Animals from the shelter

P

pupwhoshaggedme

I have a question....I am from the east coast originally and in Massachusetts it is required by law that if an animal gets adopted from the shelter they have to be fixed. I am not residing in Arizona and I always just assumed that nothing had changed in that regard.....so I've never asked questions about it. However I herd a few times now that you can tell them you don't want them fixed and they legally cannot fix the animal....is this lagitimate? Or is it law to have animals fixed before they leave a shelter.

Most places have it as law that they need to be neutered before they leave the shelter.

In some rare cases, you MAY instead be able to convince them to let you get the dog a vasectomy/tubes tied instead.

I have never seen a shelter where they let you go without some form of sterilization for the animal..

My husky was from a shelter and they just made you sign an agreement that you would have the dog "fixed" within so many months or you'd have to surrender the dog. That agreement was not only never enforced it was never even followed up on. Do your research, I'm sure your mileage will vary significantly depending on the shelter you use.

i was under the impression that in most of the us you have to put some sort of "yeah, i'll totally get that done" fee in the shelter which they either return to you after you do the procedure or keep if you don't follow through and that's that.

here in czech republic, in most shelters the dogs seem to get "fixed" before they are even put up for adoption. i'd say do what i did when i adopted the latest member to my little pack and look up owners looking to give up their dogs on the internet. i think craigslist is what you have for that in the us?

You know why they are fixing them ? in case u do not know Answer Of the 3 million cats and dogs euthanized in shelters each year, approximately 2.4 million (80%) are healthy and treatable and could have been adopted into new homes. Percentage of purebred dogs in shelters: 25% Number cats and dogs adopted from shelters each year: 4 million.

Back