Zoo's that live or know Farms or Ranchs owned by Zoo's how did it start?

And a 40hr a week job if you don't manage to make money through the ranch or farm itself. Which is incredibly hard to turn a profit. Possible, but difficult.
And don't forget that the critters want to be fed *EVERY* *SINGLE* *DAY* *NO* *MATTER* *WHAT*, regardless of whether it's a weekend or a holiday, or you're feeling rough after a late night session with uncle Jack or his little brother Bud, or your mental state after having adventures with the sweet Mary Jane, or you're flat on your back sick/injured, or the weather is shitty, or... Drag your ass out to the barn and take care of 'em! No, the fact that you can barely stand isn't relevant - GET OUT THERE!

That would be because those of us who LIVE it, rather than wishing for it, or drooling over the idea of it, know exactly what kind of *WORK* is involved. The ones saying "I wanna be on a farm" have no concept of just how much work is involved - backbreaking, unpleasant, smelly, dangerous, grinding, mind-numbing *WORK*. They have no clue that it ain't about "Hey, I've got 40 head of horses, so thats 40 pussies for me to fuck" - you and I know that it's 40 stalls to clean, 40 grain-buckets to build morning and evening, 40 water buckets to be dumped, scrubbed, refilled, and humped back to 40 stalls, etc, etc, etc, etc - and that's *ONLY* the "directly involves the livestock" stuff - then there's the fences to build/maintain/repair, the pastures to groom, the barn to be painted, the driveway to be graded, the busted toilet in the house to repair, the... (do I need to go on? And that's just the very tiniest tip of the iceberg!) Thing get even more fun when a critter gets sick and has to be dealt with - and don't forget the fact that you have to effectively throw away a day's work when it's time for the farrier to come through and at least trim, if not shoe, the whole crew - at anywhere from $70 to $150 a pop.

Nope, having/living on a farm isn't all "pussy up to the ears"... Not by a long, Long, LONG, *LONG* shot!
Very valid points

And a 40hr a week job if you don't manage to make money through the ranch or farm itself. Which is incredibly hard to turn a profit. Possible, but difficult.
I don't even want to start counting how many irons I have in the fire to keep everything afloat!!!

I don't even want to start counting how many irons I have in the fire to keep everything afloat!!!
Betcha can't get a count without taking off your boots and socks, and unzipping your fly! :) Probably several times, based on what I know of farming/horse work. If it ain't one thing, it's 14 others, most generally all at once, and at the worst possible moment.

On another similar site I came across a farmer and his wife who lived somewhere within reasonable travelling distance of where I live. I go round there fairly often and meet a few similar-minded regulars. It's very much a case of "no holds barred" between everyone and everything that is there and a good time is had by all.
😍

That would be because those of us who LIVE it, rather than wishing for it, or drooling over the idea of it, know exactly what kind of *WORK* is involved. The ones saying "I wanna be on a farm" have no concept of just how much work is involved - backbreaking, unpleasant, smelly, dangerous, grinding, mind-numbing *WORK*. They have no clue that it ain't about "Hey, I've got 40 head of horses, so thats 40 pussies for me to fuck" - you and I know that it's 40 stalls to clean, 40 grain-buckets to build morning and evening, 40 water buckets to be dumped, scrubbed, refilled, and humped back to 40 stalls, etc, etc, etc, etc - and that's *ONLY* the "directly involves the livestock" stuff - then there's the fences to build/maintain/repair, the pastures to groom, the barn to be painted, the driveway to be graded, the busted toilet in the house to repair, the... (do I need to go on? And that's just the very tiniest tip of the iceberg!) Thing get even more fun when a critter gets sick and has to be dealt with - and don't forget the fact that you have to effectively throw away a day's work when it's time for the farrier to come through and at least trim, if not shoe, the whole crew - at anywhere from $70 to $150 a pop.

Nope, having/living on a farm isn't all "pussy up to the ears"... Not by a long, Long, LONG, *LONG* shot!
*smiles and nods* VERY much this! THANK YOU! It gets even more challenging as one ages and those wonderful (sic) infirmities manifest. *sighs*

*smiles and nods* VERY much this! THANK YOU! It gets even more challenging as one ages and those wonderful (sic) infirmities manifest. *sighs*
Trust me... I'm getting to that age. But the critters still want to be fed, and I can't stand the idea of leaving them standing hock-deep in shit 'just 'cause I tweaked my ankle yesterday, or my back is griping at me from stacking hay the day before, or any of a zillion other "gawd.... I'm gettin' too old for this shit..." grumblings.

Trust me... I'm getting to that age. But the critters still want to be fed, and I can't stand the idea of leaving them standing hock-deep in shit 'just 'cause I tweaked my ankle yesterday, or my back is griping at me from stacking hay the day before, or any of a zillion other "gawd.... I'm gettin' too old for this shit..." grumblings.
One has to learn how to pace themselves and what they can and can not do. If we don't take care of ourselves then who will be able to take care of our animal companions and partners?

Farm and Ranch are similar but not the same. A ranch predominantly raises animals. A Farm predominantly raises crops. Both can have both.
Rarely have I met a farmer/rancher who has idle time. The work is never done, and if you think it is, well . . . I'll just say you ain't lookin'.
Also, rarely have I met the rancher who didn't dabble in some self indulgence involving the critters. They may not identify as zoo, nor do they care what the world may think and probably don't put much philosophical thought into it, nor bother to consider a label in the first place.
Raising animals puts the rancher into first call for every problem that comes up. The care and responsibility is 24/7. You have to take the worst conditions with the best ones.

Most zoo farms seem to get started in one of two ways, a zoo inherits a family farm or a zoo buys land and starts their own. Lots of small "hobby farms" around, I know every time I see one with mini-horse I immediately wonder if there's more than the typical small farm activity going on. :p

Most operate like any other farm of similar size; lots of work day after day in good weather and foul, just in the off hours there's some extra lovin too. Most who've invested the immense effort of maintaining even a small farm, the time spent working with the non-humans, the expense of buying the place and paying the taxes, etc aren't likely to take too many risks.

I went past a hobby farm that looked like it had 1 of everything. 1 heifer, 1 nanny, 1 ewe, 1 pony mare, 1 hembra, and who knows what else. This was just in their front field right next to the house. . . Things that make you go "hmmm. . . "

I have only ever been exclusive with Canines and I live in an area near a lot of Farms and Ranch's. I wish one day to have many experiences with other animals and I'm curious about what life is like on Farms and Ranch's where the people who own it are Zoo's. If you can share your experiences of being on one of these or tell us about life on one of these places you know of, I would love to hear. (No Locations or suggestive info of locations is NOT needed just the experiences.) Thank you.
There are 2 prerequisites: Learning & Doing.
Knowledge of what and how is needed. Takes a lifetime. One should never consider themselves fully learnt.
Then applying that knowledge by taking action. It's a commitment, and most of it won't be peaches and honey.

I'd also opine that it isn't something someone should do just because they are curious. It'll end poorly.

I went past a hobby farm that looked like it had 1 of everything. 1 heifer, 1 nanny, 1 ewe, 1 pony mare, 1 hembra, and who knows what else. This was just in their front field right next to the house. . . Things that make you go "hmmm. . . "

More than a little suspicious.

Most farms will keep a primary stock, goats or sheep or cattle, then breed new stock for meat or sale etc.

Where is the male if there is only one of each.

My wife and I live on a hobby farm in very rural B.C.. We both discovered our mutual interest after being married. We just sort grew into it as a life style choice. My wife admits when I am away she will come home from her employment and will have four legged refreshment to take the edge off the work week. Including others in this activity happened with two hitchhikers from the E.U.. The young couple stayed over and after a group fun the activity ended up in the barn. We enjoyed watching the young couple engage with wild abandon the pleasures of the beast. Seeing them copulate with horse and dog was exciting. Today we have a very small discrete group that meet twice a year. Recommend when approaching people on this be very careful!

On another similar site I came across a farmer and his wife who lived somewhere within reasonable travelling distance of where I live. I go round there fairly often and meet a few similar-minded regulars. It's very much a case of "no holds barred" between everyone and everything that is there and a good time is had by all.
Sounds like a great way to end up in jail eventually

Yes, I live on my father's farm, and it's so peaceful and beautiful place, but, with it comes hard labour, responsibilities, you work with your two bare hands, sweating, injuring yourself, if something breaks, you grind it, cut it with the grinder , tap it and weld it , happened today when keeping the road in good shape with the mobile tractor scraper blade, which, broke when it got stuck on an embedded rock, if the borehole pipes bursts, you fix that too, trimming tree branches to keep the electrical cables from tripping in thunderstorms, mowing the grass around the farm, family plants tobacco, corn, lucern, peas etc in our agricultural land, I have only 6 hours of my time for myself before bed time weekdays , that includes my stallion and Rottweiler taken care off too , on weekends I am off. Visiting a zoo farm and owning a farm is two different things

My wife and I live on a hobby farm in very rural B.C.. We both discovered our mutual interest after being married. We just sort grew into it as a life style choice. My wife admits when I am away she will come home from her employment and will have four legged refreshment to take the edge off the work week. Including others in this activity happened with two hitchhikers from the E.U.. The young couple stayed over and after a group fun the activity ended up in the barn. We enjoyed watching the young couple engage with wild abandon the pleasures of the beast. Seeing them copulate with horse and dog was exciting. Today we have a very small discrete group that meet twice a year. Recommend when approaching people on this be very careful!
You two are amazing

i used to live on a zoo horse farm with several others. they had and played with studs, mares, cows, dogs, and pigs.
unfortunately after moving there, i quickly learned that they were actually abusive to them. they had so many animals and couldnt afford to actually feed and care for them all, but were convinced that they were rescuing all those animals, ie adopting a horse destined for slaughter just to bring it back and not able to care for it. they even gave me a beautiful and gentle stud to play with and be mine, but i couldnt afford to care for him either after movin out in middle of nowhere, and told them to take him to sell. i knew he may baught for slaughter too, but at least he wouldnt suffer :(

i used to live on a zoo horse farm with several others. they had and played with studs, mares, cows, dogs, and pigs.
unfortunately after moving there, i quickly learned that they were actually abusive to them. they had so many animals and couldnt afford to actually feed and care for them all, but were convinced that they were rescuing all those animals, ie adopting a horse destined for slaughter just to bring it back and not able to care for it. they even gave me a beautiful and gentle stud to play with and be mine, but i couldnt afford to care for him either after movin out in middle of nowhere, and told them to take him to sell. i knew he may baught for slaughter too, but at least he wouldnt suffer :(
You are a decent guy, you did your best.

and worst days when you have to take the rifle to your most loved animal because of ravages of time and winter. then dealing with the bodies of the ones who succumb over night. 3 lambs this season, my oldest ewe during chrismas.

and worst days when you have to take the rifle to your most loved animal because of ravages of time and winter. then dealing with the bodies of the ones who succumb over night. 3 lambs this season, my oldest ewe during chrismas.

Yep. My cow at the end of '22. My god, that hurt. I raised her from a 6 day old bottle calf. My first large livestock animal. The first project after I bought this property was to get to work clearing and building fence so I could start my first cow. Nothing but an old CL curb alert shanty RV to live in, I put her projects first. Hell, I'd pitched camp in the calf pen all thru the warm months and worked from home just to stay with her. A herd of two we made, as she had no other bovines til years later, just me and the dogs. Over the next 6 years we'd been thru everything together. She was the pride and joy of this place. All my photo albums are nothing but a hereford cow.

Mind you, I didn't have to put her down. But what should've been the matriarch of my farm turned out to be a sterile freemartin instead. Still, I kept her 6 years. But last year was the end. That 100th meridian is tracking ever eastward, and climate change wreaked its havoc. The drought natural disaster killed my pasture, sent the haying operations out of business. No irrigation, no feed. We all sold cattle herds in droves here. I sold her to some folks out east where there's better annual rainfall, into what I hope will be a better life. A zoophile's equivalent of a divorce, I suppose. And the sow killed her piglets when I was down with covid and couldn't weld a farrowing crate, and the mastiff couldn't keep her pups warm in a state that isn't supposed to freeze. On and on. Nobody tells you farm life is learning to live with a lot of loss.

Last edited:
Yep. My cow at the end of '22. My god, that hurt. I raised her from a 6 day old bottle calf. My first large livestock animal. The first project after I bought this property was to get to work clearing and building fence so I could start my first cow. Nothing but an old CL curb alert shanty RV to live in, I put her projects first. Hell, I'd pitched camp in the calf pen all thru the warm months and worked from home just to stay with her. A herd of two we made, as she had no other bovines til years later, just me and the dogs. Over the next 6 years we'd been thru everything together. She was the pride and joy of this place. All my photo albums are nothing but a hereford cow. Even the neighbors loved all over her, put their kids on her back for a cow ride.

Mind you, I didn't have to put her down. But what should've been the matriarch of my farm turned out to be a sterile freemartin instead. Still, I kept her 6 years. But last year was the end. That 100th meridian is tracking ever eastward, and climate change wreaked its havoc. The drought natural disaster killed my pasture, sent the haying operations out of business. No irrigation, no feed. We all sold cattle herds in droves here. I sold her to some folks out east where there's better annual rainfall, into what I hope will be a better life. A zoophile's equivalent of a divorce, I suppose. And the sow killed her piglets when I was down with covid and couldn't weld a farrowing crate, and the mastiff couldn't keep her pups warm in a state that isn't supposed to freeze. On and on. Nobody tells you farm life is learning to live with a lot of loss.
yup, here at times nights can free fall to as low as -50c (Thank fuck it is rar, and one of them I`ll carry them into the basement of the house!) average in winter is -30.

you can only engineer your way for so much. I was lucky I fell ill in summer so no worries as they could manage them selfs for a few days.

Sorry for your losses there mate, they do cut deep, that ewe popped out the ram that is now building the herd, she was an amazing lay too, I was hoping she`d get to go peacefully in her sleep but nature had other plans and all I could do was offer her an express exit. they all have their unique way of greeting you, I miss hers, and another ewe who slipped the fence and decided to take on a train, too fiesty for her own good, all I can do is hope it was swift!

I am passionate about small scale farming for many other reasons but am lucky for the privacy it provides. Not even strictly sexually, but that's a big plus. You need to be drawn to a simpler, physically grounded lifestyle to get enough joy out of farming to make the hardships worthwhile.

La mayoría de las granjas de zoológicos parecen comenzar de una de dos maneras: un zoológico hereda una granja familiar o un zoológico compra tierras y comienza la suya propia. Muchas pequeñas "granjas de pasatiempos" alrededor, sé que cada vez que veo una con un mini-caballo, inmediatamente me pregunto si hay más que la actividad típica de una pequeña granja. :pagAg

La mayoría opera como cualquier otra granja de tamaño similar; mucho trabajo día tras día con buen tiempo y mal tiempo, solo en las horas libres también hay algo de amor extra. La mayoría de los que han invertido el enorme esfuerzo de mantener incluso una pequeña granja, el tiempo dedicado a trabajar con los no humanos, el gasto de comprar el lugar y pagar los impuestos, etc.

La mayoría de las granjas de zoológicos parecen comenzar de una de dos maneras: un zoológico hereda una granja familiar o un zoológico compra tierras y comienza la suya propia. Muchas pequeñas "granjas de pasatiempos" alrededor, sé que cada vez que veo una con un mini-caballo, inmediatamente me pregunto si hay más que la típica actividad de una pequeña granja. :pag

La mayoría opera como cualquier otra granja de tamaño similar; mucho trabajo día tras día con buen tiempo y mal tiempo, solo en las horas libres también hay algo de amor extra. La mayoría de los que han invertido el inmenso esfuerzo de mantener incluso una pequeña granja, el tiempo dedicado a trabajar con los no humanos, el gasto de comprar el lugar y pagar los impuestos, etc. probablemente no correrán demasiados riesgos.historiae

Most zoo farms seem to get started in one of two ways, a zoo inherits a family farm or a zoo buys land and starts their own. Lots of small "hobby farms" around, I know every time I see one with mini-horse I immediately wonder if there's more than the typical small farm activity going on. :p

Most operate like any other farm of similar size; lots of work day after day in good weather and foul, just in the off hours there's some extra lovin too. Most who've invested the immense effort of maintaining even a small farm, the time spent working with the non-humans, the expense of buying the place and paying the taxes, etc aren't likely to take too many risks.
Estoy de acuerdo con usd, mi sueño dorado es tener un rancho, en la sierra de mi ciudad, difícil de entrar, muchos animales , algunos 10 machos, unos 4 ponys, y más machos para darle rienda suelta a mi lujuria

Back