How to help strays?

BiggestDumb

Tourist
So despite how this sounds I'm genuinely asking how I would help out a stray dog? I tried to early today but neither one of them would come to me. It was a really bad spot for them to right next to the freeway. They refused to go to me and had collars. Idk about name tags. But my main question is how do I help a lost/stray dog? I may try seeing if they were okay with sexual stuff but that is secondary the primary thing would be to get the animal to a safer spot. I guess my first question is how do I tell them I friendly without looking like a crazy person to the public? Then what should I do if they don't have a name tag? Call animal control? I actually can't take them home longer than a night to find their owners. Now hopefully I don't sound like I'm just wanting to go out there and have sex with strays because that's not my goal. I just want to know how I should help a lost dog/stray when I come across them. Also I know there's a difference between strays and lost dogs. And well I'm asking for both. In regards to sexual stuff I feel i don't need advice there as I am very heavy about consent and would NEVER force it upon the animal.

I guess my first question is how do I tell them I friendly without looking like a crazy person to the public?
Do not care about that at all. You are helping an animal, all the people watching you decided not to help. So you do whatever is necessary.
If the dogs frequently reside in some place and they are very shy of you, you can visit them more often and build a bit of trust. Offer food but slowly, they are likely not going to take it from your hand right away. Use something irresistible like meat, boiled meat or wet dog food.
Do not appear threatening, sit down, do not look directly at them, or turn around and let them come. If they do not appear dangerous.

I may try seeing if they were okay with sexual stuff
Only when you find out they have no owners, or the owner does not want the dog and you are going to keep the dog. Otherwise it is dishonest.

Then what should I do if they don't have a name tag? Call animal control?
Keep the dog or give the dog to someone who wants a dog. Depending on where you live, surrendering the dog to animal control will either mean death for the dog or castration and death a few months later if they are not adopted. This is why the thing above is dishonest.
In my country dogs have chips with id a vet can read them. A vet is probably also going to give you advice on what to do with the dog locally if you can not keep the dog. Or if it is lost dog the vet may even know the dog or ask other vets who might know the dog.

Also, if they do not come near, just leave them some food... in the opposite direction of the highway. Basically try to make them understand anything interesting is far from the road.(your smell on the kibble will also help you next time)

If they are not cared and are wearing collars... someone needs to check that. Sometimes collars create very serious wounds and abrasions.

Getting hold of them... that would take time and patience, knowing how to make yourself look reliable to them and even with that an stray can take months of work at home to become a house pet, and you may taste their teeth in the process. But when they do come to fully rely on you... lovely companions you can depend on, and very fulfilling because of all the work and results.

If they're lost they may be very difficult to help. A lost dog thrown into an unknown situation will go into a feral state. Dogs have a switch in their brain that puts them into a fight or flight mode and turns them into a very different animal. A normally friendly dog will become terrified and completely avoid people, even those trying to help them. They'll just run. That's why many lost dog posters say "do not chase or attempt to call to you".

Yes, I was after an stray living near for about two years. Came as he saw me, hand fed him, almost let me touch his face, would even follow. Then, every time I was really, really, really close to get him, animal control would barge in trying to catch him and, Back I was to square one. One or two month to recover confidence.

He finally suddenly dissapeared without explanation. I really liked that boy.

Okay so from my understanding if I saw a stray. The best course of action would be to slowly build trust with them while finding a home for them? Like visiting them every now and then and giving them food/water and making sure they are okay. Like leaving food in one area for them for a while before slowly trying to establish a relationship with them
Do not care about that at all. You are helping an animal, all the people watching you decided not to help. So you do whatever is necessary.
If the dogs frequently reside in some place and they are very shy of you, you can visit them more often and build a bit of trust. Offer food but slowly, they are likely not going to take it from your hand right away. Use something irresistible like meat, boiled meat or wet dog food.
Do not appear threatening, sit down, do not look directly at them, or turn around and let them come. If they do not appear dangerous.

Only when you find out they have no owners, or the owner does not want the dog and you are going to keep the dog. Otherwise it is dishonest.

Keep the dog or give the dog to someone who wants a dog. Depending on where you live, surrendering the dog to animal control will either mean death for the dog or castration and death a few months later if they are not adopted. This is why the thing above is dishonest.
In my country dogs have chips with id a vet can read them. A vet is probably also going to give you advice on what to do with the dog locally if you can not keep the dog. Or if it is lost dog the vet may even know the dog or ask other vets who might know the dog.

and introduce them to a new owner, because I would also be looking for one during that time. I honestly can't have another dog here. My landlord kinda sucks and only let's me have my one dig.

Yes. You can also watch some people do that on youtube which might get you some more tips.

It is a case by case depending on the reactions.

Try giving interesting food by hand, leave him food and water in a safe place, build trust.

BUT it will be better if the person helping him was the one keeping him. Think of it from the dog point of view, taking time to come to trust one person just to be "abandoned" to an unknown place and people. Not the best idea...

Back