I don't understand how it could happen so fast.

gsdmixg

Citizen of Zooville
When we got up in the morning, he was totally normal. I stopped by the store to get him some treats and a new toy while I was out. He first started to act uneasy and show symptoms shortly after I'd come home and fed him. It was only 5 hours later that he was actively dying and I had to make the decision to euthanize him. During that final hour all the whining and pacing he'd been doing had stopped, but I could see it in his face how much he was suffering. He just looked so tired and defeated, wanting to rest his head in my chest.

I can't help but think of all the ways I could have acted differently. I shouldn't have fed him more than usual, I should've taken him to the vet sooner. I did my fair share of sobbing in the first 24 hours after but now 3 days later I just feel absolutely empty and blank. I feel hardly any emotions typing this out right now. Just going through the motions with no intention or purpose in anything. I've never had to grieve a dog before and this wasn't what I expected it to be like.

I feel like I took having him so much for granted. Life has been super busy lately and I treated him almost as if he was just one chore among many. I would give anything to have those few weeks beforehand back so I could take the time to really be with him, he deserved so much more than me.

Im so sorry for your loss, I'm sure you were there giving him lots of love in his final moments❤️. Everybody grieves differently, especially if it's your 1st time losing a fur baby.

But from what I can see, it was a freak incident and I doubt you would've been able to do much. I'm sure it was his time to go.🙁

Im sure that for all the time that you did have him, that he enjoyed every second. It's hard not to get swallowed up by life's every day hardships such as work. 😔

Do you know what caused him to pass away?

When we got up in the morning, he was totally normal. I stopped by the store to get him some treats and a new toy while I was out. He first started to act uneasy and show symptoms shortly after I'd come home and fed him. It was only 5 hours later that he was actively dying and I had to make the decision to euthanize him. During that final hour all the whining and pacing he'd been doing had stopped, but I could see it in his face how much he was suffering. He just looked so tired and defeated, wanting to rest his head in my chest.

I can't help but think of all the ways I could have acted differently. I shouldn't have fed him more than usual, I should've taken him to the vet sooner. I did my fair share of sobbing in the first 24 hours after but now 3 days later I just feel absolutely empty and blank. I feel hardly any emotions typing this out right now. Just going through the motions with no intention or purpose in anything. I've never had to grieve a dog before and this wasn't what I expected it to be like.

I feel like I took having him so much for granted. Life has been super busy lately and I treated him almost as if he was just one chore among many. I would give anything to have those few weeks beforehand back so I could take the time to really be with him, he deserved so much more than me.
*Hugs* 🫂

I wish there was a simple way to ease the pain, but for now, take the time you need to grieve. I've cared for many pets in my life and I've seen a couple of them pass. It always feels like it happens with no warning, no reason. It makes us question our efforts and if we ever truly did enough.
Just remember, we all get this one beautiful, chaotic life. I have no doubt in my mind your companion loved you to no end and appreciated your love, even though you may think it wasn't enough. They got to experience their share of this life, and I'm sure it meant everything to your companion that you were there in those final moments.

Take your time to cry and let out what you need to. In time, you'll heal. Eventually, you'll be able to push on, and keep your love forever in your soul and memories.

Take care. Much love to you and my condolences.

I'm so sorry for your loss, you mentioned feeding him extra, does that mean it was bloat that took him from you, if that is the case it's a nasty thing and time is critical, but it's easy to overlook the signs if you don't know what your looking at.

No matter what the reason he was taken from you, you shouldn't doubt he loved you and I'm also sure he knew you cared deeply for him. It's easy to say what if in hind sight, but try not let yourself dwell on things you have no power to change. I like to believe those 4 leggers we have lost still walk beside us each day in spirit and are burnt into our memories. I hope you can get over the pain one day and be able to think back fondly of the time you spent together in happier times.

Peace be with you now though.

A few years ago I had to put down my girl. I had to be cruel to be kind as her body was shutting down due to old age. I wept for weeks and swore I would never get a replacement dog. I will never ever forget her and when I reflect back on my times with her I too can live with the "what if" thoughts. What I have realised is that in their life with us they are very devoted to us and they appreciate every moment with us. No matter how long or short that moment may have been. I loved my fur baby very much and protected her with my life. When she passed away I was lost and felt very empty. I still feel empty today but have learned that the circle of life can be a cruel one. Appreciate the time you had with your boy. Im sure the time with him created good memories. Remember him for the good times and NOT the what ifs. He has now moved on and so should you. Its not easy but remember that life doesnt stop for anyone or anything. Carry him in your heart and in your mind. Where ever he may now be you will join him one day in the future. Its only a matter of time. Im looking forward to the day when I leave this world and rejoin my girl. I just hope that in the spiritual world we can still hug and cuddle each other.

Grieving is so rough, especially with all the second-guessing. I've never been spiritual or religious, but performing a ceremony of rememberance eventually helped me find some peace and come to terms with the loss. Your love for your dog comes across so clearly, and I'm sure it was always clear to him too.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Just try to remember the good times you shared with him. I'm also sorry that you can't have any sort of ceremony to console you while you grieve for the loss of your loved one. Rituals help with the grieving process.

Back