Any Alaska husky owners/fans here?

zoofreak1

Zooville Settler
I see a lot pics, videos and mentions on pure breed Siberian huskies, but not not so much of Alaskan. And in my opinion, they are more beautiful and overall I like them more.
The pure breed Siberians are destroyed by kennel clubs and show communities and the working sled dog properties they once had are almost gone.
While Alaskans are solely bred as a working type dog, focusing on health and abilities.
I myself once had a Alaska husky bitch. Alaskan_Husky1.jpgstandard_compressed_Alaska_husky.jpg

I see a lot pics, videos and mentions on pure breed Siberian huskies, but not not so much of Alaskan. And in my opinion, they are more beautiful and overall I like them more.
The pure breed Siberians are destroyed by kennel clubs and show communities and the working sled dog properties they once had are almost gone.
While Alaskans are solely bred as a working type dog, focusing on health and abilities.
I myself once had a Alaska husky bitch. View attachment 331514View attachment 331515
I had no idea an Alaskan Husky was a thing! What was her temperament like?

I had no idea an Alaskan Husky was a thing! What was her temperament like?

She was a tough (son of a) bitch 😅 very smart, not afraid of anything, very playful til the end of her days and an incredible sled dog. She could run for miles and always wanted to "keep moving forward, keep moving forward"

In my experience, the Alaskans are much tougher and maybe a bit smarter than siberians. But they can also become much more problematic dogs, under wrong leadership.
Siberians are softer in their temperament and easier to handle

Big difference between show dogs and dogs with game. I see both sides of the argument though. Too little change leads to useless dogs and Heath issues. But too much leads to a breed that is unreasonable.

Big difference between show dogs and dogs with game. I see both sides of the argument though. Too little change leads to useless dogs and Heath issues. But too much leads to a breed that is unreasonable.

Except Alaska husky is not a pure breed of dogs, and that's the beauty of it. They are just dogs specifically bred for working purposes. They are often a mix of Siberians, malamutes, salukis, setters...
Yet they have become a type of dog that can be recognized. An Alaska husky is an Alaska husky, not a bastard

Except Alaska husky is not a pure breed of dogs, and that's the beauty of it. They are just dogs specifically bred for working purposes. They are often a mix of Siberians, malamutes, salukis, setters...
Yet they have become a type of dog that can be recognized. An Alaska husky is an Alaska husky, not a bastard
Possibly. Not sure if that could ever be listed under the AKC or not. Since a standard dose not exist. I’m not particularly happy with a lot of AKC standers. I don’t like American Rottweilers. But meh. That’s just me.

I do not like them. I'm a malamute fan, that says it all.
Maybe a large, brown-eyed siberian. Alaskan is a mix. 99.99% of zoophiles don't buy dogs to deliver diphtheria vaccines at night in frosty windstorms.

Show dogs have two big advantages. Their ability to work has decreased, it is easier for the average person to own it, and they can handle it better even in warm countries. The other is more beauty.

I do not like them. I'm a malamute fan, that says it all.
Maybe a large, brown-eyed siberian. Alaskan is a mix. 99.99% of zoophiles don't buy dogs to deliver diphtheria vaccines at night in frosty windstorms.

Show dogs have two big advantages. Their ability to work has decreased, it is easier for the average person to own it, and they can handle it better even in warm countries. The other is more beauty.

It just happens that I live in a country where most of the huskies are alaskans. And many people also have them as family dogs and pets. They are also 50-70% cheaper.
Siberians are very rare, but I have also met a few of them

It just happens that I live in a country where most of the huskies are alaskans. And many people also have them as family dogs and pets. They are also 50-70% cheaper.
Siberians are very rare, but I have also met a few of them
Malamutes are rare here. There are plenty of siberian huskies. 95% of people call my malamutes huskies. :husky_tired:

Handsome lady you had there. :)

"Mixed breed mutt" would be closer the mark. ;)
And a very successful one at that!

Mhmm; function rather than breed standards based on physical characteristics.

It should be no surprise that there's a wide range of genes overlaying the native stock - just need to take a look at postcards of sled dogs from the early 20th century - albeit Huslia dogs act as underpinning to a considerable degree.

Of course you're going to get a thumbs-up from here even if they're sadly somewhere rare here the UK.
(On the plus side we ended up with more chonky M'Loot genes for mals here vs. more Kotzebue lineage in the AKC show pool, which may as well be a different breed. *jk*)

Malamutes are rare here. There are plenty of siberian huskies. 95% of people call my malamutes huskies. :husky_tired:

(aside) Regardless of who's tried to redefine the word in recent years, malamutes *ARE* huskies by the original definition and there's no contradictory generally accepted definition of the word since.
A "husky" (dog) is a generic term for an eskimo dog. That's all it means, as it's the same word origin.

Which is why Siberian Huskies were called that, to distinguish them from local huskies including those kept by the Mahlemut; although primary sources describe dogs in that area rather different to those we'd consider "mals" nowadays, but let's gloss over such details in this thread... ;)

(Fwiw, too many people called mine a wolf and/or would cross the road to escape the "dangerous wild beast". :ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:
Siberian huskies were originally dogs imported from Siberia to Alaska by musher Leonhard Seppala in the 1920's. Chukotka sled dog of Siberia became the siberian husky.
Seppala's dogs later separated in two blood lines, the Seppala siberian sled dog who was bred for working purposes, and the Siberian husky leaning more to show dogs.
The last purebred Seppala siberian sled dog died in 2022 and the linage is now gone!

Back