German Shepherds

I used to have a German Shepherd. She started off as a family dog, but she spent so much time with me that everyone started calling her mine. Our relationship was strictly platonic because she was an older spayed female, but we were still great friends. She was very tolerable with my younger siblings pull on her ears or lay on her. She was an extremely loyal dog. She however did not like to sleep in my bed. She was sleep every night laying up against by bedroom door. I always figured this was her way of protecting me while I slept.

German shepherds are so wonderful and smart.. absolutely love the breed. But unfortunately one of the most misunderstood breeds as well. So many shepherds I see out there are socially, educationally and just generally uncared for..
Many people out there do not understand German shepherds are essentially a full time breed. Obviously as with every dog breed out there dog to dog varries. Some sedentary and others are capable of unbelievable amounts of energy.

Of all the breeds I see unfortunately gsd gets a 50/50 split between well cared for and not..
People really really need to educate themselves about the breed before even committing to one.
Welcome to my world. My family paid way too much in insurance just so I could own rotties back when I lived with them.

Dogs in general are expensive. Proper care is not cheap these days..
I was referring To the type of owners that have them along with the reputation they have around the public. Chances are if you have one in a suburban area. Your paying extra to just have them in the area of the public.

Yea it true gsd tend to have allergies and it's almost guaranteed that a pure breed will have hip displasia but that is no reason to love them any less. All dogs are prone to one thing or another. They are still lovely and beautiful.
Maybe you don’t have reputable breeders? Spend the $2000 for a of a certified, health tested solid reputable breeder and you won’t be disappointed.

This is my 2nd from the same breeder and it isn’t even comparable to previous experiences.

Attachments

• 1B57834A-7756-4083-B912-4644C4F01FC9.jpeg
    1B57834A-7756-4083-B912-4644C4F01FC9.jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 27
I can say pretty much the same. And they are on the top of my list for favorite doggos, with huskies in the second place.
One of my current dogs is a mix of GSD and Husky. Best of both worlds! He's good looking, sexy and quite a character. He's got the GSD alertness and Husky friendliness. And a big, booming bark. I won't go so far as to call him smart, though. I love him to bits, but he's a bit of a knucklehead at times. Maybe I'm just spoiled; I used to have a Border Collie.

But both breeds are heavy shedders. This time of year (early-mid summer) my place is ankle deep in hair.

Paying $2000 for anything short of an actual champion dog is beyond stupid. It's a dog, not a race horse. This is why puppy mills thrived for so long. Greed meets stupidity.

Maybe you don’t have reputable breeders? Spend the $2000 for a of a certified, health tested solid reputable breeder and you won’t be disappointed.

This is my 2nd from the same breeder and it isn’t even comparable to previous experiences.
if only the ones from "reputable breeders" didn't end up like this (the price is a joke too)
iu

i still have no idea how the sloped back became the standard for the breed in so many place, it's just sad

My boy is the sweetest dog I have ever owned, he loves everyone he meets. He goes everywhere with me aside from work, even on canoe trips. He's just a year old, I'm looking forward to taking him camping this fall!

There is a version of the GSD developed for the Soviet military in the 1930s called the Vostochnoevropejskaya Ovcharka, or East European Shepherd. They have a fairly level back, sturdy hindquarters and they look like they could actually do an honest day's work and be ready for more. They seem to have a similar temperament to the original GSD.

They are uncommon here in North America, I have met exactly one. She was a working police dog in a city where I used to work. She was very pretty, sweet and smart. That is, sweet unless you were a "bad guy" that she was asked to take down. Then she was downright scary. Her handler had small children and she was wonderful with them.

(This is obviously not her, but a random pic from the 'Net.)
Vostochnoevropejskaya-Ovcharka.jpg

Never owned one personally, but my family has. Smart dogs, loyal, really I have nothing but good things to say about them. I see other people here are able to give you far more details though.

Oh I absolutely agree with you there. Even backed way in my younger years I never liked that sloped back. It just does not look right. The dog looks broken in the back that's not the way they're supposed to stand. The original line German shepherds look nothing like any of the German shepherds out there today to be honest. Even though they've been called German shepherds all this time can they still be called German Shepherd if they have changed so radically from the original German Shepherd line? Obviously they do but I ask that question regardless
lots of breeds changed drastically over time... my guess is lots of inbreeding in chase for "perfect puppies" from "perfect parents".. i'm fairly sure there exists a study that proves the sloped back is linked to highly increased chance of hip displasia later in life, but "legit" show-dog breeders don't care... the dog doesn't need to have good health or mobility, just needs to look good and bring home some awards....
It took me weeks to get xoloitzcuintli correct in pronunciation. I have a very strong feeling that's going to take me months. That's an absolutely gorgeous breed.
or you can just use the official international name of the breed, East-European Shepherd

Paying $2000 for anything short of an actual champion dog is beyond stupid. It's a dog, not a race horse. This is why puppy mills thrived for so long. Greed meets stupidity.
Reputable breeder and puppy mills are quite different. There’s high cost associated with acquiring high quality dogs and good life long vet care of the dogs you have bred and keep after their retirement in a comfortable lifestyle. (Hints- responsible) You should be shown their facility, meet the parents. be shown the parents OFA and other certifications. You can say what you’d like or pass w/e judgements you want but I won’t be spending thousands in vet bills or behaviorist for conditions associated with bad breeding.

I am raising one right now...

Attachments

• IMG-20210816-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210816-WA0003.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20210816-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210816-WA0005.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20210816-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20210816-WA0006.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-20210816-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210816-WA0007.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 17
Reputable breeder and puppy mills are quite different. There’s high cost associated with acquiring high quality dogs and good life long vet care of the dogs you have bred and keep after their retirement in a comfortable lifestyle. (Hints- responsible) You should be shown their facility, meet the parents. be shown the parents OFA and other certifications. You can say what you’d like or pass w/e judgements you want but I won’t be spending thousands in vet bills or behaviorist for conditions associated with bad breeding.
Okay, wilbur. It's your money. Bye now.

Good dogs. Just expensive vet bills
From my professional experience, If you know what to look for and understand what application of health care is and isn’t necessary, you can avoid unnecessary vet bills. I am meticulous about choosing shepherds based on a lot of things that I personally have made a list of to kind of guide me when choosing a shepherd. Always assess the parents structure, health, hips and elbows, and most importantly, behaviour. A lot of breeders and buyers are obsessed with 2 things that I don’t personally care about - if it’s registered, and if it has a good historic bloodline. When you obsess with bloodlines so much sometimes the dogs present behaviour and structure isn’t taken in to consideration in the actual moment... because some breeders and people are so obsessed with keeping the name of the bloodline. I have seen so many special needs shepherds get even more special and develop and have problematic behaviours all because the owners/breeders only obsessed with one thing over the years of breeding... the bloodline. When this is obsessed over so much, other traits such as sharp mentality, natural intellect, environmentally sound behaviour and health tend to change because they aren’t breeding for those things, just the bloodline... I had to stop going to one breeder because she got a challenging special shepherd to use as her main stud for the future, his pups kept getting returned because his special needs behaviours were passed to his puppies. But the breeder didn’t see things like me, she just wanted to breed him because of a recognized bloodline. A lot of people don’t realize that a bloodline became renown in the first place simply because historically dogs were assessed in the moment, the genetic diversity was excellent and something new was tried... which is not what we’re doing as much of as today when it comes to breeding, instead most breeders are obsessing with keeping the bloodline name in the tree, which usually involves more line and inbreeding today. Something that the kennel clubs also encourage and I completely disagree.

This is how I assess and choose a shepherd. I assess the parents health, temperament, natural intellect, structure and sturdiness, and how environmentally sound they are. I select a shepherd that doesn’t have a lot of inbreeding in the family tree, has solid structure, good genetic diversity and sharp parents. I also see how the previous litters turned out if the breeder kept a pup or two. The most important thing to do is disregard bloodlines, and assess the dog in the now, and what it is like in the moment. Not what it’s great great great great uncle dad was capable of, what is this canine and it’s parents capable of and does it have what you are specifically looking for whether it be for working, protection or companionship.

Now. Three things you can do to really mitigate adverse health issues and cancers that a lot of people don’t realize can really ignite issues.

1. overlapping vaccines that have been proven to last the entire life of the canine when given once. Most don’t know that your average rabies vaccines lasts 15 years or longer and when you apply an annual vaccine or vaccine every three years, it overlaps the existing vaccine and this is what can ignite many life threatening and adverse health and even behavioural conditions. I’ve dedicated years of researching this and still do not know why we are doing this to canines when there are titer tests available to test whether the vaccine is still present in the canine. A titer test was invented to prove that vaccines last longer than what most vets recommend. the decision to vaccinate every year to three years is based on fear disguised as practicality. Vaccines have there awesome benefits and I use them based on what’s necessary to use in my geographic location. I will not over do it now that I’ve dedicated extensive research and tapped in to a lot of research studies. To concisely lay it out, titer your dog or only vaccinate it 2 - 3 times in its entire life and it will have less adverse effects on your canines health.

2. spaying and neutering causes serious health issues. It’s proven by stacks of research. Joint and displasia issues, thyroid issues, prostate cancer triples, blood cancers, bone cancers, irreversible behaviours, the list is 9 times longer than the benefits of spaying and neutering. There is also a 32% increased risk of adverse reactions to vaccines with spayed and neutered dogs. One police study also recorded that with the hundreds of German shepherds they observed and studied, those that were spayed or neutered were retired 2 - 3 years earlier than the intact shepherds. I don’t have to ramble on about this one because I’m sure all of us can agree here that intact is best lol.

3. don’t feed garbage. Grains, soys, by products. Not ideal and dogs don’t need them. Also avoid legumes. A lot of so called amazing brands of food that label themselves as grain free use alternative fillers - legumes usually. This are what’s responsible for leaky gut and dilated cardiomyopathy (heart issues). This was also found in a study on gorillas as the man made gorilla chow has legumes and was also linked to heart issues in the gorillas. I always do research on what brands have what ingredients and what ingredients could cause health issues or even cancers. When people ask me what I recommend for dog food the best thing to start with is by avoiding grains, soys, unnecessary filters and by products, as well as legumes. Aim for a mid grade or decent grade kibble and ween out those things. I also feed raw intermittently as well, I’ve had to because it helps my canines health extremely. Weight, gut health, and no allergy issues. I introduce it slowly in small portions and monitor how they handle it. I usually stick with a safer form of raw such as beef, beef trim, beef organs, bonemeal, and do a lab 80 10 10 mixture as it’s perfect. I’m not a sucker either. I will not pay stupid amounts of money for raw for dogs. I source good places or butchers that offer reasonable prices and in Canada there are options in every province almost for about $1.50 - $2.50 a pound. Which is cheaper than some kibbles. But if you really want to know a damn good kibble to feed - RedPaw is the shit. It doesn’t have stupidly low percentages of fat or protein, it’s just right and it’s made in America. The only thing I wish RedPaw did differently was have beef options as it is chicken and fish and pork oriented. But still outstanding quality because there’s not too many unnecessary fillers, grains, soys, by products or legumes and it is for intact dogs that burn weight faster than spayed and neutered couch potato canines lol

For those wondering, canine nutrition and biology have been my areas of study for 14 years. Graduated in wildlife biology, have trained and responsible for almost 1000 sled dogs health, nutrition and vet care at various kennels both private and touring. Additionally have worked with, trained and maintained a good genetic diversity of German shepherds since 2011. I have also raise and teach wolf education and have been in charge of one facilities wolves for many years. From feeding, health care, all to way to breeding.

Presently I have 14 canines have very rarely ever went to the vet because I apply my own basic vet care and follow the above tips I mentioned. The only reason I visit the vet is for puppy health check ups, heart murmur assessments or major surgeries. For example recently I had one puppy with a hernia my suit I made could not fix because it was way too big to heal on its own with guidance. When it comes to a lot of other things though I usually have this passion for researching heavily and diagnosing things before I even see a vet, and I have one hell of a healthy pack.

Wtf. Why? I buy dewormer for a pack of dogs for $150 and it can do like 100 dogs.
Because I have two dogs to deworm. One weighs 100 lbs and the other weighs 45 lbs. I get Drontal and then hit them again in three weeks with Panacure for three days in a row to kill any eggs that have hatched in the three week period from the initial Drontal dose. It’s pricy but it works good.

Because I have two dogs to deworm. One weighs 100 lbs and the other weighs 45 lbs. I get Drontal and then hit them again in three weeks with Panacure for three days in a row to kill any eggs that have hatched in the three week period from the initial Drontal dose. It’s pricy but it works good.
Ah yes drontal and panacure are the stuff to use. One and done. Kills everything. It is pricey too. I got a whole bottle for my canines and it was $750. I guess I shouldn’t have assumed you’re using strongid T lol. My bad.

My boy looks just like yours... LOL :D:D

Attachments

• IMG_20210822_134258.jpg
    IMG_20210822_134258.jpg
    985.9 KB · Views: 19
Back