White discharge after heat? *update 2*

D

DM25

I want to start this off saying she has a vet appointment tomorrow morning. I was worried enough and not dumb enough not too

Anyway, so most likely close to 3 year old husky just ended her heat recently, I think as recently as 2 days ago, but I'm not 100% sure as it was only her second heat with me. And frankly, I didn't expect this season so close to her last one in July. Any way, with this heat we had our first mating, and several after that, with the last one being Friday night I believe. I made sure to wash before hand, although I could have been more careful such as trimming her fur and perhaps some other measures.

This morning I noticed a white discharge, and found that it smelled bad, not horrible, but bad. Over the course of the day it started to smell rather rancid to the point of gaging when trying to clean it away. Other than the discharge however, she does not have a fever from what I have observed (I dont have a rectal therm, and have taken it under her "arm"), she is eating normally (picky as normal, but eats), not acting lethargic (still will chase a ball, happy to go on walks), and otherwise is not showing any sign of any kind of infection.

in the back of my mind, I know it could be pyro, I hope its not, but I know its likely. Since its early, how possible is it that she will recover intact?
I'm sure the vet will say first spay her before even considering any other treatment, as they do with pretty much anything else, although I understand how it treats this condition. But for reasons that all here should know, that's a last resort for me. Not only is she my girl, but I was planning on breeding her on her next cycle (I did not expect her back in to heat until Dec) as she is a beautiful dog and everyone I meet with her always has that to say. Not only that, but I strongly suspect previse abuse, and she is very shy (I was told that she was originally purchased from a breeder that held her in a cage that was too small up to 4 months when that person bought her, and had to literally cut her out of that cage. She even has scars from the cage on parts of her body). I feel like putting her through any surgery would be a very traumatic experience, not just from clausiphobia, but also all of the unknown people poking and prodding her for days.

I guess I just want to find out what the other treatment options there are so I can try to bring them up incase the vet "convently" forgets about them in favor of ripping her uteris out.
And what I can do to help prevent this in the future

(Sorry about the long post that jumps everywhere...)

Just came back from the vet, he said that a discharge like what she is having is fairly normal after a cycle, although the smell was a bit concerning
So he proscribed a round of an anti-biotic and talked to me some about what Pyo looks like compared to what I saw
One thing that I found funny is that when they went to take her temp, the had two people holding her like they expected her to fight it, and she just took it with her tail wagging. After words they commented on how good she was through it all. I guess she doesn't mind a probing ;)

Now that its been a couple of days I though I would give another update
She is still having a small discharge, but it no longer smells at all. Rather its fairly neutral, and her normal smell reminiscent of parm cheese is back

One thing that I wonder about is the vet had asked if she was mated while looking in her. I'm probs being paranoid, but with me saying no raise any sus?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyometra will have a horrible smelling dark discharge. Like bloody puss.
If the smell you are talking about is like, rotten hamburger, that is pretty much normal. They always get kinda rank down there for a few days after.

Pyometra will have a horrible smelling dark discharge. Like bloody puss.
If the smell you are talking about is like, rotten hamburger, that is pretty much normal. They always get kinda rank down there for a few days after.
its white and not bloody at all
it does smell like rotted meat
she had a small amount after her last heat, but not as much and not as bad smelling

I don't have much dog experience but I would say take her to a vet. Best outcome is you find out its totally normal for her and nothing is wrong. There is a lot between simple vaginal infections and full blown uterine infections. The sooner you address it the easier and cheaper it is. Maybe some dog people can chime in saying it is nothing to worry about.

Don't be afraid of the vet and if you are find a new one. Its pretty unlikely they will suspect anything other than you being too lazy / cheap / crazy to spay her. Maybe you have a neighbors neutered male that might get in with her to explain any signs of penetration? Tell them you have a male picked out and want to breed her in the future so you are keeping her intact. There are tons of options for treating infections without spaying because breeders have these issues all the time. Again, the sooner you start treatment the better. Hopefully some dog folks can weigh in.

Good luck!

I don't have much dog experience but I would say take her to a vet. Best outcome is you find out its totally normal for her and nothing is wrong. There is a lot between simple vaginal infections and full blown uterine infections. The sooner you address it the easier and cheaper it is. Maybe some dog people can chime in saying it is nothing to worry about.

Don't be afraid of the vet and if you are find a new one. Its pretty unlikely they will suspect anything other than you being too lazy / cheap / crazy to spay her. Maybe you have a neighbors neutered male that might get in with her to explain any signs of penetration? Tell them you have a male picked out and want to breed her in the future so you are keeping her intact. There are tons of options for treating infections without spaying because breeders have these issues all the time. Again, the sooner you start treatment the better. Hopefully some dog folks can weigh in.

Good luck!
Im taking her tomorrow morning
To be honest, I have talked to the vet before and expressed my wish for her to stay intact for overall health reasons (like dyspepsia and hormone imbalances) and cited studies that they said they would read. If anything, I'm just paranoid because other vets have pushed it in my face to the point of annoyance.

Glad to see you are taking her in. Don't take the word of any internet stranger as gospel. After they tell you she is fine, ask what you SHOULD be worried about. That way you won't have to worry so much twice a year. (a little worry is a good thing. It means you are aware of the risk and paying attention)

It's definitely best to err on the side of caution and take her to the vet. I would be a bit surprised if it was pyometra though. While not impossible, it's usually females 6 years and older which are the most susceptible to it. Usually symptoms of pyo begins 2 to 8 weeks after a heat cycle has ended. You'd expect to see lethargy, vomiting, excessive water intake, frequent and sometimes painful urination, and a lack of appetite. Discharge is typically yellow-ish to brown-ish, but can sometimes be tan colored and will often have a puss like consistency.

It's possible that she may have gotten adult onset canine vaginitis. While more common in spayed bitches, it's still quite possible for intact female dogs to get it as well. Usually, discharge looks to be off white to tan to yellow in color and will have the consistency of mucus.

When is the last time you've had sex with her, and how frequently? If you've had frequent sex with her and came inside her vagina 1-3 times a day every day, then it is possible that she could be leaking out your semen. I know I've had vaginal sex with my newfoundland girl, only for her to leak out semen 3 days later. If you've had sex with her 2-3 times a day every day, you can expect her to leak for 4 maybe even 5 days after the matter. Usually old semen will have a pretty foul smell to it, couple that with the muskiness of heat, it's a recipe for a rancid smell. If your diet consists of a lot of onion, garlic, and especially a lot of alcohol that will make your semen smell even worse.

You'll have to let us know what the vet says. Hopefully it's nothing, or at least nothing major. I wish you luck!

Last edited:
It's definitely best to err on the side of caution and take her to the vet. I would be a bit surprised if it was pyometra though. While not impossible, it's usually females 6 years and older which are the most susceptible to it. Usually symptoms of pyo begins 2 to 8 weeks after a heat cycle has ended. You'd expect to see lethargy, vomiting, excessive water intake, frequent and sometimes painful urination, and a lack of appetite. Discharge is typically yellow-ish to brown-ish, but can sometimes be tan colored and will often have a puss like consistency.

It's possible that she may have gotten adult onset canine vaginitis. While more common in spayed bitches, it's still quite possible for intact female dogs to get it as well. Usually, discharge looks to be off white to tan to yellow in color and will have the consistency of mucus.

When is the last time you've had sex with her, and how frequently? If you've had frequent sex with her and came inside her vagina 1-3 times a day every day, then it is possible that she could be leaking out your semen. I know I've had vaginal sex with my newfoundland girl, only for her to leak out semen 3 days later. If you've had sex with her 2-3 times a day every day, you can expect her to leak for 4 maybe even 5 days after the matter. Usually old semen will have a pretty foul smell to it, couple that with the muskiness of heat, it's a recipe for a rancid smell. If your diet consists of a lot of onion, garlic, and especially a lot of alcohol that will make your semen smell even worse.

You'll have to let us know what the vet says. Hopefully it's nothing, or at least nothing major. I wish you luck!
its more like a strait white color. Thin, kind of mucus like.
Friday I believe was the last time if not than Thursday, she was starting to fall out of heat and I didn't really have the time or the energy Saturday nor Sunday
It was only once a day, every other day. Who can manage to have sex 3 times in one day for multiple days? I know I cant

I will keep the timing of leakage in mind for the future though. I was thinking she leaked it out immediately, and was just licking it up as soon as we where done.

Also, I dont drink alcohol. I dont eat much onion or garlic atm. But thinking about the smell, and how it smelled at different points in the day, I can see how it could be old semen. If it is that, hopefully it doesn't raise to much suspicion at the vet.

Hey, wanted to chime in because the EXACT thing happened to me recently. I took her in, got some tests, same results and symptoms. She was perfectly ok without a round of antibiotics, most likely vaginitis as she got it as a pup.

Hey, wanted to chime in because the EXACT thing happened to me recently. I took her in, got some tests, same results and symptoms. She was perfectly ok without a round of antibiotics, most likely vaginitis as she got it as a pup.
IDK about that really. She hasnt had any smell like that in the 8 months I have had her
One thing that I forgot to mention in my update post that has been on my mind lately
The vet asked if she had been mated while looking in her vulva with a hand scope (endoscope? Or something else..) Of course I said no, its very unlikely. As she wouldnt have with a dog at least..
Am I just being paranoid think that he may have at least guessed that I mated with her?

I'm really glad to hear everything with your girl is OK i know how stressful medical mishaps can be :(

For what It's worth I'm almost certain you're safe, by the way. Just a question. But you're not in the wrong to be paranoid, lol.

Back