Found a neglected pregnant dog a month ago, today people claiming to be the dog's owner messaged me on FB

SultryHellhound

Citizen of Zooville
Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I found a super pregnant Chihuahua mix with no collar on a highway in Mississippi on July 1st, and she was extremely dehydrated. I first tried knocking on *every* door in the neighborhood to see if anyone knew whose dog she was. Nobody did. So then I icontacted both shelters in my county, who told me they weren't accepting any new animals for the next few months because they were overfilled. They told me to post her to their Facebook group for lost and found pets.

I then took her to the vet, who told me she was about to have her babies within the next couple of weeks, and that they could schedule a spay/termination for that Friday. She also informed me that she was riddled with hookworms, whipworms, and roundworms. So in total I paid around $250 for treatment that day. The vet also scanned her and said that she had no microchip, and also made a comment on how she must've not been taken care of very well, as she has multiple scars on her. The vet also estimated her to be around 18 months to 2 years old. I kept checking back on my post to the group, and nobody said anything on it, just a couple of likes.

The dog ended up giving birth that Wednesday , before they could do the spay. So for the past month, I've also been paying for neonatal care for the puppies. After around 3 weeks of no contact, I decided that she seemed happy enough with me, so I decided that she would stay with me. I never did remove the post.

Yesterday, I received a message on Facebook messenger about how this was her dog and that she could offer proof, which amounted to 3 or 4 photos of a dog who looked similar, but had some varying differences, like the color of the dog's nose was pinkish in one of the photos, but not the others. The dog in my possession has a fully black nose. She also claimed the dog was only 11 months old, which differed from what the vet says. The person claimed the dog went missing the day before I found her, which she could have made up based on the date of the post. That would also have meant that she wasn't responsible and let her dog get pregnant as well as not giving her proper veterinary care. She also mentioned that the dog would have had a cut on her leg, which she did not at the time that I found her.

I'm torn. One half of me thinks that she could be her dog, and the other half of me thinks that she's just trying to be a scammer. She even had one of her relatives contact my stepfather, who used to work together.

If she is in fact her dog, I'd feel really terrible about giving her back knowing that she wasn't taken care of properly, but at the same time I don't want to be a dog thief.

What on earth do I do?

Seems inconsistent to me.
The age she's saying conflicts with what the vet is saying.
She says there's a cut on the leg, that isn't there.
The pictures are similar, yet have differences, Have you tried reverse Google searching the pictures?

Ask her for reimbursement of all the medical bills. Or the dog will be staying with you. If it's really hers and she loves you she will pay. If she does hand the money over its your choice to keep it or give it back to them. I would give the money back as it was just a test to see if they loved there dog

Seems inconsistent to me.
The age she's saying conflicts with what the vet is saying.
She says there's a cut on the leg, that isn't there.
The pictures are similar, yet have differences, Have you tried reverse Google searching the pictures?
I have reversed image search and no hits. However, the woman claimed that she responds and goes by a certain name, and she showed no reaction when I called her that.

However, the woman claimed that she responds and goes by a certain name, and she showed no reaction when I called her that.
Another contradiction.
At this point, I think it's more dangerous for the dog to end up in that womans hands.

All she has is pictures, which aren't consistent.
No collar, no micro-chip, doesn't respond to the given name and no cut where one is claimed to be. You have no possible way of verifying what this woman is claiming, and the info she is giving you doesn't fit 1:1
I personally wouldn't continue the conversation with this woman.

But if you do continue; I'm with people above, mention the medical bills and inflate the numbers a bit.

I agree with the others here, it sounds like she's questionable at best, and based on the condition you found her in even if it she is telling the truth it's better for the dog to stay with someone else. I don't see any real reason you'd be obligated to continue responding to her at all

Quite frankly I don't think it matters if that is the real former owner or not. The dog was wandering down the road dehydrated, riddled with parasites, and pregnant to boot. Whoever the former owner was, they must not be allowed to reclaim their dog for further neglect.

Good then that their "proof of ownership" is questionable at best. Take your FB post down, tell them you don't believe they are the real owner, and break off contact with them.

You could try checking your local laws, there could be something that allows for the "seizure" of neglected animal. The scars, massive parasites, and the fact she was allow loose (most likely became pregnant while allowed to roam freely) could be sufficient neglect that any such law would allow you to take ownership even if she does turn out to have been this woman's.

too many people on facebook that try this stuff. i wouldn't feel comfortable releasing the dog back into the care of the owner even if it were true with that kind of neglect on that poor girl. id ask the person if they would be willing to answer questions as to why the dog has been mistreated that way before handing her back over if you decide to.

Back