How much do you know about computers?

Check everything that applies to you. If unsure, don't check:

• I know how to turn a computer on :P

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • I know what a web browser is.

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • I know what HTML is.

Votes: 45 77.6%
  • I know the difference between raster and vector graphics.

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • I wrote some javascript code at some point.

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • I have made a bootable device and used it to install OS.

Votes: 37 63.8%
  • I have written a few simple programs.

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • I have written at least one lambda function.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I know the difference between symetric and asymetric ciphers and what they can be used for.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I have written some assembly code.

Votes: 17 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ryirkil

Citizen of Zooville
Studies point out that their samples can be biased because of over representation of "computer literate" people. But I haven't seen anything more than just stating it. Why don't we check how the numbers look like here?

I had to be sure the answers make sense, so there are none above my level and they are leaning to the programming side. Hopefully it's balanced enough.

I was only able to read the first two options. The rest looked like it was in Russian, lmao.

Guess this makes me computer illiterate.

A good bit to have my own home datacenter. 1U dell poweredge running Unraid, a Pfsense router, with a cisco managed 1GB switch inline with a 100mb cisco switch used for non-important applications. I'm more of a network guru.

I began computers when knowing actual machine code for 6502 or 6510 and Z80 or TMS9900 was the only way without a BASIC cartridge inserted in the slot. Heathkit and the Altair were in the back of magazines for only half a year's salary.
Younglings have it so amazingly easy. Enjoy your life kids and from those of us who built it for you, you're welcome!

I began computers when knowing actual machine code for 6502 or 6510 and Z80 or TMS9900 was the only way without a BASIC cartridge inserted in the slot. Heathkit and the Altair were in the back of magazines for only half a year's salary.
Younglings have it so amazingly easy. Enjoy your life kids and from those of us who built it for you, you're welcome!

Yo, what the... that's really tough. And impressive. I certainly will enjoy the fruits of said building, thank you.

[EDIT] Apparently someone doesn't know how to turn a computer on. INTERESTING.

[EDIT] Apparently someone doesn't know how to turn a computer on. INTERESTING.
With things like Google Assistant and Alexa, you don't even really need to anymore.
There is a certain satisfaction and pride in being able to actually do things ;)

I know a lot about computers and networking, however I want to learn more about coding soon.

well I ran a IT company for 14 years , they sold the company so I went to the easy life of commercial fishing . the IT company was to stressful and I always loved to be on the water and in the swamps ;)

Back