When to start playing with a new dog?

anonspot

Tourist
So i’m finally in a position to start looking at puppies! I’m going to be getting a belgian malinois, gender isn’t decided as i’m prioritizing temperament (this dog is going to be a working dog).

My biggest question is, assuming the dog shows interest, when is the best time to start ‘playing’ with them? I’ve heard around 2 years, give or take a few months, but i’m just wanting some more peoples’ input. I’ve heard that for females it’s best to wait until at least their second heat, and for males to wait until about 2.

I’m also curious what ages certain ‘stages’ of playing is okay, as it ranges from licking to penetration.

I don’t have anyone very knowledgable to ask about this in person and I want to be responsible about this, so I figured i’d ask the community! Thank you for any responses in advance

You can google when a specific breed reaches sexual maturity. It depends on size and happens for males from 6 month to 2 years.
Always wait for the dog to solidly start showing sexual interest in female dogs, humping things and so on. Which should happen around the 6 month mark. Then you can join in when the dog for example starts humping your leg or a pillow.

Back