Help; False Pregnancy

Cookies1331

Tourist
Yesterday my girl started whining and carrying around a bunch of toys. Trying to hide/nest under my bed. The vet states its a false pregnancy. Has anybody here dealt with this and do you have any tips to help her go through it?

It is quite usual, not to worry.

In any case, Why ask here? Your vet is your... best bet to get useful tips, as he is the pro and also knows the animal.

Your vet should tell you what to do. And there are entire articles online that describe this even book about dog keeping that discuss this. Those sources will have complete and well though out information as opposed to a bunch of short posts on here. Start with your vet.

I assume you mean homeopathic and in that case if you want your dog to actually get better. Use something that is not based on placebo.

Hi,

It's a medicine based on bach flowers, it's not powerful as well a "traditional" medicine, but this "light" medicine have real benefits on dog health.

Dog don't care about Placebo, if it works, the dog don't lie : it works !

This treatment worked for the false pregnancy of my girl.

I am not a veterinarian, but I am convinced of this treatment by its result, so go ask your veterinarian's opinion and investigate this bach flower treatment for yourself.

It is quite usual, not to worry.

In any case, Why ask here? Your vet is your... best bet to get useful tips, as he is the pro and also knows the animal.
It great for you to assume I havent already done that. They say theres nothing they can do. So I came here to ask for help. Tips and tricks

Your vet should tell you what to do. And there are entire articles online that describe this even book about dog keeping that discuss this. Those sources will have complete and well though out information as opposed to a bunch of short posts on here. Start with your vet.
I have already talked to them. They told me they cant do anything. So i came here to ask anybody who has dealt with it for tips and tricks that helped them

False pregnancies are quite regular, some dog breeds more often, some less.

I just care and handle female dogs the same as always, no special handling. They are very well cared for, but it does not help to "show them that you are here 24/7" if they - without factual reasons - tend to gain your attention. It just gives them manipulative power without reasons.

It also helped a lot to distract them. This means: outdoor activities aside "walking", more on the sportive end, media entertainment for the dogs (if they show interest in movies, as examples) and comparable.

Didn't remove their plushies / toys but I prevented them from stealing, snagging different new "toys". Same rules all the time, no exceptions for false pregnancies.

Took around two weeks in all three cases on two different dogs and they were back to usual behavior.

Just make sure that there are NO physical reasons building up, no pyometra occurring and comparable. As this might at one point result in symptoms, which could be false interpreted as well. If your veterinary says, there's no bodily reason or illness, then all is fine.

It great for you to assume I havent already done that. They say theres nothing they can do. So I came here to ask for help. Tips and tricks
Usually goes away by itself, no big worries, and if the vet says there is nothing to do that is possibly fine.

But as vets go, I hope they are better dealing with animals than with people or I'd think of changing to another.

They failed to reassure you about your worries.
They also failed at giving you a list of things that could mean things were going well or bad so you could check.
And, yes, a list like @YanchaOkami wrote would have been nice too.

They told me they cant do anything.
Not a good vet though. They should have told you what to expect or how to deal with it or that you should not worry and how to prevent that the next time. And stuff like that.
I do not have a female dog and I never had to deal with this problem, but even I know a little about it for example that you should not leave toys around and cuddle too much with her during this time to lower the risk of false pregnancy.

I do not have a female dog and I never had to deal with this problem, but even I know a little about it for example that you should not leave toys around and cuddle too much with her during this time to lower the risk of false pregnancy.
It depends - I would never suggest any owner to remove the established toys or areas of their partner / pets.

That's something disturbing in terms of the pets established safety concept, basically it's personal space and safe home.
Cuddling is absolutely fine, but overdoing it, because the dog whines or is hyper active, restless, whatever - that's a bad decision. Just handling it the same as all the time outside of "false pregnancy" gives from my experience a very all-time stable concept of reasonable safety, behavior to expect and the times I had to handle with a false pregnancy were almost the same as outside of it.

I tend to use in-ear headphones, if my or the cared-for dogs think they can expect more attention or positive attitude by sheer annoyance. Always making sure, they are not actually acting out of physical problems, illnesses and comparable.

If as example a pyometra occurs, this would mostly result in pee accidents or lots of drinking, eventually pain, lots of panting, behavior which actually shows clear "goals". Example: Dogs want to go outside. Not just annoy you, but basically show you they want to go outside.

Puss or blood, irregular urine depleting, all such things require proper care and a veterinary to analyze it. But if the veterinary tells: "bodily all is fine", then there's no need to stress yourself (not you, @pes , but the people experiencing the false pregnancy) about it, stay calm. Distraction works well. I went to bicycle tours with my dog, as well letting her run / pull and partly carrying her in trailer, and she was not attention-craving or showing false pregnancy symptoms while enjoying the time.

It depends - I would never suggest any owner to remove the established toys or areas of their partner / pets.
I should have been more specific there. The article I have this from was talking about plush toys. Basically things that kind of resemble puppies. But I am going to leave this to people who have more than theoretical knowledge about this.
I have always had male dogs.

Not a good vet though. They should have told you what to expect or how to deal with it or that you should not worry and how to prevent that the next time. And stuff like that.
So dont cuddle with her too much then. Alright and i need to put up the toys.

That's something disturbing in terms of the pets established safety concept, basically it's personal space and safe home.
Cuddling is absolutely fine, but overdoing it, because the dog whines or is hyper active, restless, whatever - that's a bad decision. Just handling it the same as all the time outside of "false pregnancy" gives from my experience a very all-time stable concept of reasonable safety, behavior to expect and the times I had to handle with a false pregnancy were almost the same as outside of it.

I tend to use in-ear headphones, if my or the cared-for dogs think they can expect more attention or positive attitude by sheer annoyance. Always making sure, they are not actually acting out of physical problems, illnesses and comparable.

If as example a pyometra occurs, this would mostly result in pee accidents or lots of drinking, eventually pain, lots of panting, behavior which actually shows clear "goals". Example: Dogs want to go outside. Not just annoy you, but basically show you they want to go outside.

Puss or blood, irregular urine depleting, all such things require proper care and a veterinary to analyze it. But if the veterinary tells: "bodily all is fine", then there's no need to stress yourself (not you, @pes , but the people experiencing the false pregnancy) about it, stay calm. Distraction works well. I went to bicycle tours with my dog, as well letting her run / pull and partly carrying her in trailer, and she was not attention-craving or showing false pregnancy symptoms while enjoying the time.
Alright. Ill put some of these things in place thank you for the advice. Ill make sure I get her physically checked by the vet too. Just to be sure its no pyometra or something similar

Back