This is pretty neat -- "rage syndrome"

Porky

Citizen of Zooville
From here:

@OpelManiac was writing something about his very good boy springer spaniel, suggesting the breed to a new would-be owner. I went to look up the breed and found some (to me) fascinating stuff about dog behavior and genetic disorders:

So apparently springer spaniels have a genetic problem, which became widespread due to a single show dog who happened to have it and who was widely used as a stud dog, which causes them to go into sudden rages. "They" (you know, "them") think it's a neurological defect, at least analogous to if not a type of epilepsy -- instead of having a seizure, the dog goes into attack mode.

The Wiki article concludes (at least at the moment, until some apologist goes in and edits it) that it is not an issue of training, it's genetically preprogrammed brain damage, and the only way to stop it is to euthanize the affected dog. Or at least don't let one ever breed.

Oddly enough, pit bulls are not a breed that is listed as one that is afflicted with this problem, unlike all the known-to-be-horribly-violent breeds like golden retrievers, basset hounds, papillons, and Jack Russell terrorists. (I think I've seen exactly one article ever about a golden retriever attacking someone for no apparent reason.)

People make excuses about pit bulls all the time -- "it's the owner", "they just need to be trained better" -- what if it's not? Why is it that this sort of violent aggressive behavior is a known genetically-linked problem in other breeds, but all pit bulls are just nanny dogs?

Anyway, getting back to it, it's interesting that there is a specific genetically-linked violent behavior trait in one or more normally-considered-friendly breeds.

Man I really dislike goldens. They are the mini van of dogs, which make people believe they can slack on their training and let certain things slide.

My sister had gotten a golden and she refused to train him or add any sort of structure to his life. Surprise surprise he turned out to be a monster when he grew up and after some time he finally attacked my boy. But my big MeAN GsD was to blame.

Very interesting information on the springer!! I've never heard or read about that before. Just goes to show..purebred does not equal well bred.

Interesting genetic default. I’ve never heard anything about it either, but I never have been much of one for springers, or pure breads for that matter. Met too many people who did their research and vetted the breeder, then still ended up with health issues, vet bills, and a early death for more than I could ever reason spending on a dog.

Not saying it isn’t possible but I blame the majority of pit bull problems on the owners. If pit bulls flew into a blind rage the results would be jaw dropping I imagine. They wouldn’t stop at whatever dog caught their attention and would proceed to tear into any dog in sight after they finished the first, and maybe people also. In their mind they are boss, unless you train them otherwise.

I have personally known 2 golden retrievers who would instantly go on the attack, without warning. One second chill, next second on a mission for blood. The owners never could figure out what it was that set them off specifically, but some dogs they did not like the sight of. Met another one in Utah who broke his leash and came for my malamute from close to a hundred yards away. She saw it coming and stayed at my side, which made it easier to intercept and put on its back until the owner caught up. Met many a pit bull’s and not a one of them gave their owners the issues those Golden’s gave theirs.

Genetically modified organisms to show off our tiny chihuahapoodles and something fucked up?! Oh nooooez!

Spaniel breeds are a pain in the ass, although Cavaliers arent too bad. Ive been bitten over the years maybe a dozen times ( occupational hazard). Of those, one was a belgian Shep, one was a mini-schnauzer, who hit me twice, then turned and walked away. One was a bull terrier. All the others were Spaniels. One was a Springer, one a Brittany. All the others were Cockers, one of which was probably the most vicious dog Ive ever seen. Goldens arent usually a problem, but...theyre big and dumb. Like most breeds, the instincts are often less than desirable. Training is a must.

Spaniel breeds are a pain in the ass, although Cavaliers arent too bad. Ive been bitten over the years maybe a dozen times ( occupational hazard). Of those, one was a belgian Shep, one was a mini-schnauzer, who hit me twice, then turned and walked away. One was a bull terrier. All the others were Spaniels. One was a Springer, one a Brittany. All the others were Cockers, one of which was probably the most vicious dog Ive ever seen. Goldens arent usually a problem, but...theyre big and dumb. Like most breeds, the instincts are often less than desirable. Training is a must.
Training is voluntary stuff pssshhhh

but all pit bulls are just nanny dogs?

I wouldn't go THAT far, but I will say that for all the bad press they get, I've met a surprising lot of "Lemme crawl into your pocket and cuddle with you! I wanna be YOUR pocket puppy! You can pet me and stroke me and hug me and squeeze me, and you can even name me George!" pit bulls and derivatives/crosses. Of course, to be fair, I must also report that I've encountered others that I wouldn't want anywhere closer than the length of a catch-pole - one with the loop jerked tight and locked around its neck, thanks - to me.

Spaniel breeds are a pain in the ass, although Cavaliers arent too bad.
I reaaaally don't like spaniel breeds. in the grooming industry they are some of the most a annoying dogs to deal with. They're either scared of everything and shitting on the table every 2 seconds, biting, screaming, flailing, the works. Anything mixed with a cocker (cOcKapOo) is garunteeed to be a neurotic mess. Their hair never dries and they always stink. I'll stick to my sheps!:gsd_laughing:

Back