Winning the lottery. What would you do?

It depends how much we're talking about? $1? $100? $1,000? $1,000,000? I guess let's say for simplicity's sake that I won a nice $10,000,000. The first thing I would do would be to pay off my house which is the largest debt I'm currently in. The next thing I'd do would be to hire a Financial Advisor.

I'd want my money to work for me, so I'd likely invest in real estate/properties to rent out to people, such as homes and small apartment complexes. I'd also, with the assistant if my Financial Advisor, invest in stocks. This way I'd be set for life, because instead of working for my money, my money would be working for me. Depending on my success, down the road I'd more than likely purchase a couple of small businesses as well.

But of course I'd spoil my doggy girls to no end! They'd get the finest things in life!

I'm assuming this is you'd never have to work again kind of money (I'll say $10M like Newfie).

Lottery winners can't remain anonymous here, so I'd take off before my face hits every news station. I'd go take the lump sum, and head out across the country where nobody recognizes me so I don't get murdered by family or robbed. Assuming I'm getting somewhere in the range of $6.5M after taxes and all, I'd dedicated $1M to family and friends who genuinely need/deserve the money. Then invest a large part of that remaining $5.5M in slow, reliable investments like index funds since I can live modestly off the money generated from that alone. Maybe take a few years to travel around Europe, then settle down back in the US. Buy a nice summer home in Maine and winter home in Florida. Spend the rest of my days chilling out and spoiling the fuck out of my dogs.

I personally wouldn't recommend a Financial Advisor for stucks and such. Historically they track or even under-perform the market, and after they take their cut you'll end up losing money.

Stop working and retire, get to own all my time. Then possibly buy some small farm place where I can keep a limited number of animals.

Because it takes time and work to run a place, maybe let someone (Neighbor farm) to use the land I would not use for his benefit, maybe in exchange for yearly hay supply and being a helping hand when needed or something like that.

Apart from that, nothing that different from what I do now, really

Go buy some property in the Rockies, build a house to my tastes and spend my days doing whatever I enjoy with whomever/whatever I enjoy doing it with.

For me, rip out my landline, smash all cells (get a prepaid beforehand). Go to a lawyer, go collect and have papers drawn up to whom I want to recieve some of my winnings. Move to hotel for a month - tell no one. Set up personal accounts to stocks/shares/animal rescue/charities/daily foodbank. Disappear from everyone I know. Get a legal to carry permit. Small house well away from the past and enjoy life. Start a business and a mom & pop diner. When I die, leave it to animal care/people in need and have an established animal rescue foundation. Amen.

I would retire, hopeful find a open minded woman that wants to have a loving romantic and trusting relationship were we can openly express and explore ourselves sexual together.

Back