Do dog heats tend to sync up?

SultryHellhound

Citizen of Zooville
My parents' small breed mix dog just entered into a heat today. My girl finished her first heat either in late July or early August. Will the small breed mix going into heat trigger my dog into entering her second heat, or is that not a thing that happens?

Well... I have 4 females all different ages that all started their heats last week. 2 of them are 10month old puppies hitting their first heat.
So syncing can be a thing. But I don't think it will so soon after a previous heat.

Well. Happens naturally in cattlevand has been seen happening in human females spending most of the time together also, so it can easily be the case in dogs too, even if I've never seen it in an study.

What is surely the case, is they have a natural breeding season and will tend to enter heat at that time.

Vet here, chiming in. I’ve had a couple cases where this has happened (sometimes even after a couple of years) and a couple where it hasn’t. Each dog is a unique individual with biological quirks, so it’s hard to give a sweeping generalization for you. I have a couple salty old hunting dog breeders that swear it syncs up for every single one of their kenneled dogs, but I find that hard to believe.

That being said: there was a cool paper a while back that found that human and dog Cortisol levels (stress, excitement) and oxytocin (affection, social bonding) most certainly sync up.

My neighbor's dogs always come into heat between late february - early march and late july - early august. So in that case yes, but other dogs may not.
(I know this because during that time there are always male dogs from other parts trying to breed with them).

Synchronous heat may occur, or it may occur separately. It may happen that one of the dogs comes back into heat earlier (4 months) because the others start.
I've had examples of all of them at my place.

Back