Dog head Temperatures

Reconscope

Supreme Citizen of ZV
When a dog is going through a prey drive moment or simply feeling any kind of mood swing. Does the temperature in their head change (in certain areas)? When i had my pitbull i was curious on this.

I mean i looked this up over/over again but only found "illness related" not psychological/biomedical stuff. Its worth asking here so check what you think.

Mood can effect temps in the body...I don't have any physical evidence of this aside from a stress/flustered aspect but the same concepts can be applied with people as well. For instance if we are flustered or upset our cheese will heat...turn red....we may displayed a higher temp if we are stressed as it has an effect on the whole body.

Same happens with animals which is why sometimes if we see slightly elevated temps while they are getting a clinical check we won't immediately jump to disease or sickness.

Now the temp changes won't be incredibly significant.....but the faster the heart races the more of an effect on temp it can have. Another reason why there is a range of acceptable temperatures when checked as supposed to one definite answer. A lot of variables.

Mood can effect temps in the body...I don't have any physical evidence of this aside from a stress/flustered aspect but the same concepts can be applied with people as well. For instance if we are flustered or upset our cheese will heat...turn red....we may displayed a higher temp if we are stressed as it has an effect on the whole body.

Same happens with animals which is why sometimes if we see slightly elevated temps while they are getting a clinical check we won't immediately jump to disease or sickness.

Now the temp changes won't be incredibly significant.....but the faster the heart races the more of an effect on temp it can have. Another reason why there is a range of acceptable temperatures when checked as supposed to one definite answer. A lot of variables.
Why isnt there research on this subject i tried finding results on it but NOPE.

When a dog is going through a prey drive moment or simply feeling any kind of mood swing. Does the temperature in their head change (in certain areas)? When i had my pitbull i was curious on this.

It takes more than two seconds to adjust the thermal capacity of given mass like the head through increased blood flow, brain activity or muscle activity (less on the head).

Means: While the dog follows its prey-drive the heart rate adjusts, blood flow and oxygen intake as well, raising the body temperature overall because muscles only generate around 1/4 to 1/2,8 in mechanical movement energy and the remaining is heat (= losses).

But as the head is as well the first thing to run through a wall of air in a not optimal aerodynamic shape, it gets cooled quite quickly by the surrounding air temperature, if lower.

TL;DR: The effect takes longer than a dog needs to decide in regards of hunting or staying.

Why isnt there research on this subject i tried finding results on it but NOPE.

You don't have to search for "temperature", but for "muscle usage / muscle energy" of an animal. And the corresponding body areas. Then you can mathematically calculate based on its ability to pant / sweat / surrounding temperature / efficiency of food processing, running mode, speed, surface to run on and around 12 more factors how hot the animal would get through physical activity while being cooled down by air transmittance over the body.

It takes more than two seconds to adjust the thermal capacity of given mass like the head through increased blood flow, brain activity or muscle activity (less on the head).

Means: While the dog follows its prey-drive the heart rate adjusts, blood flow and oxygen intake as well, raising the body temperature overall because muscles only generate around 1/4 to 1/2,8 in mechanical movement energy and the remaining is heat (= losses).

But as the head is as well the first thing to run through a wall of air in a not optimal aerodynamic shape, it gets cooled quite quickly by the surrounding air temperature, if lower.

TL;DR: The effect takes longer than a dog needs to decide in regards of hunting or staying.
Your saying the decision the dog is made up when they are completely still just trying to process the movement to the best route? (Prey drive speaking)

But what about mood does that effect different spots in brain areas?

Mood effects usage of the brain as well as the blood vessel and nerve system and organ activity. 🤷‍♂️
Surely it results in different thermal zone temperatures.

Should be mentioned in drug studies. Look up for adrenaline / epinephrine effects on the body and organs.

If your dog was aroused, didn't she start to pant? Dogs only have two ways to lower their body temperature by panting / sweating: the paw pads and the panting which both use the cooling effect of vaporizing water (sweat, saliva) to cool down the tissue and as such work as a blood cooling installation.

Wouldn't you say that an aroused dog is an emotional effect, even if standing still?

Mood effects usage of the brain as well as the blood vessel and nerve system and organ activity. 🤷‍♂️
Surely it results in different thermal zone temperatures.

Should be mentioned in drug studies. Look up for adrenaline / epinephrine effects on the body and organs.

If your dog was aroused, didn't she start to pant? Dogs only have two ways to lower their body temperature by panting / sweating: the paw pads and the panting which both use the cooling effect of vaporizing water (sweat, saliva) to cool down the tissue and as such work as a blood cooling installation.

Wouldn't you say that an aroused dog is an emotional effect, even if standing still?
Oddly enough sex on k9s never explains why dogs pant during/after sex even though after X min of mating which is the tie involves standing in one spot.

Arousing raises blood flow to specific organs and parts of the body (as a male you should know that :husky_wink:).

It also releases hormonal and chemical substances which (often, not always - as example not or almost not in forced copulation without much arousing) raise the body temperature, increase the heartbeat, air intake and quite a few organ activities outside the sexual reproductive organs. 🤷‍♂️

It's like you throw new wood in a small oven only burning very low: energy dissipation raises, air intake and exhaust increase. An animal, a human is a biochemical machine and as such based on the same laws regarding thermodynamics as every other machine. No perpetuum mobile (no >100% of intake as output), no energy usage without losses = heat. Higher energy usage = higher losses if your "machine" doesn't run more efficiently to compensate for it.

Sexual activities are as well including a high brain activity (often..) and the brain goes for around one third of your total standby energy consumption. What's nearer to your brain than your mouth in regards of thermal dissipation?

Yep, body temp can raise in response to stress for example, not sure why it happens though I guess because the blood is faster

Potentially. Our temperatures don't technically rise when we shift moods, the warmth you feel is the rush of blood already warmed by the body heading to areas it is being called too.
Your temp does raise a little bit depending on what and where but mostly it is just an externaly temp change like being next to a heater or a temporary flush.

Back