Help.

dogwoof

Lurker
Oh My for the past 6 months all thats been on my mind was my brand new aussie puppy, I dont know why but I feel the need to put my heart and soul into raising my new best friend and would drop anything to help her. I want to try other things with her when shes grown older too but the main problem is my mom is planing to get her spayed. Bad. First, In my opinion i see it as inhumane and cruel anyways but this would also discourage her from probably any sexual activities which is another bummer :( I have done research on why or why not to spay and the side affects of spaying too early, which is probally whats going to happen, so does anyone have any advice on how convince my mother into keeping her intact or atleast waiting longer to be sure she is past puberty. Not Settled either but I have planned to move out and take her with me in the next 2-3 years so thats another thing. I’ve been on this website for a bit now but I just recently created this account just to post this.

If she is your dog, then you should be the one deciding what happens to her.
There is a couple of threads about this and some go even as far as threatening to sue their own parents if they castrate their dog without their permission.

you still live at home?
Yes people do that for example because of school and the high cost of having your own living while you study an expensive/difficult university.
Plus having a puppy while you study and have the benefit of your family members taking care of the puppy while you are away helps out with various problems and socialization.

I think, if you live with your mom, it's probably time for you to move into the big world on your own. It's not your house, not your rules. It may be your dog, but as long as you are living in someone else's house a lot of the things you might feel are your decisions, are not your decisions.

From a mom's point of view is possibly nothing to do with "you will be screwing the pooch" at all. Most people will not even think of that.

It is possibly more "female dogs will drop blood all over the house when in heat" "male dogs pestering us" "unwanted puppies and I will be having to care about all of that"

As said above, if it is your mother house, it ends being her rules while there. You can try talk her about it, but in the end it will be her asking for conditions to keep the dog home.

Just something that *could* help meeting in a middle point. Google for "OSS" (Ovary Sparing Spay) (or use forum search). It is a "new" way of sterilization that keeps hormones and sexual activity quite intact and has some suposedly heath advantage over spaying.

You should be careful with the limitations though. That breed is not very big and if cervix is gone you really want to be slow and careful about the limits

Yes, and if anything, a mop solves it quick.

Still, that is one of the usual reasons for the "lets spay as soon as we can" among non dog persons.

Bought my golden retriever as a puppy while living at home, one time my mom mentioned having her spayed and a strong "No" was the end of the discussion, my dog, my responsibility and my money payed for her and her care, parents or not there comes a time when telling them the fact that they don't own something and therefore have absolutely no say in the matter is required.

Get the animal registered under your name tell your mom that its your responsibility to take care of her and if she keeps pushing the matter find a new place to live. You shouldn't have tried to have an animal relationship while living at home to begin with. But if you plan on going through with this be prepared to be paranoid af stay alert and don't get caught. And you better have a contingency plan just in case you do.

Thing is, even if it is your dog and your responsability, it is still up to the owner of the house you are living, to set the rules to keep a pet there, be it a rented apartment or your parents house.

Different case from another poster who lived in his own house, even if it was in front and her mother was always there. Then yes, you may kick her out or call the police in her anytime.

So, talk, convince, reach an agreement, or go away elsewhere if you can afford it.

tell your mom that its your responsibility to take care of her and if she keeps pushing the matter find a new place to live.
This is the only hard part, If its a responsibility thing I will do everything I can to show her that I can but that starts with asking her not to spay. How would one even start a question like that, and im not quite sure what exactly I could say in a certain order to convince her, shes always more anxious after she gets off a work, or maybe just less tired? Should I ask her before or after? I already have an idea of what to say but any help would be appreciated.

Spaying influences psychological development of the animal. So doing that before reaching adult age is a stupid idea, even some vets will tell you that.
Then what usually works is that why should you cut parts of your animal out when they have a reason for being in the animal.

Spaying influences psychological development of the animal. So doing that before reaching adult age is a stupid idea, even some vets will tell you that.
Then what usually works is that why should you cut parts of your animal out when they have a reason for being in the animal.
Thing is... Families...

A son, PhD and veterinary carreer gives an accurate explanation, reasons, shows published stadistics and studies from different universities defending not to spay.

The lady selling dog toys at the pet shop makes a comment of how good is her dog after the spay.

Who do you think has more credibility to his mother?
😁

Nobody is profeth in his own place...

• Haha
Reactions: pes
Tell her the negatives towards getting an animal neutered. Tell her that you don't want to neuter your animal because you wouldn't get neutered yourself in order to keep human population down. That you're against having unnecessary surgeries done to animals all for the sake of convenience. Or the fact that animals that don't get neutered live happier fuller lives because they have the correct amount of hormones and they are actually able to grow normally. Other than that there's a thread on here somewhere stating the benefits and downsides to spaying. I'll link it if I find it.

Back