Hyperkeratosis

Daneζ

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
Well me and my girl might be taking a trip to the vet soon. Her paws have looked different, or at least for as long as I can remember. I got her at 4 months old. They almost have little hard hairs on her pads and toes. But they never cause her problems, and she never acts like her feet bother her, so I never really thought much of it. But today I looked it up just because I was curious of why they looked like that, and that’s where I learned about hyperkeratosis. It is basically where they produce too much keratin and it starts to accumulate on places like their paws and nose. It can cause problems with cracking and getting infected. Luckily if this is what is going on with my girl, it has not gotten to that point yet. I do plan on taking her to the vet tho just to have it checked out. And if it does end up being hyperkeratosis, maybe a way to treat it before it gets bad. I don’t know a lot about this because I just learned about it today, so if anyone else knows anything, or any other reasons her paws would be looking like this, please let me know. I’ll post some pictures down below for reference.
944082C5-0A2C-4F62-A7B4-CCF1FD8B9902.jpeg5626294B-9821-4375-B62E-1034044D5FB9.jpeg

T
Here's some reading material about it for you:

Thank you 🙏.

Well me and my girl might be taking a trip to the vet soon. Her paws have looked different, or at least for as long as I can remember. I got her at 4 months old. They almost have little hard hairs on her pads and toes. But they never cause her problems, and she never acts like her feet bother her, so I never really thought much of it. But today I looked it up just because I was curious of why they looked like that, and that’s where I learned about hyperkeratosis. It is basically where they produce too much keratin and it starts to accumulate on places like their paws and nose. It can cause problems with cracking and getting infected. Luckily if this is what is going on with my girl, it has not gotten to that point yet. I do plan on taking her to the vet tho just to have it checked out. And if it does end up being hyperkeratosis, maybe a way to treat it before it gets bad. I don’t know a lot about this because I just learned about it today, so if anyone else knows anything, or any other reasons her paws would be looking like this, please let me know. I’ll post some pictures down below for reference.
View attachment 178180View attachment 178182
Hope she is okay.

My boy (a Lab Retriever) has had Hyperkeratosis on his front paws since he was a pup. For him it's hereditary and common in Labs and Golden Retrievers, but I believe in less common cases it can be cause by an immune over reaction to an unrelated illness .
My vet just advised to walk him more on hard surfaces like concrete or paved roads to wear his pads down, which did the trick as our walks were mostly on soft grass or dirt trails before. I also take antiseptic cream, dog boots and bandages on trips but I can't remember the last time we needed them.
Hopefully you got her to a vet and it's nothing serious :gsd_happysmile:

Back