Concern about boar tusks 🐗

LinktheKid

Tourist
How concerned should I be about this?
He isn't going to be neutered but I'm not sure what approach I should take.
Do I submit myself to him? Get him a toy?
There will be other animals too when I plan to have him.

Attachments

• received_967513940462672.jpeg
    received_967513940462672.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 38
How concerned should I be about this?
He isn't going to be neutered but I'm not sure what approach I should take.
Do I submit myself to him? Get him a toy?
There will be other animals too when I plan to have him.
EXTREMELY concerned. A boar that has tusks that gets a wild hair up his ass is capable of reducing even the most bad-ass human ever invented to a quivering pile of (quite literally) shredded meat in a few seconds. And a few seconds after that, he's likely to decide that constitutes prime eating. And worse, they can and do do it with absolutely no warning of any kind. By the time you know something has gone wrong, you're probably already well on your way to dead.

EXTREMELY concerned. A boar that has tusks that gets a wild hair up his ass is capable of reducing even the most bad-ass human ever invented to a quivering pile of (quite literally) shredded meat in a few seconds. And a few seconds after that, he's likely to decide that constitutes prime eating. And worse, they can and do do it with absolutely no warning of any kind. By the time you know something has gone wrong, you're probably already well on your way to dead.
Would the best option be to get him neutered? Or is there a different things I can do?
Most likely if I buy him from the breeder that I want to he will already be neutered... I think.

Lemme put it to you this way: I've raised hogs in the past. I absolutely *WILL NOT* get into a pen with a boar *EVER* again. Not after seeing how one of ours mutilated a pen-mate in a matter of seconds. If it had been me (or anyone else I've ever known) it would have been the last thing I (or whoever it was) ever did.

It's said (only half-jokingly by those who know them) that one of the "downsides" of hogs is that they're *JUST* smart enough to realize why we keep 'em around - and resent it. Long and short of it, you try messing around with a boar hog without *ABSOLUTELY KNOWING* what you're doing, and chances are high that you're going to be found as pig-shit several days after somebody notices you haven't been showing up for work, school, etc. A sow can fuck your day up just as bad, but she's not as likely to be inclined to do so. (though I VERY strongly recommend you *NEVER* get between a sow and her piglets - or even worse, cause one of those piglets to holler the oinker-equivalent of "MOMMY! SCARY HUMAN IS DOING SOMETHING THAT I DON'T LIKE!") - unless, of course, you think that having her hit you like a few hundred pounds of pissed off, high-speed, extremely mobile, teeth-equipped bricks is a "good thing".

What if you trim the tusks?

What if you trim the tusks?
Hate to sound like a prick about it, but if you need to ask that question, you're better off not having anything to do with them. They CAN be ground down/cut back. They can even be removed, the same way you or I would have a bad tooth pulled - after all, they're "just" teeth. That WILL NOT stop them from turning you into so much "humanburger" if they take a notion to do so.

Micro-pigs (the kind that get to be not much more than 60-80 pounds) can make nifty pets. The "real deal" is a package of muscle, teeth, and trotters that will cheerfully call you "dinner" given the right (or from your perspective, "wrong") set of circumstances. Some breeds are better/worse than others, but ALL have the potential to kill you in seconds, and a huge percentage of them will outweigh you by two, three, four, even more times, are FULLY capable of outrunning you, and have no compunctions about eating you when they catch up. An unarmed human has very little chance of survival if a 200-300 pound hog decides that it doesn't like the human existing. Even an armed human is in some seriously deep shit if he hesitates or misses.

There's a reason why I no longer hunt wild hogs with a muzzle loader, last time I did I was using a .72 double rifle and missed my first shot and the second misfired, the boar was already looking my way after the first shot and charged me by the second, 6 .44 200 gr slugs from a Colt Walker later he was down less than 20 feet from me, 130 feet closer than when I fired the first shot.

There's a reason why I no longer hunt wild hogs with a muzzle loader, last time I did I was using a .72 double rifle and missed my first shot and the second misfired, the boar was already looking my way after the first shot and charged me by the second, 6 .44 200 gr slugs from a Colt Walker later he was down less than 20 feet from me, 130 feet closer than when I fired the first shot.
20 feet is just a TAD too close for my liking when it comes to angry/aggressive oinkers. Good thing you finally stopped 'im. Me, I'm just not that "adventurous" anymore. Back in the day, likely, and enjoyed the hell out of it. But not by choice these days. Wildest thing I've spotted in the last few years has been the 4-5 foot long bobcat/lynx (Yeah, it was blinkin' HUGE - not QUITE as big as one of the donkeys, but damned close) that came waltzing by my door while I was standing there smoking a butt as dawn started breaking for real. Might've been all of 15 feet away when we noticed each other. It froze for a moment, then one of the donkeys started "huffing" at it, and came across the pen in that funny little stiff-legged trot I always see donkeys doing when they're "on the jazz". Cat stood there a moment longer, looking from me to the donk and back as the others noticed something going on and started coming out of their shelter, then it crossed the space to the 4'6" high post in the bottom corner of the pen, popped up onto it like you or I would step up a standard issue stair riser, looked around at the donkeys heading toward it, dropped off the other side, cleared the neighbor's 5 foot fence like it wasn't there, and vanished into the bottomland of his (the neighbor's, or the cat's? You be the judge.) property.

Thanks for your answer, I will highly consider looking into a mini/micro pig that has a more friendly temperament.

Will there hyper aggressiveness continue even after they are neutered? Just curious, not serious about getting them neutered

Lemme put it to you this way: I've raised hogs in the past. I absolutely *WILL NOT* get into a pen with a boar *EVER* again. Not after seeing how one of ours mutilated a pen-mate in a matter of seconds. If it had been me (or anyone else I've ever known) it would have been the last thing I (or whoever it was) ever did.
I am afraid to hear the answer, but also wanting to know: Did he make it?

I am afraid to hear the answer, but also wanting to know: Did he make it?
He made it to butchering time, but was slashed up pretty ugly. Between his hide and the layers of fat, he was sort of built to take it. But like I said, it would all but certainly have killed a person.

Pigs have the same reaction as bears when it comes to anything resembling "Food". If it runs, its food. A full grown Boar, even a miniature, is a touchy critter at best. And the so-called micro mini pigs are mostly runts at birth. The real size at adulthood is highly unpredictable. Add in that they have the same disease problems as humans, and the same bad eating habits, I'd let them strictly alone.

He made it to butchering time, but was slashed up pretty ugly. Between his hide and the layers of fat, he was sort of built to take it. But like I said, it would all but certainly have killed a person.
Oooooh, I get it. I read "a mate", as in a mate of yours. A human. But it was a PEN-mate, meaning another hog. Which of course is also pretty ugly. But I did think for a moment that the hog nearly killed one of your human buddies.

Back