What is your favorite genre of music?

• Country

• Rock

• Heavy Metal

• Pop

• Rap

• Hip-Hop

Results are only viewable after voting.
None of the listed poll options. I listen to alternative and progressive rock. Sigur Ros is my usual go to. Also love the Cafe Del Mar collection. Lo Fi is perfect background music as well.

All the above with some provisos...

Country- Americana or older country (90s and before). Not really into the Nash-Vegas acts on top 40 country radio. Every now and then I will hear one I enjoy but it's almost entirely people out of the "mainstream" of country radio. Lots of Willie, Johnny and Merle and on the newer side I like Kacey Musgraves a fair bit

Rock- Rock and roll ("oldies"), classic rock, rockabilly, alt rock..like a lot of guitar based music. My overall favorite band is the Beach Boys because I love harmony but not for the reasons MOST of their fans say (I like the stuff from the TODAY! album through THE BEACH BOYS (1985) album best rather than the hot rod and early surf songs) but the wife and I saw Muse last year and it was great.

Heavy Metal- I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a "metalhead" but there's a fair amount of power chord-laden entries in my YTM playlists. I do more traditional stuff (NWOBHM, power metal, etc.) and some thrash/speed metal as well but not into 'core (can't do the cookie monster vocals)

Pop- I'm in my 50s so it's decidedly less a percentage of my overall listening than it once was but I do still listen to and enjoy the occasional Top 40 tune. Right now, I'm kinda digging Olivia Rodrigo.

Rap- I tend to listen to stuff that either gets categorized as "conscious" or old school rap from 80s/90s but there are always hit and miss exceptions. Lots of somewhat fringe bands that are "known" by hip-hop heads but probably getting little to no airplay (Ugly Duckling, Blackalicious, Jurassic 5)

Hip-Hop- Isn't this a synonym for rap? The only people I've heard separate these are people who suggest "hip-hop" is the culture AROUND rap (i.e. clothing, slang) and rap is the music itself

My weird musical quirks- I like swing music and still listen, unironically, to 90s swing revival acts like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Lee Press-On and the Nails, Bellevue Cadillac, etc. along with the 30s/40s bands. Also a fair amount of CCM/gospel. Also really digging the synthpop revival going on with people like M83/CHRVCHES/etc.

Back