3 months to a year

dartel

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
Saw a veterinary oncologist today. It's official, my boy's got cancer in his mouth. Don't know exactly what kind, and probably won't bother doing the biopsy to find out as the cost of treatment won't be doable regardless of what exactly it is. Will probably do some x-rays and cytology on his swollen lymph next week to at least see if it's spread and what kind of time frame we're looking at.

Saw a veterinary oncologist today. It's official, my boy's got cancer in his mouth. Don't know exactly what kind, and probably won't bother doing the biopsy to find out as the cost of treatment won't be doable regardless of what exactly it is. Will probably do some x-rays and cytology on his swollen lymph next week to at least see if it's spread and what kind of time frame we're looking at.
Ugh... Best of luck to both of you, dude. For all best wishes are actually worth.

That's very sad.. I hope you still can enjoy a very long time with him and he stays fit as long as possible. :husky_sad:

Cutting it out is no option for your veterinary? As long as it didn't result in metastases, that would be the first choice on my side. But I don't know the costs in your region for this, nor your possibilities.

Cutting it out is no option for your veterinary? As long as it didn't result in metastases, that would be the first choice on my side. But I don't know the costs in your region for this, nor your possibilities.
It's already too large to be able to fully remove by surgery. Plus any surgery would be at least $4-6k. Other options depending on what exact cancer it is would be radiation therapy, about $5k; or a melanoma vaccine that's only about 50% effective and would be at least $4k.

I don't even have the $2k it would cost to do the full screening necessary to determine the exact cancer and best treatment. Best I can swing is the $1k to see if it's spread to his lungs so we can have a better idea of how far along it is and how it will progress from here.

That's a familiar number on your high end. I dropped exactly $6k to save one of my guys from Evan's Syndrome, xmas two years ago. A week in ICU and several blood transfusions, immunoglobulin meds, experimental meds, the kitchen sink. He was the biggest, best dog I ever had, and likely ever will have. A 1yr old rehome from Dallas, GSD/english mastiff cross but from good stock on the mastiff side, inherited all the right mammoth-framed traits. Taller than me when he stood up and easily outweighed. Gifted, endowed, and knew how to use it expertly. Perfect personality, easily integrated into the pack, got along with everybody, nary a fight. Heart of gold. Rarest find. The kind of dog I'd spent a lifetime looking for; and the kind any of us would've settled down with the rest of our lives if we could.

Him and I should've had a good decade or more together; instead we got 9 months. And if you're looking at a solid 3 months, its a gift. I had all of about 7 days from onset, discovery, diagnosis to ICU, to digging a grave on my land. I spent everything I had. Still walked away with nothing but a body to bury.

I guess the moral of the story is, your inclination is right. Don't do it. Much as it hurts, sometimes there's nothing to do. Veterinary medicine can't work miracles every time.

Damn..
Surgical removal as quick as possible would out of my experiences always be the first and most important step, each day counts.. but if it can't get removed wholly (including quite an areal of "healthy" - it is not, there are most probably already cancer cells in it, even without metastases - tissue around, as "our" surgeries had a 100% rate by near-tumor removal of recurring multiple times), that's not promising, independently of costs..

I really hope and wish you both that there's a sort of positive surprise and you'll still have a long time together, as painless for him as possible..

Much as it hurts, sometimes there's nothing to do. Veterinary medicine can't work miracles every time.
Unfortunately true.. even as every life is doomed to end some day, but it's always too early for beloved animals.

Him and I should've had a good decade or more together; instead we got 9 months. And if you're looking at a solid 3 months, its a gift.
He'll be 12 next month, which is the high end of average for Goldens. I've had him since he was 8 weeks.

Kain 6-20-11 3.JPG
The day I brought him home.

Surgical removal as quick as possible would out of my experiences always be the first and most important step, each day counts..
As quickly as possible wouldn't have been 5 months ago when I first noticed it, but I had just moved and money was too tight to even face the vet to be told the possible diagnosis of even a $1k surgery. So I put it off til I could no longer keep ignoring it. At this point it's a question of what we can do to make what time he has left the most comfortable and what to watch for in terms of decline.

Sorry to hear about this, make as much time as you can to be with him, use up vacation days, go on a trip, give extra treats, make fresh food, slow car rides in the country with windows down, anything extra you can.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish he gets better...

Update:
Took him for x-rays and cytology last week to see if it had metastasized and get a better idea of his prognosis. Got the results back today.

Nothing showing in his chest on the x-rays, but it has metastasized into him lymphs, where they were able to confirm that it is melanoma. Even if we were to pursue palliative treatment, which would cost $10k+, she gives it only 5-7 months of control. Without treatment estimates 1-3 months before the continually growing mass in his mouth will began interfering with his ability to eat and/or his swollen lymph starts constricting his throat or airway.

I won't pretend to know your situation or to be some sort of veterinary expert, but I think you would be making the right move by avoiding aggressive treatment, or prolonging things with full palliative care, even if money wasn't an issue. You are doing the right thing by prioritizing keeping him as comfortable and happy as possible for as long as he still maintains a good quality of life. I hope you two can make the most of it.

It's time. Have a mobile vet coming by on Monday.

He's deteriorated rapidly the last couple weeks. Been panting a lot, and I don't think it's from heat. The past week he's developed antibiotic resistant strains in his month against the antibiotics we've had him on since March. And this weekend he's really reduced the amount he's eating.

Can't decide if I want to do a private cremation and keep his ashes, or just do a group cremation. Part of me wants to be able to keep a part of him, but then I think "What am I really going to do with an urn of ashes? Keep it on a shelf for 20 years then throw it in the trash when I say 'why do I still have this?'."

God damn dude, I'm so sorry to hear that.

Iv been there myself. My old boy was 14 when he left. Cancer is a bitch. He was fine one day and not the next. I think about him all the time.

Back