Looking to buy/adopt a dog. Any tips?

max457

Tourist
Hello! I’m 22 and living alone, I work a full time job and have a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 adult cats. I’ve been wanting to get a dog that I can really bond with and do all the fun intimate stuff with. It’s a little scary to me because I’m very unsure how to find a dog and what I should do when it comes to training. I’m fully devoted to taking care of him and supporting him, but I’m just very unsure where or how to start. I kind of want him to not be neutered for obvious reasons but I know most shelters do that automatically. I’m from the tennesee area so if anyone local has any tips, or if you’re from far and you have tips. Let me know :)

I’d recommend searching for people giving away/selling dogs on Facebook. You’ll have a lot more luck finding an intact dog through there than you will in a shelter or a rescue. I found my intact redbone hound from someone on Facebook for 20 bucks lol

fist dont get a dog and expect to get sexual
get him from a local breeder or look for a private second hand dog - if vet or other ask why not neuter him tell them its ur decision
be ready for alot work and learning - start with dog school/private 1 on 1 training if possible

and be aware that u get 10-15y (hopefully+) of responsibility in good AND in bad times

if possible get a good dog healthcare insurance and a insurance which can cover damage which he maybe does

get as much free time/holiday when u get the dog and be sure that u have a dogsitter or similar when u work full time

I think like anyone etc whether intimacy happens is a fluid thing and wont know til many hours spent building trust and a bond first. So set expectation that it may not happen then if it does bonus. Given its an apartment with 2 other animals you will need to search small to medium breeds that can cope well with other animals. Since you have limited space will be out at work etc and other animals a rescue would be a bad idea. As limited knowledge of history and trauma etc. So probably need to find a puppy fairly young to bring up with your cats as siblings. In terms of training you will need mainly to focus on training around leaving it home alone. So go out and come back initially at very short intervals. So few mins then come back in. Do same routine each time. That way it will reduce or eliminate anxiety and barking whining destruction etc. Give it plenty of love and toys. Exercise as often as possible. Being apartment will limit room to run etc so need to get rid of that energy. Those are the most basic training things I can think of to help you. But absolutely research the breeds of any mixed pups to see what natural temperments are to know if that will work for you. Eg jack russels are small dogs but high energy and need alot of play. Whereas golden labs etc are more likely to be ok sitting around but much larger breed. As for finding non neutered might pay to find accidental breedings that they need to get rid of etc.

Back