Tips to reduce biting?

Silvervine

Citizen of Zooville
I have a male puppy at 3 months old, German Shepherd mix who likes to bite and I've tried everything I can think of to discourage it. I don't so much mind the chewing on stuff, but his tendency to chew on me until the red stuff comes out is a little annoying. I have tried giving him other things to chew on instead of me, I've tried spraying bite-deterrent on me, and I've tried the whole "yelp when he bites too hard so he knows not to do that." That last bit just winds him up more, making him bite me harder >:|
I guess I'm just worried that this habit may carry into adulthood, and given that he's a big breed, I don't want to risk him actually hurting me. He's got about 6 stuffed animals, 3 different chew toys and 2 different puzzle toys. He gets 2 walks that I've just reached 5 blocks total, as well as going outside to play a few other times during the day, lots of bonding time too.

Edit: Because I'm getting a lot of this in a pet care community I'm in, NOT USING NEWSPAPERS.

TWO YEAR EDIT: I should probably clarify, this problem's stopped. He gets a little nibbly when we romp, but that's it.

Last edited:
I have a male puppy at 3 months old, German Shepherd mix who likes to bite and I've tried everything I can think of to discourage it. I don't so much mind the chewing on stuff, but his tendency to chew on me until the red stuff comes out is a little annoying. I have tried giving him other things to chew on instead of me, I've tried spraying bite-deterrent on me, and I've tried the whole "yelp when he bites too hard so he knows not to do that." That last bit just winds him up more, making him bite me harder >:|
I guess I'm just worried that this habit may carry into adulthood, and given that he's a big breed, I don't want to risk him actually hurting me. He's got about 6 stuffed animals, 3 different chew toys and 2 different puzzle toys. He gets 2 walks that I've just reached 5 blocks total, as well as going outside to play a few other times during the day, lots of bonding time too.
This is a tough one, especially since he has toys and frequent walks. Have you any professional trainers in your area? They're costly but definitely worth it!
Especially for a German Shepherd. If he keeps up this habit, he'll no doubt cause some serious damage without realizing

Dunno about anybody else, but if I have to handle them, nipping puppies get their muzzle grabbed and held (shut) pretty strongly - hard enough to know they've been grabbed solid, not hard enough to cause any real injury or more than momentary "Hey! Ouch!" level pain - while they get a verbal chewing-out in tones intended to leave them with absolutely no doubt that they fucked up.

This is a tough one, especially since he has toys and frequent walks. Have you any professional trainers in your area? They're costly but definitely worth it!
Especially for a German Shepherd. If he keeps up this habit, he'll no doubt cause some serious damage without realizing
Sadly the only one in town is only doing it from their house, which means a six week program. I'm hesitant to let him go that long without trying everything else. Partly...because I really love that bastard and I'm already so attached to him that I think I'd cry.
Dunno about anybody else, but if I have to handle them, nipping puppies get their muzzle grabbed and held (shut) pretty strongly - hard enough to know they've been grabbed solid, not hard enough to cause any real injury or more than momentary "Hey! Ouch!" level pain - while they get a verbal chewing-out in tones intended to leave them with absolutely no doubt that they fucked up.
I'll look into that. Maybe start with a little less severe, just grabbing his muzzle and firmly telling him "no".

It may sound a bit cruel, but a bite back isn't a bad idea, but if you do it, don't just bite then stop, otherwise he might think you're playing. Hold the bite, and take them to the ground. And I don't mean bite hard enough to draw blood on him or anything, just the act of being submissive within something else's teeth is a good way to cut down on that.

Worked for a friend of mine, and it didn't make them timid or anything, they still play wrestle and play fight (which gets him bit). But if the bite was too hard, he'd bite back, stop the play session, and all would calm down again.

It may sound a bit cruel, but a bite back isn't a bad idea, but if you do it, don't just bite then stop, otherwise he might think you're playing. Hold the bite, and take them to the ground. And I don't mean bite hard enough to draw blood on him or anything, just the act of being submissive within something else's teeth is a good way to cut down on that.

Worked for a friend of mine, and it didn't make them timid or anything, they still play wrestle and play fight (which gets him bit). But if the bite was too hard, he'd bite back, stop the play session, and all would calm down again.
Absolutely not. I'm trying to avoid getting my face torn open so I'm not going to get my face that close to him when he's that wound up. And even then, I refuse to use pain or fear-based training. That Cesar Milan bullshit can stay in the stone age.

I used to grab their muzzle, very sternly say "NO!" and then COMPLETELY ignore them for a full minute or two. Maybe even designate a corner, crate or room as a time out place.

Absolutely not. I'm trying to avoid getting my face torn open so I'm not going to get my face that close to him when he's that wound up. And even then, I refuse to use pain or fear-based training. That Cesar Milan bullshit can stay in the stone age.
I wouldn't condone a bite back, but if after a stern "NO!" the pup continues to bite, follow the "NO!" by grabbing him by the neck and holding him down. This is in no way meant to hurt or frighten him, but will definitely show him that you are asserting your dominance.

Edit: Because I'm getting a lot of this in a pet care community I'm in, NOT USING NEWSPAPERS.

That sounds like a totally normal behaviour for a 3 month old German Shepherd puppy! He is teething and he mouths everything because he is inquisitive and still learning what is appropriate behaviour

If he mouths your hands or fingers, say nothing and offer him an alternative and suitable material for him to chew/mouth ie a toy or a treat. Do this every time he tries to mouth you. If he becomes too much to handle or doesn't respond to initial appropriate diversion, put him aside by himself with toys/treats/food/food puzzle to entertain himself. That way, he learns that every time he tries to sink his teeth into you, play time with Daddy is over and he has to be by himself and alone to settle down.
Don't encourage his mouthing behaviour by engaging with him anyhow. A reaction/response from you, be it negative or positive, still ultimately gives him attention.. which is why he does it in the first place.

As long as you don't encourage his mouthing behaviour as a puppy, he will get better and more sensible as he grows and matures.

That sounds like a totally normal behaviour for a 3 month old German Shepherd puppy! He is teething and he mouths everything because he is inquisitive and still learning what is appropriate behaviour

If he mouths your hands or fingers, say nothing and offer him an alternative and suitable material for him to chew/mouth ie a toy or a treat. Do this every time he tries to mouth you. If he becomes too much to handle or doesn't respond to initial appropriate diversion, put him aside by himself with toys/treats/food/food puzzle to entertain himself. That way, he learns that every time he tries to sink his teeth into you, play time with Daddy is over and he has to be by himself and alone to settle down.
Don't encourage his mouthing behaviour by engaging with him anyhow. A reaction/response from you, be it negative or positive, still ultimately gives him attention.. which is why he does it in the first place.

As long as you don't encourage his mouthing behaviour as a puppy, he will get better and more sensible as he grows and matures.
Ok that makes sense. I tried it at first but maybe I didn't stick with it long enough. I'll try again and see if he improves. If anything, he should start erupting his adult teeth by then and those teeth might be a little less sharp.

Our GSD was like that as a pup too. If he bites too hard, playtime is over, toys are put away and you completely ignore him. They will get it eventually. By 6 months it should be a lot better. Mine went from omg how is this ever going to work out to a dog that doesnt ever nip/bite, and the previous one we had the exact same thing. At 3 months its normal, just stick with it.

When I was young any time my folks wood get a new pup iand they did this they would get a a stern no and snip on the nose or gentle swat it worked well with no harm if it was done consistnatly, they would also get a gentle slap with something they were chewing on if it was not be used as a chew toy. We got them things that were meant to be teethed on such a s rawhide chunks and sticks because they like a child will need this.. They learn quite quickly what is acceptable and not. You must understand your pup is just that a pup and as such all it really understands and cares about is its wants, needs, and desires. It does not know any better yet. What it really needs is much love, kindness, and patience and direction form you. It will in time learn good behavior.

Im not a professional dog trainer.
That said, puppies often chew on stuff when they are losing their baby teeth but of course its unacceptable that its you he chews on :D
My girl is pretty submissive so training her was rather easy but in your case it might help to shock him a few times when he does it by shouting at him or even using an air horn or something else that works for you - that way you dont have to physically hurt him but he will most likely understand it

Whenever my dogs get too rough, that's just the end of play-time. We go inside, and I expect them to be quiet after that. I interpret it as evidence that they are getting tired. They might still be moving, but they are running on adrenaline and need rest. It takes more actual energy and focus to maintain good habits of obedience and remember their training.

Last edited:
I am not a professional trainer, but I am a supporter of a few. I recently heard someone who I hold in very high regard say that he never corrects a puppy; he just redirects in situations like puppy biting. I wish I would of been strict with that approach. His engagement with his pack is incredible and they have full confidence and trust in him.

Your puppy is most likely start to teeth.
I used to give my puppy cardboard to chew on. Has been a lifesaver.
Make sure there's no glue or ink on that cardboard, so it's safe if the puppy swallows some.
There's also a thing called "coffee wood", that's also a nice thing to have. Your pup can chew down on it for weeks.

I just wanted to add an observation I’ve noticed....a puppy coming from a large litter, lots of litter mates, seems to understand the difference between play mouthing and real biting better then a puppy without litter mates....seems to miss the litter mate education they all gain.....in my humble opinion....😁

A tip I read when Kain was a puppy that I employed and seemed to work was. If they get playfully puppy nippy yelp like a puppy. It's normal for littermates to playfully nip each other but they'll yelp if it gets out of control, so you give them that same "no too much" feedback that their littermate would.

We are having the same issue with our GSD,
I just wanted to add an observation I’ve noticed....a puppy coming from a large litter, lots of litter mates, seems to understand the difference between play mouthing and real biting better then a puppy without litter mates....seems to miss the litter mate education they all gain.....in my humble opinion....😁
Our boy came from a litter of 11, he doesn't really seem to care that we would rather not be chewed on or bitten. You may be right lol

You train a dog to not pee on the carpet by quickly taking them outside, so you form an association of "pee = outside."

You train a dog to not bite your hand by quickly providing them with a rope toy, so the association is, "bite = rope."

If you use the rope toy method, then say, "ROPE!" while using your hand to direct the dog's motions toward the rope, and then say, "good rope," at the instant that the dog's teeth come into contact with the rope. The idea is to train the dog to signal a desire to play with the rope toy by going to get the rope toy, in the first place.

If you do not have a rope toy, then you should get one immediately.

71t1PI78H3L.jpg
We have a few of these, and My Dogs loves to bite them and If you hold the loop, They will start to try to pul lit from you, You might try that, Just don't yank them or try to drag them, But it might help

Someone has to be boss! Put a stop to it forcefully, but without harm, or he may bite his entire life. You must be the Alpha in this relationship.

.. and I've tried the whole "yelp when he bites too hard so he knows not to do that." That last bit just winds him up more, making him bite me harder >:|
It is no yelping. The normal sound of a "that hurts like hell" in puppy communication is a shrill long squeak of very high pitch, which will shock you as a human and almost every adult dog if they hear it, it stirs fear. It's not something trained, but genetic evolutionary and as such almost the same regarding human children (just that they don't often have a reason to do it nowadays, was a different thing with barbaric living hundreds of years ago surely enough).
It is a sound which makes most canids and humans instantly imagine the worst and most painful scenarios possible which might end a life - one of the reasons why it is shocking.

Combined with an instant stop regarding the playing it will leave a lasting memory and as such remember the dog to be careful with human skin all in his life (if not trained otherwise). Not a bad thing IMHO.

Regarding loosing the teeth: Yes, an adequate toy like shown helps a lot and prevents too much teeth from getting swallowed. A bit blood through loosening the milk teeth is no problem, happens. The dog will have less time of pain and discomfort if they're out quickly after loosening, so the playing helps a lot.

Still if your skin is used for this, stop it, show your discomfort as clear as possible and go a bit over the top in your signalling. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Someone has to be boss! Put a stop to it forcefully, but without harm, or he may bite his entire life. You must be the Alpha in this relationship.
Alpha theory in canines has long since been debunked. I should also update that he has since grown out of biting me, really only nibbles when we get to playing.

Back