Just flagged one!

*types:
user: IHO
pass: "a unique and strong one"
* logs in*
🤣
press-any-key-any-key.gif

Hello,

So as some of you have already noticed, we seem to being hit by another wave of bots logging into people's accounts and posting spam on the account's behalf, trying to get people to click on a link for a "dating website." This likely isn't targeted at us, nor is it a problem with the Xenforo forum software, as this same bot has also infiltrated forums running on MyBB and Invision Community.

So far I've configuring ZooVille to capture the posts and make them invisible for normal users. It's possible that some posts my still wind up on the forum. If that is the case, please report them.

Here's what we know, and here's what you'll need to do if you can suddenly no longer login:

This bot is only logging into people's accounts. The bot is not changing people's passwords. It pretty much logs in, makes a spam post, then immediately logs out. So most likely this is either from the LastPass breach, or from a computer virus.

Since it's not changing people's passwords, what I'm doing is forcing a password change on the accounts that have been compromised instead of outright banning them. The user will need to log into their email and will need to set a new password by clicking on the password reset link. I'd also advise changing the password on every single account you've used the same password on.
DOWN WITH THE MACHINES THEM SONS OF BITCHES. Oh know they are ZOOPHILES TOO AWWWW

Thanks for telling us this is happening. It also reminds us to keep an eye on our bank accounts and other things just in case a virus or other nasty software steals the password. I am sure too many people out there know the misery that can cause!! Would Yubikeys work on this site? I never had one so I would not know exactly the way they work. I just know that a lot of people seem to use them. Just don't use one and assume all is well. Keep an eye on accounts just incase those pesky hackers come up with something new!
I bank with Huntington they are on everything great bank every action in my account is te t to me prior to paying out

Ever since Stuxnet (a very effective virus everyone got their hands on) it's been causing a big leap in cyber warfare. Stuxnet is the kind of virus that will shut down centrifuges and steal research data from other countries. So yea, more advanced tech for all. Hence the leap in AI tech. Hence more effective bots. Cyber warfare is a reality now.

People get paranoid about showing themselves. But be mindful of bank account details and such. Personally I just go to the bank in person.

Back