use of telegram for this stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot2trot

Tourist
Since it binds to a phone number, and since telegram blacklisted all of textnow, what is a good alternative? Already lost access to the textnow number I had. :3

It depends if they're allowed where you live, but a prepaid "disposable" SIM card that doesn't require registration will work. They're common here for cheap international calls and foreign tourists so we can buy them freely without looking shady.

None of the fake number services work anymore. My account was swiftly banned after someone reported a zoo chat I was in and had connected a Google voice number to. I also got banned from Twitter in the same breath, so I knew I needed an option that wouldn't force me to use my real number

A more secure option is to find a text service, that's what I did. It let me rent a number for both Twitter and then Telegram. I used textverified.com but I'm sure with research you can use another one just fine. They usually accept crypto. But anyways, it was like 50 cents so try to search around for pricing similar to that.

Last edited:
Or switch to a messenger that does not use phone numbers.
It is finally time for zoos to ditch the stupid idea of connecting a personal information to your chat account.
Use Matrix or Session (which IIRC does not use phones either) and has small history of banning zoo groups.

It depends if they're allowed where you live, but a prepaid "disposable" SIM card that doesn't require registration will work. They're common here for cheap international calls and foreign tourists so we can buy them freely without looking shady.
This approach has heaps of issues if you intend to ever log out or you are accidentally logged out especially 6 months after you stopped using the SIM.

When it comes to the online sms services, I do not know how exactly these work, but I guess it is possible for someone else to be assigned the same number you had once you are done with it.
That way it might be possible to "recover" your account and steal it, maybe. Someone with more experience with recent telegram usage might check this.
It might not even be targeting you specifically.

This approach has heaps of issues if you intend to ever log out or you are accidentally logged out especially 6 months after you stopped using the SIM.

When it comes to the online sms services, I do not know how exactly these work, but I guess it is possible for someone else to be assigned the same number you had once you are done with it.
That way it might be possible to "recover" your account and steal it, maybe. Someone with more experience with recent telegram usage might check this.
It might not even be targeting you specifically.
It depends on the provider but with some you have to make a phone call within every 3 months to keep the sim card and phone number alive. You can call any number to do this, there's plenty of automated helplines you can call for a few seconds then hang up.

With Telegram the only way to "recover" an account with just the phone number is to wipe the old account/messages and start new, so if the number is recycled all they could do is wipe your account. I think if you have a phone number and email linked to the account, it is possible to recover the account but you need access to both email and SMS, otherwise all someone with the number could do is wipe it.
If you realise your phone number is dead but are still logged into the app, you can change to a new throw away phone number without loosing everything.

Or switch to a messenger that does not use phone numbers.
It is finally time for zoos to ditch the stupid idea of connecting a personal information to your chat account.
Use Matrix or Session (which IIRC does not use phones either) and has small history of banning zoo groups.

Personally I would be wary of the smaller encrypted messaging apps. There was another called EncroChat which came on a "secure" modified Android phone. It was advertised as the most secure and popular with organised criminals. But they hosted the service on a single server in France which French authorities seized control of, used the server to push out a malicious update and broke the encryption using the user's own phones :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back