Apartment fixed pet rules

D

Dolphinlover101

Can an apartment require you to get your pet fixed if you use said pet as a service/emotional-support animal

They "can", some do, some don't, it's totally up the the private business what they put in their lease, but any good one will allow for individual exceptions. My apartment has a weight limit for 50 lbs, but they allowed my 90 lb dog due to his senior age and his known friendly breed.

I can't see where a landlord can get away with telling you what to do with your property. Maybe, if it a city ordinance that is required in order to prevent strays due to overpopulation. There are a lot of strays that get put to sleep in my town because of unfixed pets that get loose. It is sad how many thousands of puppies and kittens that get put down. Still, if the animal is purebred and you are a certified breeder then you should be able to get around that.

The quick answer is probably yes. Landlords get away with a lot of overextension of their power into other people's personal freedoms.

The apartment building is private property. As such, there aren't many things the landlord cannot do, and they have even more such freedom regarding pets, including spaying/neutering, leashes and noise.
Just make SURE you read everything covering pets in the lease before signing! It's amazing how many people do not. If he says something verbally, make SURE it's in the lease! Otherwise, he can come back and change anything which came out of his mouth, and argue until his last breath about what he did or didn't say.

Also, if a pet rule applied at the time of signing, don't you let that landlord change the rule until your lease expires.
It might be good, at time of signing, to ask if a pet rule is likely to change when the lease renews, but even that isn't legally binding on his part.

isn't it technically not your property when rented from a landlord? i have honestly no idea, i just got my own house to not have to care about any additional hassle in owning dogs.
I think by "Property", Alpha Cat was referring to the dog, not the land. As in, the landlord could not tell you what to do with the dog that you own.

To answer the original poster, the landlord can do basically everything that your signature tells them they can do. They can even get you to sign away your Constitutional rights (assuming you live in the USA) if you say so (informedly or not).

Back