Do male dogs calm down when having regular sex?

Your dog would be calm with you while clothed but when he sees you naked he is gonna want to play. Mine was like that, he always calmed down after knotting me until he was done. There were times when I was busy and he would actually come to me wanting sex and I would ignore him. My husband would get upset with me for ignoring my pit, and would remind me it was my responsibility to take care of his needs since I was his bottom. My husband is not really a zoo, but very zoo supportive. He will play and partake but I am more the zoo in our family.
your husband sounds like such a dream partner

Depends what you mean. Short term, after a successful mounting (to completion), he will be on alert for another few minutes afterwards (until his erection fully subsides). Then definitely calmer than normal. Happier. Sleepier. A lot like human males really. ;)
Long term, does regular sex make a male dog calmer than a dog who never gets any? I would say probably not.
Long term calmness, would have FAR more to do with whether his life in general - is he safe, well cared for, well fed, have companionship, praised, appreciated and loved. Sex is just a nice bonus on that list of things creating a happy life. Again.. a lot like human males.

A lot of the misbehavior in dogs comes from a lack of training.

Granted every dog is different...every dog will have various levels of testosterone and the higher the levels the more likely they are to act on dominance and the urge to spend some of the hormones.

My boy is in tact and he has never tried to jump the fence or leave due to a female being in heat. Most of what happens is at the dog park if someone brings a bitch in heat he will follow them around constantly and be a little more stubborn when trying to refocus his attention.

I've found if you give the dog their time they appreciate it and tend not to take a mile from the given inch. I let him sniff and flirt and play and then when we leave I tend to take care of him if he needs when we get home.

Ever since he was a puppy I've focused on training and teaching him that I'm always the center to refocus to; being consistent and stern and really enforcing positive enrichment when things are going well.

It's worked and he is my first dog...and a big dog at that. 107lb kangal great Pyrenees. He is 3 now.

I’ve found that about 70% of the intact dogs that I’ve been with through completion have calmed down immediately afterwards. I’ve also found that of the neutered dogs that I’ve been with through completion only about 65% of them calm down afterwards. I have been with more intact dogs than I have neutered but I’ve had the opportunity to be with almost double the amount neutered dogs than intact dogs. So in my experience intact dogs definitely want it more often than neutered dogs, but the neutered dogs that do want it generally have a higher libido. Scientifically speaking there is something (I don’t remember what it is, a hormone, chemical, or something) in a dog that releases when they get off that makes them sleepy and the amount of this thing that is released varies in each individual dog in most dogs it is enough to calm them down immediately afterwards. I do wonder if this thing is more prevalent in intact dogs seeing as how they tend to calm down quicker and more often than most neutered dogs after the act in my experience.
I find this very interesting and true. My shepherd wasn't very active before he was neutered. He thought sex was meh and hand jobs were nice but after he turned 2 I made the dumb mistake of neutering him and ever since then 6 years later he LOVES hand jobs and can go for a VERY long time and gets frustrated if I stop too soon

I find this very interesting and true. My shepherd wasn't very active before he was neutered. He thought sex was meh and hand jobs were nice but after he turned 2 I made the dumb mistake of neutering him and ever since then 6 years later he LOVES hand jobs and can go for a VERY long time and gets frustrated if I stop too soon
Shepherds aren’t fully mature until about 2 so that could have also played a part in why he wasn’t as interested.

Dogs, like people, are individuals; what one does is not what all will do. Some dogs will get to a point of lethargy post sex, some never will. You have no way of predicting it. Learn by observation. Even a neutered dog can be very antsy.
Dogs are unique just like humans 😀 you can never tell with someone people

Based on my experience - Yes! My K9 become calmer when we started mating regularly. Usually we did it two or sometimes three times per week, except weeks I had period. But I noticed fun fact! During my menstruation cycle (usually 5 or 6 days) Wolfie was more than interested about humping on me and mating attempts, he tried to sniff a lot as well even when I had bad mood and felt uncomfy. He also knew basic rule: mating only in my bedroom, when I approached naked. That was a sign for him I'm ready for action.
I never had problems with Wolfie when he felt smell of bitch in heat nearby. If that happened, I was ready to "cure" him asap haha 🥰

Based on my experience - Yes! My K9 become calmer when we started mating regularly. Usually we did it two or sometimes three times per week, except weeks I had period. But I noticed fun fact! During my menstruation cycle (usually 5 or 6 days) Wolfie was more than interested about humping on me and mating attempts, he tried to sniff a lot as well even when I had bad mood and felt uncomfy. He also knew basic rule: mating only in my bedroom, when I approached naked. That was a sign for him I'm ready for action.
I never had problems with Wolfie when he felt smell of bitch in heat nearby. If that happened, I was ready to "cure" him asap haha 🥰
Have you ever experience phantom pregnancy? from regular mating with wolfie.

Nope, never experienced this. But I heard it may happen sometimes and may be triggered by various factors 🫢

Well.. biology is not my speciality but chemistry. As I know - stress or depressive disorders may change level of reproductive hormones. That hormones are responsible for pregnancy or pregnancy related symptoms. Also abdominal or pelvic tumors may trigger phantom pregnancy.

Well.. biology is not my speciality but chemistry. As I know - stress or depressive disorders may change level of reproductive hormones. That hormones are responsible for pregnancy or pregnancy related symptoms. Also abdominal or pelvic tumors may trigger phantom pregnancy.
Thanks Meg. Just curious have you ever craved wolfie getting you pregnant when you are ovulating?:)

Very understimulated dogs can react sexually even if they get all the sex they want. I am afraid that it still comes as a surprise to many "zoos" that dogs need other kind of stimulation than sex, and I also think that some here only keep a dog as a sex toy.
With a natural well stimulated dog, the knowledge that sexual satisfaction is available in given situations, will make them more relaxed than another well stimulated dog that lives in long term a sexual celibacy. Some dogs seem to manage celibacy better than others thoug.

Last edited:
Both of mine are intact and both are pretty chill for the most part. They both go running with me regularly and they have both been professionally obedience trained.
The training may set them apart from most dogs. Not 100% sure, just saying it is a possibility.

lol you've trained a monster ;)

I think exercise in the fresh air helps calm the dog down in the late afternoon. But if this does not help, then you can use another method, if you know what I mean;3 ;)
Speaking as a male, I'd enjoy both. Buuuuuuut the second option is ALWAYS the best option ;)

Back