Corpus Christi TX City council cracking down on spaying and neutering of roaming animals

City Council is proposing an intact animal permit which will cost $100 a year.

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The city of Corpus Christi is attempting to address too many strays on the streets.

City council will be proposing a mandatory spay and neuter order on animals unless owners have an intact animal permit.

Cheryl Martinez, president of People Assisting Animal Control also known as PAAC, told 3NEWS that this proposal that will be discussed this week, and can save thousands of animals if approved.

"Spaying and neutering is the answer, we can adopt, we can transport, we can do everything, but rescues are overwhelmed right now." Martinez said.

The intact animal permit will cost $100 a year. An intact animal is one that is unaltered or unsterilized.

"If you are a responsible breeder, and you have two sets of puppies a year and you have two litters of kittens, if you're responsible, you're going to give them their shots. So, that's going to cost more than a $100 right there," Martinez explained.

According to the city's proposal, unless a person has an intact pet permit, a person commits an offense if they own, or keep a dog or cat that's over six months of age that is intact.

Martinez said, "If we don't get a handle on this, we already have a huge issue so let's start to make some changes and be proactive so that we can start to see some changes in our community."

Martinez told 3NEWS that some breeders are selling animals without concern of the animals' healthcare. She said, "You have also puppies being sold in stores or kittens. Unfortunately, they don't have the healthcare that they need. Where you can go into any rescue or shelter and adopt an animal where they're fully vetted and have gotten care."

Martinez doesn't feel this proposal will discourage those wanting to rescue animals. She added, "For anybody that rescues a pet, that's normally one of the first things they do is spay and neuter them. So, I don't feel that's going to be an issue. It's not going to stop people from rescuing. What it's going to hopefully do, is help some of these rescues overwhelmed trying to look for fosters."

City council will be meeting this week to discuss the animal permit proposal.

So 100 a year as opposed to...1000 or more for a spay PER DOG. And for males with internal testicles it's roughly the same price. Can people really be that dumb?

Having less stray animals out and about with no food or water, getting into trouble with traffic an such yeah, ok I agree with that but not charging people for having an intact animal. That's stupid, they just want the revenue.

Stupid thing is how are they gonna enforce that?

If your animal is registered with the city you will have to pay, if your vet pushes for registration you will have to pay ect ect.

Dang where I live spay and neuter are both $100

Wouldn't that be nice but I don't see how that's even possible. I work in a vet clinic, not even a big business-style hospital, and when you factor in the patient monitoring, the Elizabeth collar, the pre-meds and other injections, the hazardous waste fees, the hospitalization cost, the size of the dog and how "risky" the spay is in the first place, among other factors, it easily borders on a thousand dollars. And we're not even as pricy as some other places.

If you rescue from a shelter then I can see if they just do a fee of 100 for spaying but I don't see how any hospital could ever survive on that cheap a procedure given the costs of everything involved.

I get the concept, but i dont think its going to do anything more than just generate more revenue for the state

Create an adoption certificate for your animal based on a no-longer existing pet rescue organization (dead phone number, dead mail contact or made up) from a further away region.

Do this professionally and print it on high quality matte paper, then (directly) laminate it. Add some usually present logos of the country or state if necessary.

Let it state microsurgical alternatives instead of spaying / gonadectomy. Like vasectomy, tubal ligation, ovariectomy. Reason: the animal was given to the organization and had already undergone this procedure.

Keep this one at home, take a high quality photograph with your smartphone and carry this one with you. If you ever get stopped and asked about your permit, show the photograph.

Seriously tho, $100,00 a year are technically fine. In this country it's 40,00 to 1200,00 € per dog, depending on breed, per year. Second and third dog often more expensive. For each dog individually. There are only a few cities in this country which don't request dog tax. But if those $100,00 of TX cities don't flow into improvements for the life of animals, then it's quite useless taxation.

Yes, Germany.

No, they don't care about fixed / unfixed. But about the dogs breeds.
Usually the price for first dogs is around 40,00 to 150,00 € annualy. Second dogs from same price up to almost the double price. Third as well. And so on.

But there is a "Kampfhundeverordnung", basically "Fightdogregulatories".

This means that .. "unwanted" dog breeds, even if proven not more aggressive or dangerous in the right hands than any other breed (which can be handled totally wrongly and behave aggressively as well - after all they are still dogs!), mostly the muscular breeds which were used in dog fights as example (but also - depending on city - some other breeds like Dobermans, some hunting dog breeds which nowadays are labeled "aggressive")..

..will get either forbidden or taxed by the same amounts (per dog) up to abstruse amounts of 1200,00 €+ per year.

This is to reduce the amount of those. Basically extinction by horrendous taxes. Or direct forbidding.

Like said, there are only very few cities (2? 5? Can't remember) which don't tax the ownership of dogs. Some tax very low, like 20,00 € annually, but it's rare.

Some cities tax zero for socially dependable (on help, on funding) owners or reduce the taxes for those.

One exception is made by - as far as I know - all cities: Service dogs which have successfully certified, a quite pricey and time intense task, are freed from those taxes.

There's as well (surely enough) the need to register them, to have an insurance (related to the state you're keeping them in), you have to either tattoo / number or chip them and so on and so on.
It's not as easy related to other countries like the USA in many states from what I know, where people can keep 10 dogs and don't pay any extensive fees or taxes. But I might be wrong.

That's crazy. As far as I know, you can have as many dogs as you like here, as long as they have an adequate shelter space to live in. (Well, you need a permit for more than 8 cats or 5 dogs in 1 house, which does cost money) You can't run an animal shelter out of your house of course. But there's no obligation to do anything here except get them a rabies vaccination, and keep them under control/leashed in public.

I just looked it up and I'm wrong. We essentially already have this law in effect right now. Pets must be licensed annually, $5 for fixed, $50 for unfixed animals. I have not relicensed my girl (didn't know it was a thing) and nobody has come after me for the $5 so I'm guessing it's only enforced when something bad has happened. I have seen many police, and the occasional animal control workers on my walks with her and it's never been an issue. Apparently she must wear her license on her collar; but I don't see others doing that and again it's never been an issue.
Realistically they got better things to do than stop you and make a stink about not having a dog license. Honestly nobody cares.

Wouldn't that be nice but I don't see how that's even possible. I work in a vet clinic, not even a big business-style hospital, and when you factor in the patient monitoring, the Elizabeth collar, the pre-meds and other injections, the hazardous waste fees, the hospitalization cost, the size of the dog and how "risky" the spay is in the first place, among other factors, it easily borders on a thousand dollars. And we're not even as pricy as some other places.

If you rescue from a shelter then I can see if they just do a fee of 100 for spaying but I don't see how any hospital could ever survive on that cheap a procedure given the costs of everything involved.
My vet is about $150 for spay, neuter, and even uterectomy, at my request. It's the most expensive I've ever seen.

This is complete bullshit. Imagine paying an extortion fee for your own dogs genitals. If I lived there I'd be raising hell. The worst part is that by paying the tax you're funding their next power grabbing project. Is anyone trying to put a stop to this or is this one of those things normies don't care enough about to even pay it any attention?

Yes, it gets subsidized or partly / wholly paid for by city animal control or comparable in many countries.
The "real" costs are still higher, that's for sure.

As those countries (or individual cities) don't want the stray "problem" to grow into a real mess, they see this way of subsidizing as the more cost-efficient and animal friendly solution (and I have to say: it probably is, compared to nearly two sets of puppies a year from which a good 1/2 to 3/4 don't survive the first 20 weeks from my experience in eastern EU countries).

Back