Thoughts on Tubal Ligation?

Hoping to get a female lab soon and I know many breeders require a dog to get fixed, and I've seen a few apartments that also require them to be fixed. I am wondering what you all thing about tubal ligation? from what I can tell it keeps the dog intact in the important ways to development, heat, and mating, but just prevents pregnancy.

One of my labs is a pure bred hunting certified blah blah. Sweetest dog in the world, and I wouldn't trade him for the world, but man has he had more than his fair share of medical problems. My other lab (still pure bred) was a craigslist find, no papers, "oops, my dogs bred" dog. No health issues whatsoever and, even at age 11, she pulls me up the mountain when we go hiking, and we go hiking 2-3 times a week. Best $50 ever spent, she is.

You can find a breeder who will accept tubal ligation, I know some do, or you can pay extra for full rights. Or you can find an intact girl on craigslist. I recommend the latter. If you're set on getting a tubal ligation though? Yup, it's the exact same thing they do for humans. Odds of pregnancy will be next to zero but everything else will remain the same.

One of my labs is a pure bred hunting certified blah blah. Sweetest dog in the world, and I wouldn't trade him for the world, but man has he had more than his fair share of medical problems. My other lab (still pure bred) was a craigslist find, no papers, "oops, my dogs bred" dog. No health issues whatsoever and, even at age 11, she pulls me up the mountain when we go hiking, and we go hiking 2-3 times a week. Best $50 ever spent, she is.

You can find a breeder who will accept tubal ligation, I know some do, or you can pay extra for full rights. Or you can find an intact girl on craigslist. I recommend the latter. If you're set on getting a tubal ligation though? Yup, it's the exact same thing they do for humans. Odds of pregnancy will be next to zero but everything else will remain the same.
Thanks for the input! I'm not exactly "set" on anything other than I'd like to have an English lab rather than an American lab because I think an English lab's energy levels will fit my lifestyle better.

The only real reason I'm primarily looking at breeders is that some breed for temperament so I should be able to get one fairly specific to what I'm looking for, whereas I'm not as sure about a Craigslist dog. But I AM looking on Craigslist too.

Tubal ligations and an Ovary-Sparing Spay are two ways to leave your doggy girl able and willing to breed.

Tubal ligation: Blocks / cuts access to, the fallopian tubes, preventing sperm from reaching the egg. Rendering the bitch unable to become pregnant, but her uterus and full vaginal tract will remain intact.

Ovary-Sparing Spay (OSS): Involves removing the uterus and cervix, while leaving one or both of the ovaries intact.

Both surgeries have their positives and negatives.

A tubal ligation will almost guarentee that the dog will be able to have sex if she is wide enough. But it doesn't help with the risk of Pyometra. In fact, it may even increase the risk, since breeding your dog and allowing it to have pups helps prevent it. Pyometra is fatal if left untreated, and in many cases requires a spay to be done since it is an infection in the uterus.

An OSS will mostly eliminate the risk of Pyometra, some cases of "stump pyo" may occur, but it's usually very treatable with medication and it is rare. The downside is that some vets will cut the vaginal tract too short. If they do this, it'll be harder to actually mate with your girl. She'll still have heat cycles, but if a large male dog ends up trying her, it may cause vaginal tearing. If they leave plenty of vaginal tract, you should be fine. But you can never know if said vet did so until after the surgery has been performed.

Last edited:
My girl is an American lab, see avatar picture. She's never had a lack of energy issue lol. I understand looking for a specific temperament though, you never know what you're going to get with a craigslist dog. I do feel I got very, very lucky.

My girl is an American lab, see avatar picture. She's never had a lack of energy issue lol. I understand looking for a specific temperament though, you never know what you're going to get with a craigslist dog. I do feel I got very, very lucky.
Haha I am moving into an apartment so I'm hoping to get a lab that is lower on the energy levels so I can walk them and play fetch in the dog park for an hour or so and have them be calm and polite in the apartment.

Tubal ligations and an Ovary-Sparing Spay are two ways to leave your doggy girl able and willing to breed.

Tubal ligation: Blocks / cuts access to, the fallopian tubes, preventing sperm from reaching the egg. Rendering the bitch unable to breed, but her uterus and full vaginal tract will remain intact.

Ovary-Sparing Spay (OSS): Involves removing the uterus and cervix, while leaving one or both of the ovaries intact.

Both surgeries have their positives and negatives.

A tubal ligation will almost guarentee that the dog will be able to breed. But it doesn't help with the risk of Pyometra. In fact, it may even increase the risk, since breeding your dog and allowing it to have pups helps prevent it. Pyometra is fatal if left untreated, and in many cases requires a spay to be done since it is an infection in the uterus.

An OSS will almost eliminate the risk of Pyometra, some cases of "stump pyo" may occur, but it's usually very treatable with medication and it is rare. The downside is that some vets will cut the vaginal tract too short. If they do this, it'll be harder to actually breed with your girl. She'll still have heat cycles, but if a large male dog ends up trying her, it may cause vaginal tearing. If they leave plenty of vaginal tract, you should be fine. But you can never know if said vet did so until after the surgery has been performed.
thanks for the info! is the only downside to the OSS that the tract may be too short? Could one use the logic of "I visit my friend often who has an unneutered male dog and if they end up tying I don't want to have to bring her in for a torn vagina, so please make sure to not cut it too short." or something like that? This reason is actually true in my case, but could that encourage them to be careful with leaving enough room or would they just do it how they do it anyways and not make adjustments based on this request?

Best $50 ever spent, she is.
Funny enough my mutt mix girl was also $50 off of Craigslist. She does have her problems, such as being hard of hearing and stubborn, as well as bi-polar around other dogs she doesn't know (although she loves people and strangers.) But she's also a lovable little goofball that brightens my day. She was also the best $50 I've ever spent.

I got my newfie from another zoo for free. But she too also came from Craigslist as well. With my newfie I couldn't have asked for a better dog. She loyal, calm, friendly towards other dogs and strangers, very intelligent, and is a loveable goofball too.

Both ultimately came from Craigslist, so you never really know what you're truly going to get!

thanks for the info! is the only downside to the OSS that the tract may be too short? Could one use the logic of "I visit my friend often who has an unneutered male dog and if they end up tying I don't want to have to bring her in for a torn vagina, so please make sure to not cut it too short." or something like that? This reason is actually true in my case, but could that encourage them to be careful with leaving enough room or would they just do it how they do it anyways and not make adjustments based on this request?
Maybe. I couldn't promise you that it would work, but it might be worth a try if you choose the OSS route. I know a zoo with a doggy girl that had an OSS done on her. She's still fully breedable and enjoys sex quite a lot. But he's the only zoo I've met that has gotten one done.

Haha I am moving into an apartment so I'm hoping to get a lab that is lower on the energy levels so I can walk them and play fetch in the dog park for an hour or so and have them be calm and polite in the apartment.

Sounds like you want a Great Dane then lol. They're actually great apartment dogs, quite low energy. 11/10 on the sexy scale too.

I've never understood weight limits for dogs. I guarantee you the that dogs responsible for causing the majority of damages to rental properties weigh less than 25 pounds lol.
Totally agree. I don't see how it makes any sense at all to limit size. I understand breeds because of supposed liability in the sue-happy US. But otherwise it should be determined by the individual not the weight imho.

I had both my girls husky and husky malamute fixed with oss and I told the vet that they're always around intact males and i asked not take any of the vaginal cavity and leave the cervix just incase they mate while in heat but he said that they take all of the uterus and the cervix out to lessen the chance of Pyro. Well they both have been bred by me multiple times after the surgery out of heat and bred a few times by some good size males while in heat and they take everything

I support all alternative options over full removal any day. That’s not just for my needs but also for less invasive procedures along with protecting much needed hormones. However finding vets to do it is hard when they are taught to remove not preserve.

I know quite a few breeders who are more open to OSS/vasectomies for the dogs they sell on pet contracts. It's much more beneficial for the dogs and the breeder doesn't have to worry about the pet owner having an accidental litter. Just gotta know who to ask.

Your apartment wants spayed so she doesn't mark and bleed all over the apartment and probably quiets them down some. You 'might' get away with it if they are ignorant of the difference but it might also come back to bite you later.

Your apartment wants spayed so she doesn't mark and bleed all over the apartment and probably quiets them down some.
It's not just that. They don't want every unneutered male dog from the surrounding half mile circle to show up and start fighting over who's first in line for breeding her.

Last month we had an oss hysterectomy done to the female dane we have here. Recovery was about a 2 weeks and she was running around like nothing happened. gave it about 4 weeks and shes back to fun in the bedroom. She will still have heats but without the bleeding which is nice due to no uterus and the procedure also came with a certificate of spay. (y)

Back