Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Asia

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Africa

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters

humananimal

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
After I have been in some sort of discussion about understanding english / US abbreviation I think it will be nice to get an overwiev of where members are comming from / native language.

I could max. have 10 lines, so it was very shortened, so Africa and Asia only got one line each, despite there are a large number of languages there. Perhaps you could write the country’s name then.

My native language is Thai, since i live in the Netherlands i learned Dutch offcourse and for myself i think i'm not to bad in English also

ภาษาแม่ของฉันคือภาษาไทย เนื่องจากฉันอาศัยอยู่ที่เนเธอร์แลนด์ ฉันพูดภาษาดัตช์ และไม่คิดว่าภาษาอังกฤษของฉันจะแย่ขนาดนั้น

My native language is Thai, since i live in the Netherlands i learned Dutch offcourse and for myself i think i'm not to bad in English also

ภาษาแม่ของฉันคือภาษาไทย เนื่องจากฉันอาศัยอยู่ที่เนเธอร์แลนด์ ฉันพูดภาษาดัตช์ และไม่คิดว่าภาษาอังกฤษของฉันจะแย่ขนาดนั้น
Then you have found out how bad google translate is handling Thai. As I use to say, usually quit bad translation, often even funny.

How did you pick these languages? Since I can imagine that there will be a lot of people who do not have their language in the list. Me for example. :D

A nice way would be by using broader language categories (slavic, romance, germanic) plus geographically cassified ones
Could be. The starting point was about english, which is the main language here on ZooVille.
I wanted to find out how many we are that is not native in english. I know there are millions of spanish talking people in USA, and of course south America except Brazil where it is Portuguese. As far I know the three most spoken languages on this earth is Chines, English and Spanish.
So interesting how the distribution is here at ZV.
Until know I haven’t found any Chinese, Probably they cant find ZV from there ?

Then you have found out how bad google translate is handling Thai. As I use to say, usually quit bad translation, often even funny.
Must say, it's getting better at Google, also by suggestions people send to them using the feedback link, but translation thai to english is still worse then the other way around. And you might know that Thai words can have many meanings when written and when spoken

Must say, it's getting better at Google, also by suggestions people send to them using the feedback link, but translation thai to english is still worse then the other way around. And you might know that Thai words can have many meanings when written and when spoken
I am not Thai, but my wife is. And to avoid the standard thought of an old man with teenage wife - we are both 60+

I had planned to make a longer list, the world is big. But only room for 10 options.
And the main goal was to find out how many member are native english speaking.
So perhaps I should have asked - are you native english speaking - yes / no.
But lets see. I have deliberately made it stop after 3 months.

Nothing special here, I am just a native English speaker, like probably most people on this site. My dialect would probably be a bit off from most people here though.

French here.
French Canadian in fact. But i do believe that even if my English isn't perfect, i can make myself clear enough to discuss!

Until now 20 answers and (only) 9 vote native english.
I most admit my poll was not ideal designed, perhaps some from Africa, Asia a.s.o. is native talking english, but in that case they should have voter english speaking.

Italian. it's not a secret, but... I think that this kind of polls should be done with anonymous votation. Then, who wants to add details can do it in the comments.

Italian. it's not a secret, but... I think that this kind of polls should be done with anonymous votation. Then, who wants to add details can do it in the comments.
As far as I know it is anonymous, your avatar is shown only when commenting. Am I wrong ?

As far as I know it is anonymous, your avatar is shown only when commenting. Am I wrong ?
Nope, if you click on the votes you can see who voted that option. I have no problem with this, but for someone else it could be a problem... :unsure:

Hey you look nice and interesting profile too

Nope, if you click on the votes you can see who voted that option. I have no problem with this, but for someone else it could be a problem... :unsure:
You are right! Thanks for telling me 👍
I didn’t know that, but has now removed that box marking.
So now you can’t see who has voted.

Now the poll has closed.
I had wondered how many in this forum is native english speaking.
Of course nobody knows how representative it is.
Some members has questioned the design of the poll, and I admit it could have been better, and including some parts of the world better. But the purpose was not so much geography as language.
44 answers, from these 21 is native english, 7 Spanish, and a surprise for me, 9 German.
48% is native english and 16% Spanish, which probably reflects the big Hispanic group in USA, and 21% German. Together 84% of all answers.
Conclusion : barely half is native english speaking. An important result, because that should make us all more cautious when we read and write. Not all is so strong in the language, and speaking for my self, I often have difficulties in understanding abbreviations, slang and not least certain standard sentences and proverbs, which I can’t to look up in any dictionaries.
So sometimes I have posted a question.

Last edited:
Back