Living with a labrador or golden retriever

Estafantom

Citizen of Zooville
I think those two breed would fit my lifestyle when I can afford adopting a dog. What is your experience owning those two breed/or mutt related in daily life such as energy level, need of cuddles...?

I'd pay extra close attention to the lineage and weight/height since at the lower end of standard they can be fairly small, especially important with bitches for a guy who's average or above for penis size.

They tend to require a good bit of exercise and daily work to keep them from amusing themselves in ways you might not appreciate.
Fetch, treadmills, scentwork, lots of ways to exercise them but most will require activity multiple times a day for at least their first 5+ years before they start to settle.
Labs are prone to barking, so something to consider if there are close neighbors.
Both breeds run the gauntlet from independent and aloof to velcro dogs you couldn't lose if you tried.

Both tend to be very food motivated with a strong prey drive, so tend to be easier to train than some more aloof and indepenedent breeds.

I'd pay extra close attention to the lineage and weight/height since at the lower end of standard they can be fairly small, especially important with bitches for a guy who's average or above for penis size.

They tend to require a good bit of exercise and daily work to keep them from amusing themselves in ways you might not appreciate.
Fetch, treadmills, scentwork, lots of ways to exercise them but most will require activity multiple times a day for at least their first 5+ years before they start to settle.
Labs are prone to barking, so something to consider if there are close neighbors.
Both breeds run the gauntlet from independent and aloof to velcro dogs you couldn't lose if you tried.

Both tend to be very food motivated with a strong prey drive, so tend to be easier to train than some more aloof and indepenedent breeds.
I'm planning on finding a male of at least 5yo so I don't go trough the puppy energy. I like going on at least 1 hour walk with dogs with plenty of sniffing, swimming and would like to try canicross with a bike! Lickmats/kongs/puzzles are easy to do and great to add on top of walk.

I'm looking for a clingy, cuddly and non-protective dog so I will focus on finding the best profile by talking with the people who would want to rehome their pup.

I'm ready to work on training (positive reinforcement) if some behaviours are not so great tho!

I never had a dog myself, but my friend has retriever. They such awesome dogs with kind soul, they definitely on the same vibe with me

My boy was a Golden, great breed, but plagued with health problems due to their popularity making them prime targets for inbreeding puppy mills. It's so bad that the AKC doesn't recommend breeding if the 2 dogs were obtained anywhere within the same region of the country, because odds are their lineage can be traced back to one or two 80s-90s era puppy mills.

I'm a lazy person, so I never took him on "long walks", and am an apartment dweller so no yard for him to be able to run off leash in. He was a very destructive puppy, but once he moved past the puppy stage the sedentary lifestyle didn't manifest as a wild uncontrolled dog. He'd occasionally (once every few months if not longer) get into the trash while I was at work, but aside from that nothing.

Until his older age and joint problems set in he always wanted to be near me. Getting up to follow when I left the room. Sleeping in front of the door while at work, waiting for me to get home. Sleeping beside my bed every night. Old age slowed him down so he became less desiring to get up to follow for just a quick trip to the other room and back, only following if I was out of the room for a protracted period.

Wasn't much of a "cuddler" except during winter months. He'd lay on the couch or sometimes in bed for short periods most of the year, only really cuddling up to stay when it was colder out.

Very quiet. In his entire life he never once barked while outside. The only time he ever barked was in response to a surprise sound, a knock at the door or noisy neighbor in the hallway. And even then just a single alerting bark, not breaking into a 5 minute bark fest. And I'm not convinced he even did that when I wasn't home, a couple times I tried knocking on the door like a visitor when I got home instead of just straight opening the door and there wasn't a peep from him. So the bark was probably for "my benefit".

I'm planning on finding a male of at least 5yo so I don't go trough the puppy energy. I like going on at least 1 hour walk with dogs with plenty of sniffing, swimming and would like to try canicross with a bike! Lickmats/kongs/puzzles are easy to do and great to add on top of walk.

I'm looking for a clingy, cuddly and non-protective dog so I will focus on finding the best profile by talking with the people who would want to rehome their pup.

I'm ready to work on training (positive reinforcement) if some behaviours are not so great tho!

Assuming you're looking for sexual compatability as well; be aware that many adult dogs will either be neutered or have been discouraged from making sexual advances. I've known a number of males who absolutely would not mount a human. Never sure-fire, but a way to test the waters with a potential is to get down low and play with them when you're evaluating since for many dogs play can be very exciting. He might try mounting, but even if not it is a way to see how comfortable he is interacting with you without having to be in a private location.
Sex isn't everything, but if it's something you want, try to stack the odds in your favor.

That's why I will be asking first if he's neutered and if he has any mounting issues since he will be intact, an easy way to ask about a common issue without being suspicious.

Most people don't train their dogs, especially if they want to rehome. I won't jump into any profile I find anyway, and will be careful about asking the good questions and meet the dog before deciding if he's the one!

That's why I will be asking first if he's neutered and if he has any mounting issues since he will be intact, an easy way to ask about a common issue without being suspicious.

Most people don't train their dogs, especially if they want to rehome. I won't jump into any profile I find anyway, and will be careful about asking the good questions and meet the dog before deciding if he's the one!
May want to be careful how you phrase the mounting question. Like asking if there's any behaviors like mounting that you will need to address, not that it means a no go for getting him, but just that you want to not be blind sided.

Are they really energic? Or can settle after the greetings?
I have zero social life and no family nearby, so my boy wasn't socialized. As a social breed he got very excited when he'd get to greet other people or animals. Generally not jumping excited, but he was leaner even with me, so he'd be bumping into legs (including with a slobbery open month) and demanding attention.

If the person was staying around he'd calm down enough after a short time.

May want to be careful how you phrase the mounting question. Like asking if there's any behaviors like mounting that you will need to address, not that it means a no go for getting him, but just that you want to not be blind sided.
That's what I'm planning to do yes :)

I think those two breed would fit my lifestyle when I can afford adopting a dog. What is your experience owning those two breed/or mutt related in daily life such as energy level, need of cuddles...?
I have a Golden boy who is getting close to 10 months old. He has a lot of energy built in but one of his interesting features is that he’s an energy matcher. If I have high energy, he matches it and tears around like a maniac. If I have low energy, he chills and lays on the floor. I’ve been teaching him to go from high to low with the command “settle” and it’s been going great, he’s so smart! Anyway, often when I’m working in the office he’ll whine very subtly like he wants to play. Like he’s fighting to contain the energy inside.

When we get out of the truck at a trailhead it’s go-time. His energy is at max and he’s sprinting up and down the trail meeting everyone and everything. It used to be 100% always with everyone but he’s gotten good at “reading the room” so to speak, and reacting to people’s and dogs’ demeanors, matching their energy. It’s so cool to watch.

He’s very beta, which I love. I don’t want a guard dog, I wanted a pup that loves unconditionally. If a burglar came into my house, he would be wagging his tail. I’ll handle the burglar, I don’t want the man to have any reason to hurt my boy. Many dogs are a little skittish or mildly aggressive toward other dogs and he’s so good at carefully coaxing them to play. Ugh…so cute and fun to watch. I don’t think he would ever fight. He just lays on his back if a dog acts too aggressive and the other dog always calms down when he does that.

So yeah, if you have an active lifestyle, that’s gonna match well. They can chill but they’d really rather not and they’re only really good at chilling if they’ve burned off some energy. My pup isn’t much of a cuddler. He was born in the winter and gets hot easily. He likes to sleep on the hard floor next to the door or wherever is the coolest spot in the house. Every morning we have like 5-10 minutes of “cuddle time” where he’s just waking up and lovey and cuddly as long as I’m constantly petting him. Then his energy builds too much and I have to get out of bed lol.

He has a pretty sick setup right now. He has the run of the backyard and a doggy door to get in and out. My neighbor is retired and home all the time. We put a gate between our yards and he often hangs out with him when I’m off at work. I think this sort of setup will make a golden pretty happy.

I would urge you to reconsider the puppy energy. Honestly, the first few months were tormenting at times. Lost sleep, constant cleanups, pulling my own hair out. One time he pissed right on my head while I was trying to do some stretching on my yoga mat. Just walking across the living room, pissing the whole way, and stepped over my head…I’m not selling this very well but now that we’re through all that I feel like we have such a close bond now! I don’t have to worry about untraining bad habits and he’s so well-adjusted to his environment. It’s worth the work, I think.

Very quiet.
Mine too! The only time he growls or barks is in his sleep. I think he lives a different life in his dreams haha!

I would urge you to reconsider the puppy energy. Honestly, the first few months were tormenting at times. Lost sleep, constant cleanups, pulling my own hair out. One time he pissed right on my head while I was trying to do some stretching on my yoga mat. Just walking across the living room, pissing the whole way, and stepped over my head…I’m not selling this very well but now that we’re through all that I feel like we have such a close bond now! I don’t have to worry about untraining bad habits and he’s so well-adjusted to his environment. It’s worth the work, I think.
I really don't want to take a young puppy, I'm not the most active person either and the bond will grow with time even if I'm not his first human. I'll do my best to become his favorite ✨

Never had a hyper Labrador. Both were low energy.

First one was bold, confident, obedient and knew his strength. Wonderful calm personality. Loved cuddling, was almost a lapdog. He was the perfect example of how a lab should act. However healthwise he was a total mess. His He had orthopedic issues, so he couldn't sit like a normal dog. Didn't effect mobility too much and effected his gait a bit. He would have these weird spells where he was suddenly listless and weak, but be better the next day. Chalked it up to his bad orthopedics causing acute pain. Had a weird bump on his foot which slowly grown over the years. Became really worried it was cancer. Vet thought it was a harmless cyst. It became more and more apparent he was living in pain. Then one day he was on the floor and couldn't get up. He had hermangiosarcoma an incurable cancer that kills suddendly with little warning. Goldens and labs are prone to this. The listless spells he had over the years is because of internal bleeding due to one of the tumors springing a leak. Dog battled cancer and pain for about 4 years died at 6 years old. His life was short and had a hard beginning. His love shone twice as hard as any other dog.

Second one. Cowardly, meek, yet frustratingly stubborn and disobedient when he really wants something. Is simultaneously wanting to play with, but very afraid of other dogs. Loves eating indigestable objects. Previous owners were likely a very turbulent household. If something scares him and gives him a bad experience, he will remember it forever. Except for skunks of course, he doesn't learn the lesson on those. Would only sleep under the bed. It took actually a couple of years for him to sleep on the bed next to you. Has hot streaks and cold streaks with cuddling. Love him still, but not nearly the same as the first and will never be that dog.

Two dogs, same breed same gender. Both had rough starts, both friendly and affectionate, but very different in their level of confidence. The second dog will always be nervous and phobic and will be for life.

Had 2 other breeds highly known for hyperactivity yet it didn't manifest. I think I'm winning over blind chance on this one. Don't know exactly how. Hyperactivity may be a more mutable trait than others.

Chiming in here to say that a Labrador's high food motivation also means that they're probably gonna eat something they shouldn't, so don't be surprised if you have to make a trip to the emergency vet to get his stomach pumped! (I learned that the hard way)

Over the years I've had the pleasure of having a couple labs and goldens as well as a lab/dane mix, first one was an adult lab that absolutely was going swimming in any water she came across, perfectly calm and easy going in every aspect otherwise. My first golden I raised from a puppy, extremely high energy and ball oriented dog, if it was roundish and she could pick it up it was a ball. The labradane was the cuddlebug of the bunch, and a huge couch potato whenever I was inside, another very high energy girl that loved to run around and play then lay around all day in bed.

Chiming in here to say that a Labrador's high food motivation also means that they're probably gonna eat something they shouldn't, so don't be surprised if you have to make a trip to the emergency vet to get his stomach pumped! (I learned that the hard way)

Early training to redirect inappropriate chewing as well as a soild drop/leave it pays off in spades.

I wouldn't mind having a retriever or a lab. Good dogs.

My cousin's had an intact male lab for over a decade, and any time I visited, I had to pretend to not be looking anywhere near his underside even though I would when no one was looking 🤤

Back