Thinking of owning a dog....

D

Darkmoon2020

I'm single, i'm in my 40s and I crave for affection. I am thinking that maybe a dog would be good for me.

I am doing a lot of research and there are a few things that are stopping me to get one, time, money and the desire to travel. I also don't want to sterilize my future pet unless it a medical emergency. Even if the dog is not interested in me having sex, I still don't want to sterilize them just for human confort. I know it's common in Canada but I don't want to.

I felt talking to you guys here about the topic because I can have an open mind about it and explore different ideas of owning a dog.

Any advice on owning a female dog? Can I find a vet in Canada, Quebec that will respect my decision of not sterilizing my dog?

I'm in the US but I get the feeling that Canada is very similar to us in regards to spay/neuter. Some vets will push the issue...find a new one. My current vet will recommend it once and then move on, unless there is a medical necessity. When it comes to general advice for owning an intact female dog...have you owned a dog before? It's not really much different, besides her coming into heat. For that you just need to ensure she's got a secure yard to prevent unwanted pregnancies and you're willing to keep a close eye on her lady parts in case she gets pyo. Most cases are apparent and treatable long before it becomes life threatening. Also keep in mind she will leave spots on furniture and such while in heat unless you're diligent with those pants they sell. If you get a girl and everything goes great and you're ready to try the sexual stuff there are many great threads on the subject.

I'm in the US but I get the feeling that Canada is very similar to us in regards to spay/neuter. Some vets will push the issue...find a new one. My current vet will recommend it once and then move on, unless there is a medical necessity. When it comes to general advice for owning an intact female dog...have you owned a dog before? It's not really much different, besides her coming into heat. For that you just need to ensure she's got a secure yard to prevent unwanted pregnancies and you're willing to keep a close eye on her lady parts in case she gets pyo. Most cases are apparent and treatable long before it becomes life threatening. Also keep in mind she will leave spots on furniture and such while in heat unless you're diligent with those pants they sell. If you get a girl and everything goes great and you're ready to try the sexual stuff there are many great threads on the subject.

I'm not really a material person so I don't mind if things get messy.

The other thing I need to think about is traveling with a dog(after covid), time and money.

I never owned a dog before.

I never owned a dog before.

Then the most important thing is for you to research what breed works best for your living situation and lifestyle before you make a 10+ year commitment. Every individual is different, but each breed is prone to certain character tropes. Specific personality characteristics, medical conditions, ect, can be very common in certain breeds. You don't want a husky if you're a coach potato who lives in an apartment, for example. You also don't want a Great Dane if you're in to hard core hiking.

Then the most important thing is for you to research what breed works best for your living situation and lifestyle before you make a 10+ year commitment. Every individual is different, but each breed is prone to certain character tropes. Specific personality characteristics, medical conditions, ect, can be very common in certain breeds. You don't want a husky if you're a coach potato who lives in an apartment, for example. You also don't want a Great Dane if you're in to hard core hiking.

Thanks for the advice. 🙏🏿

Back