Akita wants stray

Woah now my dudes, maybe I'm leaving too much out of the equation here but my girl isn't randomly killing things, she is a trained hunting dog that only hunts rabbits and foxes (non native invasive species where I live) and only attacks under command.
She is perfectly calm around children and other dogs but that does not mean she is ever off leash, she is a trained hunting dog and is treated as such.
My question is how to train her to differentiate between prey and otherwise.
With pig dogs that I have previously owned it has been simple (only I can safely approach them) but an akita (that I inherited) Is hugely different In almost every way.
Currently I have a lot of time at home and my progress after my original post has been that kira doesn't acknowledge the cat at all unless its near her food (an improvement on seeing a target)
As for the cat being here (now I admit this is childish) the dog and I were here first and my roommate introduced her cat later after a relationship error, my roommate was already aware that my dog is a hunter, and was aware that the cats life would be in danger.
SHE BROUGT THE CUNT ANYWAY! (Well her dad did)
Now you see I like animals (im a zoo) so i don't want to see a kitten chewed up on my carpet, but I didn't ask for this, I didn't approve this. I had this thrust upon me, me and my girl were happy hunting rabbits and foxes in our spare time to come home to fresh chicken I'd cut up for her, then to both have a nap on my couch.
But my dumb cunt roomie got a danm cat and went "she be right" and is now ignoring it (there are reasons behind this too, roomie has some harsh shit going on)
I just need too keep the cat alive for another month or 2 untill my roommate has the ability too leave, sadly she is using this cat to teach her to love again.
It's a crazy situation that shouldn't EVER happen but I'm working with what I got, how do I keep my hunting dog calm and my cat anything but violent while they have to live near each other?

I apologise for my miscommunication, my English skills are quite poor.
Reality check.....your dog hunts rabbits foxes, cats, ferrets, and rats....so far. Akitas are not really going to discern the difference between any of those, and possibly a small child either.
Even a shock collar isnt going to help because YOU arent fast enough. The dog was bred to assess and act without hesitation. If she hadn't been encouraged in the hunting behavior, you might have had a shot, but at this stage, its history. This is less the dog's problem and much more yours, but since you're the one with opposable thumbs, you make the decisions for both of you.... the only answer is: take the dog and go. If you don't you're courting disaster. Why you hunt isn't in question, but the dog is allowed to kill. That means if you love her and value her, you take her OUT of a situation that cannot end well. She's doing what she knows how to do, and you obviously praise the dog for it. If she hurts or kills someone, you'll lose her. Time to go...find a place she can do what she does without risk.

Last edited:
Back