Sheath position of canine?

sabrw

Tourist
So I'll just get right to the point.
Why do some male dogs have a sheath that hangs lower than others?
Is it because of age or more frequent sex?
I have noticed that males neutered early in life tend to have very little sheath size as well.
Anyone here Knowledgeable enough to give an informative response?

So I'll just get right to the point.
Why do some male dogs have a sheath that hangs lower than others?
Is it because of age or more frequent sex?
I have noticed that males neutered early in life tend to have very little sheath size as well.
Anyone here Knowledgeable enough to give an informative response?
Very nearly pure individual variation, not much different from the fact that (assuming you're male) your dick PROBABLY hangs to the left instead of to the right, or if you're typical, your right nut hangs a bit lower than your left. Does that mean that if your dick hangs to the right, you're somehow "special"? Nope. Just means you're in the smaller group of guys whose peckers hang right. (This APPEARS, though I have no science to back the statement, to correlate with whether you're right or left handed, but cannot be considered an "absolute fact" - just something I've noticed over the years - often enough to make me think there's a connection, but without any actual scientific proof to back up the idea)

Age PROBABLY plays a role in whether a dog has a low-hanging sheath or not, but again, no science to back it - just personal observations over the years - as does breed. Some breeds seem to be more likely to have a low-hanging sheath than others (I'm thinking mostly of the larger breeds - danes, mastiffs, bloodhounds, etc.)

Sexual activity PROBABLY doesn't have anything to do with it - I've known dogs who I can say with absolute certainty have never bred a bitch, but dangle so low it verges on comical, and I've known "your purpose for existing is to impregnate bitches" dogs that "get some" every day or two, if not more often, and looked like pups, with barely any noticeable sheath at all.

"Fuzzy" breeds may be the same as their short-haired cousins, but trying to actually see that similarity is probably futile unless it's an extreme case, or the pooch gets shaved for some reason. (perhaps abdominal surgery, or in the case of breeds like huskies or st. bernards, seasonal "mowing", particularly in hot/humid climates, so they don't cook in their own hide)

A castrated dog, particularly if done early enough to abort puberty, is all but guaranteed to have a smaller, less visible sheath purely because there's no hormones to drive the growth/development of the sexual structures, as would be the case in a dog with functional balls. If the mutilation happens later, you can expect to see shrinkage as the organs that rely on testosterone atrophy due to it being absent, and/or not being used due to the libido-killing effect that usually goes with being castrated.

So, like I said at the start, there's really no clear answer to your "why", beyond "individual variation".

Back