Unneutered male dog w/ odd behavior.

ItsKnotMe

Tourist
Hello. So I know someone that has a male dog with some odd behaviors so I wanted to see if anyone might have any information or advice...
First, he is a german shepherd that's about a year old, not neutered. He is super sweet and friendly to every kind of animal (he wouldn't hurt a kitten I'm sure). Everything about him seems to be normal except...
He seems to have 0 instinctual male behavior. He doesn't care about peeing to mark his scent or cover up other scents, he lets other, much smaller dogs dominate him pretty much.
The last thing is that, while every now and then his little lipstick does peek it's head out that's the furthest it ever goes. Nobody has ever seen it out more than a half inch and a anytime anyone tries to inspect it he gets protective of it, like it hurts(so of course we don't continue to try). He certainly has no interest in sex, mating, or anything even somewhat related to it.
I was wondering/suspecting that the things were related but am not sure honestly.
Any thoughts or opinions on what it might be are more than welcome. Thanks.. .

Hi!
First, you should know that the lipstick coming out when they sit isn’t a sexual behaviour at all. It does look great, but it just means that for any reason, their dick is a little more slippery than usual, so the sheath slides down a few centimetres because of.. well, gravity.

However, just like our morning wood, a healthy dog should regularly get hard in some situations. Usually when they’re super happy sometimes, or when they wake up in the morning, dogs will get hard in their sheath for a minute or two. You should monitor if that happens to your boy to know if his dick is actually working properly.

Is he healthy otherwise? Some dogs can get late to the party, if he’s less than 18 months old I wouldn’t worry too much, it will come. If he’s closer to the 2 year old mark, you might want to talk about it to a vet, especially since you can’t check it out at all without him reacting in a bad way. It could be sign for seemingly unrelated health issues or hormonal problems.

A year old is still usually a developing dog when it comes to larger breeds, so his behavior is pretty standard. However, similar behaviors can be a sign of urinary problems too.
When you take him out to use the restroom, does he show any hesitance or any negative reactions when trying to urinate? (whale mouthing, whimpering, repeatedly licking lips and nose, etc.) Or does he assume a urinating position and then move to different spots without urinating? If he does any of those things, it could be a sign of urinary tract problems and would you would need to contact a vet.

Remember not all male dogs are alpha dogs - especially as a "teenager" . Give him time to grow and age into establishing his territory.

Not entirely uncommon our older male has no interest either and acts similar with not really peeing all over etc

Remember not all male dogs are alpha dogs - especially as a "teenager" . Give him time to grow and age into establishing his territory.
There are no alpha dogs. Nor any other greek letter. Especially not Ypsilon, Lambda, or Iota.

Back