Zoophilia in history

Isn't there the Greek myth of Epona, who was born of the union between a man who formed a sexual relationship with a mare because he hated women, and the offspring became the goddess of fertility?
I'm no historian so I probably have that ALL wrong, but still, that's a thing worth documenting if I'm at all correct.

A few years ago, I watch a sensible, normal documentary about Roman gladiators. All good and vanilla (and very interesting). At one point, the aspect of pleasing the crowd was reviewed. This was early showbiz, after all. People wanted to see more ferocious lions, more athletic gladiators, indeed more of everything. If watching humans losing their lives was viewed as entertainment (albeit the modern Hollywood action movie is the equivalent nowadays), the bar was set low on what would be permitted. And that included slave girls, according to the documentary, herded into the arena to be mated by dogs as the crowd cheered and jeered to show the depravity of barbarians. I would love to say the slave girls were granted their freedom and paraded on shoulders through the streets for their magnificent role in zoophilia history. Sadly, no such luck. After being mated, they had their throats cut. To those about to mate, we salute you.

Here you go

So human/animal coupling is a huge theme in lots of mythology! One major example is the wife of King Minos, who coupled with a bull and gave birth to the Minotaur. Other examples I can immediately think of include animal brides (touched on here), the various exploits of Zeus, and other myths related to shapeshifting. In terms of historical information, a lot of classical authors accuse the Egyptians of bestiality, but, much like today's jokes against the Welsh (or Scottish, Kiwis, etc.) it was likely just an insult. I did find some references indicating that some tribes indigenous to North America seem to not have had a taboo against zoosexual behavior, but I want to do more research into that. And obviously, religion managed to get its hands on this, as it has so many other things. Abrahamic religions have proscriptions against it, in Leviticus 18 and 20, although in the New Testament, some scholars have debated if there remains a proscription against zoosexual acts, based on Jesus' overturning of Judaic law.

I'll let y'all know if I learn more as I do more research.

Isn't there the Greek myth of Epona, who was born of the union between a man who formed a sexual relationship with a mare because he hated women, and the offspring became the goddess of fertility?
I'm no historian so I probably have that ALL wrong, but still, that's a thing worth documenting if I'm at all correct.
Um, I must respectully correct you a little. Epona was adopted by the Romans from the Gauls, which were the Celts of France and Wales. However, you were correct about her conception.

Ethnogenesis in many mythologies (how a certain nation was born) sometimes involve human-animal mating. The two I can remember is (1) Turkic mythology had a human/wolf hybrids as their ancestors (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic_mythology#Grey_Wolf_legend). (2) In Chinese mythology, a king promised anyone who killed his archenemy may marry his daughter. His dog did it, and the princess married the dog after a magic process turned him into a human with a dog head (basically an anthro). A few southern Chinese ethnic groups claim that the dog-man and the princess were their ancestor. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhu)

How about Romulus and Remus, founders of Rome, suckled at the teats of a wolf?

How about Romulus and Remus, founders of Rome, suckled at the teats of a wolf?

There's one possible origon for this myth. Apparently back in ancient Rome, prostitutes were sometimes referred to as "She Wolves". Maybe , someone thought it better politically to create the legend of being suckled by a wolf for Rome's Founding Fathers,,better than a common prostitute :)

In terms of recent history (the past 20 years -- since about the year 2000), the history of zoophilia has been about lots and lots of anti-zoo laws being made (all over the world). In recent years, more and more governments have been banning it (it's an "anti-zoo movement" of sorts).

I am convinced that Diogenes of Sinope was probably a zoo.

If he was, then you know he would have practiced because he rejected all social conventions, and he was deliberately subversive. You know that, if he thought he could get someone's goat by fucking a dog in public, he probably would do it just on account. In fact, Diogenes was convinced that squeamishness was among the primary defects of the human race and was really an unpardonable fault.

In fact, I would even speculate, adventurously, that his zooishness may have been the inspiration behind his entire philosophy, and his philosophy inspired Zeno of Citium to found the philosophy of Stoicism, which is the very foundation of the modern concept of social justice...or any kind of equality based justice at all, frankly.

Last edited:
There also is the old Roman "novel"..The Golden Ass - the Metamorphosis of Apulieus" ( I think I spelt that correctly) A young man magically gets transformed into a donkey and has many sexual adventures. This is supposed to be one of the oldest novels still existing. It's still widely available, and well worth reading for zoo's :)

Most people know two things about Catherine the Great: 1. She ruled Russia 2. She was rumored to have sex with horses. That was a completely unfounded smear, but it had such staying power because Catherine had developed quite the libertine reputation and so people would believe almost anything. She made no pretense toward chastity and took many lovers (this was in the 1700s, so you can imagine the pearl clutching) and she supposedly spent a lot of time in the royal stables tending to her favorite stallion, Dudley.

No thread about zoophilia in history is complete without this prehistoric cave painting from Val Camonica...
Valcamus.gif

That prehistoric drawing just got me to wonder. That must just be what some prehistoric artist imagined..rather than something he did or saw. At that period in time, there were NO domesticated animals..and a wild equine would never let a human *that* up-close and personal ?? :) Or it's a case of necrophilia ??

Last edited:
That prehistoric drawing just got me to wonder. That must just be what some prehistoric artist imagined..rather than something he did or saw. At that period in time, there were NO domesticated animals..and a wild equine would never let a human *that* up-close and personal ?? :) Or it's a case of necrophilia ??
Hey, you never know. I've heard of people who get in pretty incredible relationships with wild animals. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe they could have been drawing something they actually did.

I think I've said this before, but I sometimes daydream about going back in time to capture a prehistoric horse, and take it to a sanctuary to have sex with it. I'm talking Merychippus or Pliohippus; one of the 3-toed ones where you don't have to use a stand to line up with her entrance.

Back