German Shepherd dominance

lost1

Lurker
I remember reading somewhere in a discussion about dog breeds that male GSDs can be particularly dominant and have been curious for a while. So, for anyone that's being with one, is it true and how does that dominance show? How do you feel experiencing that dominance?

If you mean sexual dominance, they can be vigorous humper. Depending on the line of german shepherd you get they are very athletic and high energy which helps with that. More muscular breeds like pit bulls and rottweilers have even greater potential for thrusting hard. Rottweilers have been known to be extra pushy for sex and growl more. German shepherds don't have the same reputation for that as rottweilers do but I would guess they are above average as a breed. These are all breed tendencies but the individual dogs can vary greatly.

Behaviorally, dominance theory on dogs as popularized by TV dog trainers like Cesar Milan has been debunked. What people commonly think of as dominance issues in dogs are related to multiple other things and are more nuanced. If you want to know more about that let me know.
I do mean sexual dominance, yes. Thank you for the reply

I don’t think it is limited to German Shepard’s, I would assume most working breeds or large breeds can be dominate and can be forceful thrusting and knotting.

There is a certain degree of baked in dominance that is required. As a woman, I receive and I have to submit…he has to be dominant to a certain degree to mate with me.

It’s an interesting dynamic for sure and one that is not necessary the same for every individual male dog of every breed. They are not robots, they are individuals just like us and some are more forceful or dominant than others.

I don’t think it is limited to German Shepard’s, I would assume most working breeds or large breeds can be dominate and can be forceful thrusting and knotting.

There is a certain degree of baked in dominance that is required. As a woman, I receive and I have to submit…he has to be dominant to a certain degree to mate with me.

It’s an interesting dynamic for sure and one that is not necessary the same for every individual male dog of every breed. They are not robots, they are individuals just like us and some are more forceful or dominant than others.
LOOVE this

If you mean sexual dominance, they can be vigorous humper. Depending on the line of german shepherd you get they are very athletic and high energy which helps with that. More muscular breeds like pit bulls and rottweilers have even greater potential for thrusting hard. Rottweilers have been known to be extra pushy for sex and growl more. German shepherds don't have the same reputation for that as rottweilers do but I would guess they are above average as a breed. These are all breed tendencies but the individual dogs can vary greatly.

Behaviorally, dominance theory on dogs as popularized by TV dog trainers like Cesar Milan has been debunked. What people commonly think of as dominance issues in dogs are related to multiple other things and are more nuanced. If you want to know more about that let me know.
I really like this answer

Back