The health of your critters, and you.

dogluver101

Staff member
For all who actually care about their health, and the health of their critters

Over my years here, I've noticed an increasing sense of unwillingness to believe that our little hobby can do anyone harm. Bestiality is one of the oldest expressed Paraphilias in the Human experience, if cave paintings are to be interpreted and believed. YET, the practices are one of the least-investigated by researchers, and the least Published about...Thus, knowledge is passed from person to person, or individuals research it themselves with little actual VERIFIED information available.

Old wives' tales, tales of how they " Do it" in that country 'way over there>>>>>'( which was a technique used by Jonathan Swift in 1726 to illustrate what he could not accuse his neighbors of),poor information and fairy tales abound....well, we have to learn it somewhere...for myself, it was OJT and public libraries, because thats who I am. I would have thought the nonsense would be easier to dispell with the advent of the net, but all that seems to have happened is that a larger tower of babble on the topic now exists.

Humans have a way of distancing themselves from inconvenient truths, much to their detriment. I cannot fix that. I can't dispell ALL the nonsense surrounding our practices as zoos and bestialists, much as I have tried; there's always some boob who thinks he knows better, no matter how true a statement is made or who makes it. But what I can do, I do...and this topic, Zoonotic Diseases, needs clarity and exposure for all who come here, for all our sakes...ostriches hide their heads in the sand...that's not because they want to get hammered by that famous Shaykh Djerbouti....it's FEAR...

Listed below are links for various animals and the possible diseases they can bear and pass on to humans, including some that humans can pass from critter to critter. These links are from University websites with FULLY accredited extension services. Y'all can argue with me all you like....but you can't really argue with the people that are paid to KNOW what they're telling other people. Washington State and Cornell are two of the finest Universities in the US and have outstanding Animal Biology departments. Name your critter; it's probably here. I included those types of creatures which we don't really discuss here for the sake of knowledge...and perhaps for the sake of reasons why we DON'T mess with those.

hxxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-swine/

hxxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-dogs/

hxxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-horses/

hxxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-cattle/

hxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-birds/

hxxps://ras.research.cornell.edu/care/documents/OHS/zoonosis_information_sheet_reptiles.pdf

hxxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-sheep-and-goats/

Thanks to Enthrusted, whose post of the swine zoonotics site gave me the idea

Thanks to Southie for reading it over for me......stay well, Compadre

Originally posted by saddlebum66 on Beast Forum

I'm surprised there's not many posts around on here about zoonotic / zoonosis diseases ? But I understand why know, you've already covered much of it here ? Though I have not yet looked through all the links ? you've found. I would like to add some more information in case something is missing or someone wants to have more sources. Hope you're fine with that. Zoonosis / Zoonotic Diseases - Wikipedia

Almost forgot, thanks for sharing your information with us! ??

I have been in contact with dogs including sex for more than the past 5 years. So far nothing too bad happened to me fortunately. But at the same time I keep my dog very healthy including brushing his teeth.
Vaccination against rabies is required by law in my country so that is mostly out of the question. My dog is also vaccinated against several other diseases, regularly dewormed, fed high quality food, protected against ticks and fleas and kept reasonably clean.
Nevertheless I believe I did get a minor infection from a dog bite (not from my dog though) once. My immune system was probably well prepared from playing with cats though. :gsd_laughing:
Most of the other diseases in the article can be avoided by taking good care of your dog and limiting your and his contact with wild or stray animals.
I think it is reasonably safe to say that if you take good care of your dog, you are mostly safe to suck. :husky_wink:

It seems from this group of people with extremely close contact with animals the occurrence of zoonosis is extremely low.

Though one thing I did notice from kissing my dog was that the spot on flea treatment affected the taste of her kisses for 2 months. This told me it was too harsh on her body affecting her taste for food and permeating her body in ways it should not.

I don't think the pharmaceutical company did enough kiss testing on their trial dogs.

Another issue that I think goes somewhat unstated is that while there are diseases we know about that can be zoonotic, the other factor is that new diseases are evolving all the time, and so there is a possibility that you may become exposed to something there isn't a cure for because it's a disease that does not normally enter the human body. This is incredibly rare but it is something we carry a higher risk for than the non-animal interacting populace.

Another issue that I think goes somewhat unstated is that while there are diseases we know about that can be zoonotic, the other factor is that new diseases are evolving all the time, and so there is a possibility that you may become exposed to something there isn't a cure for because it's a disease that does not normally enter the human body. This is incredibly rare but it is something we carry a higher risk for than the non-animal interacting populace.
Given what just occurred in Utah with 8000 Minks, I think you COULD safely add Covid to this list. although it appears at the moment that they aren't capable of passing it back. I doubt the original reports of it being Bat-transmitted were incorrect...There was an outbreak of something similar in Australia a few years ago. This was found to be passed from Equines to Humans....but was a transmissal mystery until someone noted that the horses were grazing under fruit trees inhabited by Fruit Bats....

The Pangolin may or may not have been involved....but with Covid, its really Mystery Machine time. It has just not been around LONG enough to make many assumptions. As Leftfilly said...WE have a much higher risk of vulnerability; we're far closer to the sources of new Zoonotic diseases than the Mundanes.

THAT is a scary fact....but we'll leave discussion of that to another time and another thread...we don't need the Clutter on this one

Not that I think the risk is that significant to any individual. You probably are at greater risk of you or your partner getting hit by lightning (which by the way you should totally think about maybe installing some lightning protection on your fences if you have wooden fence posts, or potentially adding lightning protection to any large trees that might be nearby. Basic safety precautions often don't end up costing that much.). It's just a risk factor increase of unstudied but probably minimal significance.

Not that I think the risk is that significant to any individual. You probably are at greater risk of you or your partner getting hit by lightning (which by the way you should totally think about maybe installing some lightning protection on your fences if you have wooden fence posts, or potentially adding lightning protection to any large trees that might be nearby. Basic safety precautions often don't end up costing that much.). It's just a risk factor increase of unstudied but probably minimal significance.
Clue me....what are we minimizing a risk of? You pointed out yourself that diseases are always evolving, and virii are notorious for doing so. If youre talking Covid, the jury is decidedly still out, since it IS a novel....bacteria arent bad at it either. With zoonoses, ANY elevation of risk could turn out to be significant, in terms of communicability or fatality. The need to KNOW the risks is serious. You cannot make informed decisions without information, QED. If a disease passes from an animal to you, why would you assume you can't pass it to another person or your own critter?
I dont want to see this thread disappear under a load of circular argument as so many threads here do. If it was up to me, I'd lock it, and only allow factual updates as required.

Last edited:
Dear me, our boys are "pampered". I have them medi-checked every Spring. They are dosed for hydatid and worms and their health is rated slightly above mine! Their teeth are cleaned every two days. And their coats brushed every day. And their diet is so important too.

I want them to have the best life.

@saddlebum66 The reason I say the risk is minimal is that most often viruses and bacteria from one animal don't survive well in another. Getting zoonosis to happen for a novel and dangerous virus or bacterial infection would be an unusual event. I don't want to keep dumping fuel on the "zoophiles are dangerous because of zoonosis" fire as that frequently is used in counter arguments against it. While acknowledging the risk is there is important. I also don't want to overstate what is realistically a incredibly unlikely event.

I think everyone here certainly has more intimate contact with animals than the average person or owner, however I think as a whole we also care for our dogs and other pets a lot better than most people as well.
my shep is clean, well groomed, healthy. He goes to the vet regularly and gets lots of excercise and play time (outside of sex lol).

I think that helps to keep the possibility of diseases down. Mine also doesn’t spend a lot of time around other dogs. 90% of the time it is just me and him which I think also limits exposure.

@saddlebum66 The reason I say the risk is minimal is that most often viruses and bacteria from one animal don't survive well in another. Getting zoonosis to happen for a novel and dangerous virus or bacterial infection would be an unusual event. I don't want to keep dumping fuel on the "zoophiles are dangerous because of zoonosis" fire as that frequently is used in counter arguments against it. While acknowledging the risk is there is important. I also don't want to overstate what is realistically a incredibly unlikely event.
I agree...but the fact remains....Theres a danger, especially when we're talking about evolving Virii and Bacteria. The course of the Corona viruses of the last few years says its a problem ongoing. More, it is proximity-related. As the human pop grows, so do the possiblities for transmission. It is not a sex problem. We who do have sex with our companions are more at risk, but generally its the overall risk to humans thats a worry. Dont downplay it. Knowledge is power.

I am among the others here that have all ready thanked you. I admit that I did not fully open every link you supplied and that this maybe included in your links. Another if you have not shared it is the fact that there are those that are allergic to certain forms of semen. It is rare but actually documented. As a precaution for any of you that may wish to become closer to your companion you may wish to test before you plunge.

For all who actually care about their health, and the health of their critters

Over my years here, I've noticed an increasing sense of unwillingness to believe that our little hobby can do anyone harm. Bestiality is one of the oldest expressed Paraphilias in the Human experience, if cave paintings are to be interpreted and believed. YET, the practices are one of the least-investigated by researchers, and the least Published about...Thus, knowledge is passed from person to person, or individuals research it themselves with little actual VERIFIED information available.

Old wives' tales, tales of how they " Do it" in that country 'way over there>>>>>'( which was a technique used by Jonathan Swift in 1726 to illustrate what he could not accuse his neighbors of),poor information and fairy tales abound....well, we have to learn it somewhere...for myself, it was OJT and public libraries, because thats who I am. I would have thought the nonsense would be easier to dispell with the advent of the net, but all that seems to have happened is that a larger tower of babble on the topic now exists.

Humans have a way of distancing themselves from inconvenient truths, much to their detriment. I cannot fix that. I can't dispell ALL the nonsense surrounding our practices as zoos and bestialists, much as I have tried; there's always some boob who thinks he knows better, no matter how true a statement is made or who makes it. But what I can do, I do...and this topic, Zoonotic Diseases, needs clarity and exposure for all who come here, for all our sakes...ostriches hide their heads in the sand...that's not because they want to get hammered by that famous Shaykh Djerbouti....it's FEAR...

Listed below are links for various animals and the possible diseases they can bear and pass on to humans, including some that humans can pass from critter to critter. These links are from University websites with FULLY accredited extension services. Y'all can argue with me all you like....but you can't really argue with the people that are paid to KNOW what they're telling other people. Washington State and Cornell are two of the finest Universities in the US and have outstanding Animal Biology departments. Name your critter; it's probably here. I included those types of creatures which we don't really discuss here for the sake of knowledge...and perhaps for the sake of reasons why we DON'T mess with those.

hxxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-swine/

hxxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-dogs/

hxxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-horses/

hxxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-cattle/

hxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-birds/

hxxps://ras.research.cornell.edu/care/documents/OHS/zoonosis_information_sheet_reptiles.pdf

hxxps://iacuc.wsu.edu/zoonoses-associated-with-sheep-and-goats/

Thanks to Enthrusted, whose post of the swine zoonotics site gave me the idea

Thanks to Southie for reading it over for me......stay well, Compadre

Originally posted by saddlebum66 on Beast Forum
Weird question but can I get a disease by my dog licking my thing down there y’know?

Weird question but can I get a disease by my dog licking my thing down there y’know?
Simple answer? Yes, risk very low, but being it will at worst be bacterial treatable. they will usually come from some thing the dog decided to eat befor doing the licking so dicipline comes in by teaching them not to eat every random thing they find

But you run the risk of getting hit by a car every day, so on the average the odds are lower than being hit by a car so I really wouldn't worry, but all ways have polysporin on hand! for nicks and scraps of both you and the dogs

Hey everyone! First I want to say that my attention is not to hurt anyone here !

I'm new here and I have some serious questions.
There is a chance to get diseases or bacteria from having sex with your pet animal like horses or dogs?
Is their pines or vegaina are risky? Like taste their cum or suck their cock?

Thanks 🤙🏽

There is always a risk in *everything* in life.
The odd of it, on the other hand will depend.

In any case you are not the first asking that.
Use the foeum search engine for things zoonosis or diseases. Or directly look for animal health threads.

There is always a risk in *everything* in life.
The odd of it, on the other hand will depend.

In any case you are not the first asking that.
Use the foeum search engine for things zoonosis or diseases. Or directly look for animal health threads.
Well yeah.. also in sex with humans I can get it.. I will search it, thanks :)

Well yeah.. also in sex with humans I can get it.. I will search it, thanks :)
Indeed. That is the long and short of it.

You will more likely get something from another human.
Or get something from a close animal you are not necesarily sexually intimate with.

An important point to keep in mind is that if one's partners are clean and healthy, there's effectively zero risk of disease, no matter if that partner is human or otherwise.

I have a question, I am new to this and been in the back of my head for a few years now, but I am scared. How do you guys know if the female dogs don't have brucellosis canis, or any other transmissible desease

Back