That's it. I need to get a dog.

Hence my query. I know there are adoption centers etc, but I want advice on how to engage with them etc.
Most adoption shelters are going to either neuter or spay the animal. You do not want this. A few of my girlfriends were able to fing dogs on craigslist that were very reasonable and one of them found a military man that had to give up his dog because he was leaving the country. That might be an option for you too.

Most adoption shelters are going to either neuter or spay the animal. You do not want this. A few of my girlfriends were able to fing dogs on craigslist that were very reasonable and one of them found a military man that had to give up his dog because he was leaving the country. That might be an option for you too.
Thank you! <3

Def not looking for a neutered pup, but also know that can make apartment hunting harder (I rent). I of course have a LOT of learning to do in terms of what it takes to take care of a pup, but especially feel like i have a lot to learn re: taking care of an un-neutered pup. I'm sure there are lots of resources out there for both.

Thank you! <3

Def not looking for a neutered pup, but also know that can make apartment hunting harder (I rent). I of course have a LOT of learning to do in terms of what it takes to take care of a pup, but especially feel like i have a lot to learn re: taking care of an un-neutered pup. I'm sure there are lots of resources out there for both.
I would say that the first thing is to consider what breed of dog. You may have a few breeds to consider. Find people that have those breeds and ask them questions.
If you are going to start with a pup then you need to know that they go through the first 6 to 8 months chewing on anything and everything. You will also need to get them trained to go outside so they don't pee and crap all over the house. That will require them going outside when they first wake up, again in about 10 minutes after eating, if they nap again when they wake, if they are real active and playing immediately afterward, and just before bed. Pups need to eat 4 times a day for the first 6 months then you can cut back to 3 times a day until they are 2 years old then you can leave food out all the time unless they just eat everything in sight.
I think the chewing stage is the worse the rest is easy.

I would say that the first thing is to consider what breed of dog. You may have a few breeds to consider. Find people that have those breeds and ask them questions.
If you are going to start with a pup then you need to know that they go through the first 6 to 8 months chewing on anything and everything. You will also need to get them trained to go outside so they don't pee and crap all over the house. That will require them going outside when they first wake up, again in about 10 minutes after eating, if they nap again when they wake, if they are real active and playing immediately afterward, and just before bed. Pups need to eat 4 times a day for the first 6 months then you can cut back to 3 times a day until they are 2 years old then you can leave food out all the time unless they just eat everything in sight.
I think the chewing stage is the worse the rest is easy.
*scribbling furiously in notebook*

Craigslist is gonna be one of your only options. Now is the time of year to look. Families getting puppies for Christmas an md not wanting them. In my area at least, I found 4 free intact dogs in just a few minutes. If you’re not too picky on the breed and willing to travel a bit, I’m sure you could find a pup today. I got my intact male German Shepherd for $75. Sometimes you just have to be patient

Thank you! <3

Everyone makes taking care of a dog seem like the huge daunting responsibility. It’s not a fish that toy just feed and forget, but it’s really not that difficult. As for taking care of an intact dog, it’s really no different and no more difficult than taking care of regular dog. If you have a male and female both intact, that’s a little more challenging. But as long as you do you research, you’ll be fine. Take the time, watch a ton of videos. Training is gonna be the most important thing and the early you master that, the happier both of you will be. Good luck!

Yes if I made it sound daunting that was not my intention. I merely wanted to point out some of the things you will need to do right away with a new puppy. Those things are also going to start creating a bond between you and your dog. He will begin to understand the things you are saying. When I say "Water" to my dogs they know exactly what I mean. All of my dogs have ways to ask for water too. One scratches in his water bowl. Another picks his bowl up and drops it. They find ways to communicate and it's funny to me because they all do things differently. I always try to use single word commands because they learn it easier. Even in naming a dog I try to keep it to a single syllable name.

Shepherd1919 is right too about this being an opportune time to pick up a puppy. Check on craigslist for your area and you might find a new friend.

Good Luck.

Yes if I made it sound daunting that was not my intention. I merely wanted to point out some of the things you will need to do right away with a new puppy. Those things are also going to start creating a bond between you and your dog. He will begin to understand the things you are saying. When I say "Water" to my dogs they know exactly what I mean. All of my dogs have ways to ask for water too. One scratches in his water bowl. Another picks his bowl up and drops it. They find ways to communicate and it's funny to me because they all do things differently. I always try to use single word commands because they learn it easier. Even in naming a dog I try to keep it to a single syllable name.

Shepherd1919 is right too about this being an opportune time to pick up a puppy. Check on craigslist for your area and you might find a new friend.

Good Luck.
Didn’t mean just you. I mean people in general. Some people literally think owning a dog is like raising a human child. In some ways yes, but not really. I had someone tell me i shouldn’t get a puppy because I have a job. Yes taking care of a puppy isn’t the easiest thing in the world. But it’s rewarding, and you’re literally shaping and creating a bond and relationship with an animal. It never feels like work to me and certainly not difficult. But of course, if it’s your first dog, it won’t be all fun right off the bat. You’re gonna have a lot of questions and make a lot of mistakes. But that’s all part of the fun

Didn’t mean just you. I mean people in general. Some people literally think owning a dog is like raising a human child. In some ways yes, but not really. I had someone tell me i shouldn’t get a puppy because I have a job. Yes taking care of a puppy isn’t the easiest thing in the world. But it’s rewarding, and you’re literally shaping and creating a bond and relationship with an animal. It never feels like work to me and certainly not difficult. But of course, if it’s your first dog, it won’t be all fun right off the bat. You’re gonna have a lot of questions and make a lot of mistakes. But that’s all part of the fun
So true. I'm used to it and having 3 puppies right now is a handful. But they already know a lot and are so loving - the chewing is the only thing I hate. They have toys but prefer shoes, or anything they can get in their mouth. The other day one bit into a can of coke and it sprayed her. I was surprised that she wasn't scared of it but she just started jumping around and tried to lick the coke up. It made a good mess and I hate coke because it is so sticky but I got a good laugh from it.

So true. I'm used to it and having 3 puppies right now is a handful. But they already know a lot and are so loving - the chewing is the only thing I hate. They have toys but prefer shoes, or anything they can get in their mouth. The other day one bit into a can of coke and it sprayed her. I was surprised that she wasn't scared of it but she just started jumping around and tried to lick the coke up. It made a good mess and I hate coke because it is so sticky but I got a good laugh from it.
That’s absolutely hilarious. My boys the same way. He has tons of toys to play with but his favorite is the toilet brush. He goes wild with it. He picks it up, and the brush part hits him so he freaks and throws it. Then he gets excited because he threw it and repeats the process all over again. Had to buy a new one because I couldn’t keep the one we use out of his mouth.

That’s absolutely hilarious. My boys the same way. He has tons of toys to play with but his favorite is the toilet brush. He goes wild with it. He picks it up, and the brush part hits him so he freaks and throws it. Then he gets excited because he threw it and repeats the process all over again. Had to buy a new one because I couldn’t keep the one we use out of his mouth.
LOL Sometimes I think they went to clown college before becoming a dog.

look if you cant afford a pet store you shouldnt be buying a animal. I was that person once and my family is that person still. I have seen to many beloved critters pass on or suffer needlessly because they(and sometimes i) had no money for that emergency pet bill. My last cat who was my best friend I lost that way and I vowed to never bring a 4 legged into my life unless I could afford it. Loosing someone you love and knowing its your fault is heart breaking. Despite your loneliness be patient. Itll be worth it.

once you are financially ready look for whatever breed of of whichever animal you desire most and look there. You may meet that special someone on the search and they may even be of a diffrent breed. Just dont bring th ed m into your life if if you cant afford it.

Any recs on how to start looking for a furry friend? I am looking for genuine companionship, not an objectifying and abusive sex machine.
Hey, good!

@Mammal-lover is right on the money.

You say that your budget is limited, but I am going to suggest to you that putting money aside for a while to save for a dog from a really good breeder might be the best thing for you.

You will not die from not having sex in the next few months. I promise you that.

Put away a little bit of money every week, live for a while on boiled rice and cabbage, skip going to see that film that got the rave reviews, and work overtime whenever overtime hours are available.

If you are really a decent person, a part of what makes someone a decent person is the capacity for delayed gratification. Make this a chance to prove to yourself that what the anti-zoos say about us is wrong. Prove to yourself that you can follow a plan and behave like a responsible adult.

You would feel a lot better about yourself. You would like yourself better.

If you have never owned a dog before on your own, let me tell you the salvation of unmarried pet-owners that need to work full-time: training pads. Buy them in bulk. Buy a lot of them. Learn to always put them down, even after your dog has been trained to prefer going out on walks, so if your dog is ever suffering from a kidney or bladder issue and really just needs to pee, your dog does not have to feel like going somewhere means that he has done something bad. Eventually, your dog will almost never actually use them because he will quite honestly prefer having a chance to mark his territory.

Serenity is dominance. This took me a while to learn. When I learned this, it was invaluable to me. Think of yourself as being like Princess Celestia. You never grow angry, and you never grow outraged, yet the ponies kneel submissively at your hooves because they know that you are serene because you are truly in charge. You are steady and unflappable like the sun. Everything that happens could only happen because you planned it long ago, maybe even thousands of lifetimes ago. Everything you say and do is intentional and has a purpose. This projects authority a lot more than shouting. If you want to assert that you are alpha, regardless of your sexual position, then always be serene and in control of what you say and do. The dog will be a lot more cooperative every single time. Be Celestia.

Since you are taking notes, one thing that I share with all people that are thinking of getting a pet is this:

Try training your dog, mentally, to well beyond his supposed ability. When you think that you have reached his limit of what he is capable of learning, keep on pushing, and keep on believing in him. No matter how confused he looks, keep supporting him, and stay determined. Always use positive reinforcement during training. Never shout. Never grow frustrated. Never scold. Just believe with the faith of a child. Always be supportive and encouraging, with a "you can do it!" outlook.

There is a reason why I am suggesting this. In my experience, if you teach a dog to think, then the dog has a more complex personality as an adult. I promise you that if you teach your dog everything that that dog can possibly learn and then teach the impossible just to prove that impossible things really can happen, then I guarantee that, one day, someone is going to say, in tones of shock, "Oh, my GOD! He is like a CARTOON!" because he has such an impossibly vivid personality, it is kind of like watching a talking cartoon animal on television.

Challenging the animal can actually increase the animal's intelligence, and with higher intelligence comes a more three-dimensional personality that is really a lot more interesting.

The anti-zoos are spreading a message that us zoos are only attracted to our dogs as sex-objects. Prove that they are wrong. Maybe we would deserve for them to hate us if that were really true, but if that is the case, then we should labor all the more to make sure that it is not true. We should labor to make sure that we always see our dogs as creatures that have three-dimensional personalities and intelligence and a capacity for independence and autonomy if we just give them enough encouragement to believe in themselves.

Because one day you will come home to this dog that was once a puppy, and you will not see a dog. You will see a strong and smart and brave and handsome man who deserves to be called your husband. When you feel that way about him, then it's time to teach him that it's okay for him to fuck you.

With limited funds, consider "mutts." And consider rescue centers, animal shelters. I think you'll be happier in a number of ways. First, of course, is money. A well-bred Labrador can run $500 to $1200 from a breeder in it for the money. A mutt might be a $50 adoption fee. Or free from someone experiencing an "accidental litter." That said, my coon hound, Labrador mix was still $400. Bloodlines also come with a premium price point.

1. The "breeds," though, often have drawbacks *due to* breeding: propensity for a heart condition, some of them; hip dysplasia, some others. Mutts are often genetically "healthier," owning to their more diverse gene pool. And very often, they are incredibly intelligent and can be easy to work with and train (our little Bo is an excellent example). But depends on the individual, of course.

2. The rescue centers and animals shelters try to get as much background info as they can, but they often don't know where the animal came from. Some, after all, were deposited anonymously, after midnight. What the agencies do offer, though, is a professional eye. They've been observing the dog, checking its reaction to different situations. They'll have a pretty good guess already how the dog will do around strangers who come by, how they will react around children or other animals. These are important considerations!

3. You said it isn't necessarily about sex. You want a companion. Perfect. Because it's a flip of the coin if any dog is going to be a sex partner. You have to be ready for an animal that does *not* want sexual interaction with you, yet still offers love, devotion, loyalty.

4. I personally downplay the comments about "wait till you have the money." But I do not totally disregard them. Do you have money for shots? Many rescue centers and animal shelters require you to sign an agreement to neuter the animal. Do you have money for that? -- Would you even do that? (One near here requires you leave a check with them that they return or destroy once you show proof the animal was neutered). What will happen if you have to board your dog? Do you have money for that? Do you have money for the first time your dog needs to be rushed to a vet for an emergency call? Automatic $300+ here for emergency visit, and this is a rural area. Metro vets might charge a lot more. My daughter in Chicago dropped $2000 on an emergency call when her boxer ate something poisonous. Then a few months later, had to do it again (ugh!). Do you have money for a good crate? It's useful for training, for keeping them out of trouble while you are occupied with something else, for travel. You'll want a good crate.

I won't spend a thousand upfront for a dog just because of its breed (my personal preference). But I do know I have to have enough money to care for a new family member. It's a huge responsibility. And make sure you mean it when you say it's not about sex. Whether or not the new dog wants that kind of relationship is totally up to that dog. Forcing that on the dog just because its "yours" is animal abuse and makes all zoos look bad. It confirms the non-zoo public's impression of us as creepy, bad people coercing animals to be sex-slaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
My funds are somewhat limited
If you can't afford the hundred bucks to adopt a dog how do you think you're going to manage feeding it? heaven forbid it swallows a twist tie and you're stuck with a 3000 dollar surgery bill. Gotta think long term. Not just something fluffy to cuddle up to that's all cute while you're bored.

Not to be disrespectful, but I just burst out laughing reading that one. Bit extreme. Have you had that twist-tie/surgery thing happen or were you just being hyperbolic?

In the interest of helping the OP out by conducting a fact-based risk assessment, I Googled for dogs and twist tie-related surgeries. I was actually surprised at the number of posters whose puppies swallowed twist ties. But none so far as I could tell required a $3000 surgery.

I think it's probably safe to get a dog, given the odds against that scenario.

In 40 years of dogs, cats and assorted other pets, I can't recount a single time we had a $3,000 surgery (knock on wood). I'm not sure there are enough instances of such a thing that we need to dissuade people from acquiring dogs unless they have that kind of change lying around. Otherwise, we just pointed the finger of shame at a whole bunch of folks here. Heck, *we* should never have had dogs, then, because we aren't that rich. We just trust that, if something comes up, we'll find the money. And we do, always have.

The other thing is, maybe don't leave twist ties lying around? Mitigate the risk? There are so many others, though. Chewing through plugged in power cords. Poisonous plants, household cleaners, etc. Until the home is "puppy proofed," lots of shit can happen

I'd like to take a quick poll: How many of you Zooville-ers put off getting a dog until you had $3,000 set aside for emergency visits?

As I said, I've had dogs for 40 years, and my parents had dogs for decades before that. Never happened. And even if posters here have had it happen, does that happen enough that it we would consider it reasonable to set down as a rule of ethics that until you have ready access to that kind of money you shouldn't have pets?

Worse thing that ever happened to us? Lab got into a grocery bag with a couple pounds of chocolate-covered peanuts (bulk). I think the vet gave her morphine and charcoal. She moaned and whined a lot that night, pooped out little briquettes all the next day, but I believe the bill was less than $300 (long time ago). And the vet wanted it right away but took payments.

I agree with the others on Craig's list. Lots of times you can find a full intact dog for little to no money.. Good luck

I disagree with the post that say that unless you can pay for a dog from a breeder, don't get a dog. Owning a dog is undoubtedly pricey, but nobody needs to spend 2-3 thousand up front for the dog.
I would never spend more than $200 to adopt a dog, but I would spend whatever it takes to treat my dog in an emergency.

Definitely look on Craigslist, there are so many people that need to rehome their dogs, unfortunately there are alot of backyard breeders who don't care about the health and welfare of the dogs, just people trying to make a quick buck.

Not to be disrespectful, but I just burst out laughing reading that one. Bit extreme. Have you had that twist-tie/surgery thing happen or were you just being hyperbolic?

In the interest of helping the OP out by conducting a fact-based risk assessment, I Googled for dogs and twist tie-related surgeries. I was actually surprised at the number of posters whose puppies swallowed twist ties. But none so far as I could tell required a $3000 surgery.

I think it's probably safe to get a dog, given the odds against that scenario.

In 40 years of dogs, cats and assorted other pets, I can't recount a single time we had a $3,000 surgery (knock on wood). I'm not sure there are enough instances of such a thing that we need to dissuade people from acquiring dogs unless they have that kind of change lying around. Otherwise, we just pointed the finger of shame at a whole bunch of folks here. Heck, *we* should never have had dogs, then, because we aren't that rich. We just trust that, if something comes up, we'll find the money. And we do, always have.

The other thing is, maybe don't leave twist ties lying around? Mitigate the risk? There are so many others, though. Chewing through plugged in power cords. Poisonous plants, household cleaners, etc. Until the home is "puppy proofed," lots of shit can happen

I'd like to take a quick poll: How many of you Zooville-ers put off getting a dog until you had $3,000 set aside for emergency visits?

As I said, I've had dogs for 40 years, and my parents had dogs for decades before that. Never happened. And even if posters here have had it happen, does that happen enough that it we would consider it reasonable to set down as a rule of ethics that until you have ready access to that kind of money you shouldn't have pets?

Worse thing that ever happened to us? Lab got into a grocery bag with a couple pounds of chocolate-covered peanuts (bulk). I think the vet gave her morphine and charcoal. She moaned and whined a lot that night, pooped out little briquettes all the next day, but I believe the bill was less than $300 (long time ago). And the vet wanted it right away but took payments.
It's a valid extreme to reinforce the overall point. If we're talking american it really wouldn't surprise me if the prices are three times more expensive here (canada) than there. I was present for the whole ordeal minus the visit. Happened to a baby Pomeranian looking "American Husky", was either pay the tab or they'd euthanize it then and there. So buddy's heartstrings were pulled along with his credit card.

Don't believe me: https://globalnews.ca/news/4041536/veterinary-pricing-costs-vary-wildly/ is the first on google.

My point, is it can get real expensive, real quick. If it's a sweat getting one or two hundred for the dog itself, how are you going to have some set aside for the new member of the family? Falls along the lines of being a responsible pet owner.

It really all depends if you are looking for a purebred dog of a rarer breed (Saint, Dane, Pyrenees, etc...) or are just looking for a good 4-legged friend. Many times people will give away or sell for a low price puppies that were "oops". Taking care of an intact dog is not any more difficult than one that is fixed. Everything comes down to responsibility and love. Just be aware that this is a living thing that deserves attention and love. Consider your surroundings and your time availability before making any decisions. Dogs are not difficult to take care of but they do need your time and attention. I have many people that ask me why the dogs I have owned over the years (male and female) are intact. My answer to them (which I do believe) is that often times spaying/neutering them makes them lazier and often heavier/bigger. I know that is not always the case....but it is an answer everyone accepts without question. Good luck!

One thing I would very strongly recommend to you is that, before you decide to bring home your new companion, consult with a few different vets in your area. Figure out how much you can expect to pay for regular visits, flea/tick/heartworm preventative, and see if you can get a ballpark in case of an emergency (say, a blockage after ingesting an inappropriate object). Get a good feel for what the cost of regularly caring for your dog will be.

Especially so, in recent times, there have been a LOT of developments in the world of canine health - e.g. the impact of early spay/neuter on chances of developing orthopedic problems (particularly in large breeds), the association of a LOT of foods previously considered "good" with causing deadly heart disease, and so on. My opinion is very strongly that, first and foremost, my duty is to ensure my animals are well cared for and loved beyond what their potential is as a sexual partner to me.

Along with this is choosing an appropriate dog for your lifestyle. A lot of people fall into the pitfall that is being pushed more and more by shelters/adopt-don't-shop people that a dog will become whatever their owner raises them as, and that is entirely untrue. Huskies are bred to have a high prey drive and to run, and individuals without these traits will be rare. Same with a Newfoundland bred to love water, and a Collie to herd. Each purebred and mixed breed will have the majority of their personality shaped by their genetics. It is your duty, both for your personal sanity and the dog's, that you do your research before bringing the dog home.

I will also say that I very strongly recommend getting a dog from a reputable breeder if you're not going the route of Craigslist/other site adoption. You will pay more for a dog that way, but any decent breeder will have their dogs health tested through OFA/PennHip/the like and will take care to breed temperamentally sound dogs, which will almost certainly save you a lot of money in vet bills/behaviorist bills. Dogs from pet stores/puppy mills and backyard breeders are not coming from people who care about anything more than making two opposite-sex dogs bang to make cash.

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen someone make the mistake of falling for the cute puppy only to have it grow into a neurotic 70lb dog that lunges and snaps at strangers or ultimately has to be put down. I have taken these dogs on from others unequipped to handle them, and have been bitten and mauled. It is not a fun decision to make to decide to put a perfectly physically healthy dog down for behavior issues, or to know that your dog had mauled their new owner after they had been rehomed.

This post was a little rambly and I hope made sense/wasn't abrasive. It's a subject very near and dear to my heart. Also, I've had quite a considerable amount to drink tonight, so please forgive me if I came off badly. :p My hope is that you'll be able to find a dog that suits all your needs and is a wonderful companion.

Back