If You Had a Choice... What Times Would You Have Lived In?

Andaluciak9

Zooville Settler
Hopefully, I´ve placed this in the right section. It´s my first thread.

I was thinking today, if I had a choice of what times I could have lived in, when would it be? I wondered if anyone else ever thought the same.

For me, in Rome at the height of the Empire. Not as a slave, but someone further up the social pecking order. I think I would have loved the sexual freedoms.

If you had a choice, when would you have wanted to live and why?

Several hundreds or possibly thousands of years from now, when humanity has outgrown greed, xenophobia, and other petty hangups. When we've grown up as a species.
A time of technological immortality, where each person lives as long as they choose to, be it for a hundred days or a hundred million years.
A time of morphological freedom, where this strange obsession with the human form is long gone - why do we put human faces on everything? It's agonizingly boring. - and each person is free to take whatever form they choose, be it biological, synthetic, or anything in between.
A time when people focus less on grabbing up as much as they can before they die like everyone else, and more on just living, learning, and loving with the existence they've been so graciously given.
There's probably a lot of other things to say about it, but that's just off the top of my head.

Several hundreds or possibly thousands of years from now, when humanity has outgrown greed, xenophobia, and other petty hangups. When we've grown up as a species.
A time of technological immortality, where each person lives as long as they choose to, be it for a hundred days or a hundred million years.
A time of morphological freedom, where this strange obsession with the human form is long gone - why do we put human faces on everything? It's agonizingly boring. - and each person is free to take whatever form they choose, be it biological, synthetic, or anything in between.
A time when people focus less on grabbing up as much as they can before they die like everyone else, and more on just living, learning, and loving with the existence they've been so graciously given.
There's probably a lot of other things to say about it, but that's just off the top of my head.
Interesting - I never thought of going forward in time!

Interesting - I never thought of going forward in time!
The overall trend of society seems to be upward as time passes; time brings new atrocities but also new wonders, and the good seems to slowly outweigh the bad more and more, bit by bit. We do indeed seem to be moving forward as a species, even with setbacks here and there. So I'd definitely rather run ahead than go back.

Interesting question and like others, I had not considered the future as an option. This is very clever thinking and I am glad you posed it.

And one must consider place as well as time, particularly when looking into the past. My answer is slightly myopic in that I think the 60s in the United States would be an interesting time and place to inhabit. As this is a fantasy, we will exclude the awfulness that was present (Racism, Vietnam, etc.) and focus on the spiritual awakening that took place during this time. We witnessed this generation largely ascend from the social rigor imposed by previous generations. Music was utilized as an information conduit and served largely to bond people rather than to divide them. The concept of love was explored and elevated beyond the social boundaries that had previously constrained it.

I am sure it would not take a whole lot to assail this fantasy of mine, but on the surface it sounds like fun to me.

Back