Excited to be adopting soon!

vin5783

Tourist
Super excited to be adopting soon. It's been some time since I've had a doggie companion. After a lot of research, I've been looking pretty seriously at golden doodles. Anyone here have any experience with them? Any advice? My first goal is companionship and a good hiking buddy, but if it could be something to evolve naturally to some more fun, that would also be amazing. Thanks in advance!

Super excited to be adopting soon. It's been some time since I've had a doggie companion. After a lot of research, I've been looking pretty seriously at golden doodles. Anyone here have any experience with them? Any advice? My first goal is companionship and a good hiking buddy, but if it could be something to evolve naturally to some more fun, that would also be amazing. Thanks in advance!
Doodles are not a breed. Everything they say about them like they’re easy and low maintenance are complete lies made up by people who want to make thousands and just ruin the dogs because they push them out like hot cakes. every reason people say they want a doodle for they could get an amazing standard poodle from a reputable breeder.

As someone who's had a Doodle, be warned that their coats very from which type of Doodle and more often than not they mat like crazy, not a low maintenance coat at all, unless you shave 'em short.
Their coats tend not to set off allergies similar to a Poodle, but they'll likely shed like a Lab.

As for energy or "bounce factor", it a hybrid of Poodle and Labrador, so yes they tend to have a lot, they need a lot of exercise.

In saying that, Labradoodle haters can suck it, I love them, they're awesome, I would get another.
Just make sure if you get one, you get one from a decent breeder and not a puppy mill or "dog designer".
Or look into a shelter, lots of shelter pups looking for a home.

Don't know about Doodles but congrats on getting a new doggie buddy.

Any reason for not going with either a golden or a poodle? I've nothing against a mix, but both are typically good dogs in their own right and I'm not sure what the intended goal is of crossing them. I still remember one time hearing someone state that labradoodles were supposed to get the poodle's coat and the lab's intelligence... I like both labs and poodles, but one doesn't make a poodle *smarter* by crossing with a lab.

Thank you all for the replies.

Not gunna be able to unsee the bucket of fried chicken from now on 😂

I did end up reading a bit more on other doodles and found a great ethical breeder of labradoodles. After speaking with her she has one and he seems like a great fit (he's a bit older and just hasn't found his forever home yet), so I plan to go visit her and the pupper soon to see how everything works out.

When it came to looking at the traits that would fit best for my future companion, the cross over constantly landed on doodles, which is why I started looking towards them. Not against looking at a pure poodle or lab, tho.

Also have a great groomer lined up that is a good friend of mine. She's giving me great advice and can help manage things on that end, as well. I've had puppers in the past with hair vs fur so I'm aware it can be quite the process, for sure. But I'm used to it. So if the new pup comes with more of a high maintenance coat that'll be ok.

Thanks again for everyone's reply!

You say the same about pugs?
View attachment 334787
My folks got English bulldogs. I don't agree with the genetic structuring. I prefer doberman myself (or yes wolves). But I don't dislike them for being their personalities just the breed itself that causes difficulties with natural health problems.

If I could correct abnormalities I would. All we can do is minimize breeding as well as give the existing ones a good life.

please people do not fry your dog's 😲
Like in feeding your dog only on fries?

Silly thought:
The result of mixing two or more breeds is usually called "a mutt"

But techinucally all "purebreed" come from mixing breeds to get the intended traits for a new one.

So I guess technically the difference between a mutt and a breed is only if that mutt has been "described and standirezed" (like in hey, we already have a few of them and does not self destruct in a short time) 🤔

Like in feeding your dog only on fries?

Silly thought:
The result of mixing two or more breeds is usually called "a mutt"

But techinucally all "purebreed" come from mixing breeds to get the intended traits for a new one.

So I guess technically the difference between a mutt and a breed is only if that mutt has been "described and standirezed" (like in hey, we already have a few of them and does not self destruct in a short time) 🤔
Very good points there. I read that it helps reduce some of the possible health issues, as well. Ultimately, as long as the dog is healthy and we're s good match for each other is all that matters to me.

Very good points there. I read that it helps reduce some of the possible health issues, as well. Ultimately, as long as the dog is healthy and we're s good match for each other is all that matters to me.
Yes, purebreeds have traditionally been heavily inbreeded and have many heath issues. When you mix thrm with something else, the result tends to be healthier.

Issue with "odd mixes" is more about people creating them only because they are cute, fashionable and scarce enough to be sold at an absurdly high price, more than the original breeds they use.

Other than that, if it is healthy and loved, good enough for both 😁

I would just say whatever you go with, and to anyone else in general, make sure what you pick is of an appropriate size for what you'd hope to do. Don't shop unless its completely unavoidable... Please don't pick a breed that sacrifices health for looks, like others mentioned pugs come to mind... Poor creatures. Try to match your activity level, or understand that it will change. Don't wait for training; better to do it yourself if you can. Enjoy each other and try not to get upset if things don't go as you had hoped.
Completely agree when it comes to looks over health. I've known some to have dogs like pigs and Frenchies. They've been great dogs but I feel for them. They were never meant to be like that. Poor things.

I did also take size into consideration, for both living arrangements as well as possible connections down the road. Also, activity levels that would match well with mine, esp outdoors. Big thing for me is having a great hiking buddy. If the bind becomes more, awesome. If not, that's ok too.

Yes, purebreeds have traditionally been heavily inbreeded and have many heath issues. When you mix thrm with something else, the result tends to be healthier.

Issue with "odd mixes" is more about people creating them only because they are cute, fashionable and scarce enough to be sold at an absurdly high price, more than the original breeds they use.

Other than that, if it is healthy and loved, good enough for both 😁
Also super good point. While researching I saw read how there are those who just make designer dogs to make them cute and that's it. I don't know how someone could do that to a living thing, just see it as profit.

Back