Shaved Vulva/Genital Area?

Sheppermutt

Citizen of Zooville
A strange question. Does anyone shave/trim their dogs' genital areas? I know it's a thing for really hairy dogs. Trimming the 'sanitary area' or something like that. But my girl is a shorthair and she really doesn't need any grooming at all. If I was to... shave/trim the fur around her vulva it would be purely cosmetic in my opinion. And I don't mean shave to the skin in the surrounding area; just enough to make it 'pop' so to say? Does anyone else do it? Is there a reason to do it? Would it make her more or less comfortable?

I do trim my girls area just a tiny bit. I just use an electric trimmer with the lowest guard on it. It doesn't make a difference to me from an aesthetic standpoint but I feel like it does help from a sanitary one.

I do. But not regularly and only in the summertime. It definitely protects her vulva from the cold and snow in winter. In summertime she gets a lot of vegetation in her long fur, so mainly therefore I trim it, but also because I like the view of her beautiful pink pussy.
This is how it looks unshaved!

IMG_20230521_120223_628_1_1_1.jpg

i dont save pictures of my dogs pussy due to me using my phone but my profile picture as "evidence" she doesnt need it

I do. But not regularly and only in the summertime. It definitely protects her vulva from the cold and snow in winter. In summertime she gets a lot of vegetation in her long fur, so mainly therefore I trim it, but also because I like the view of her beautiful pink pussy.
This is how it looks unshaved!

View attachment 398480
Personally, if health wasn’t an issue, I prefer the natural look just like that. Looks mouth watering 🤤

I personally wouldn’t do a sanitary trim on a shorthaired dog, as the clippers would need to get very close to the skin to shave already short fur and the vulva is a very sensitive area with folds that could get nicked or burned easily. Sanitary trims are typically reserved for dogs with longer coats and the fur around the vulva is trimmed using a #9 or #10 guard on clippers.

I have a Golden Retriever, and I will trim hers when she reaches her first heat cycle. I trim around the vulva of any breed with medium length fur or longer. Makes penetration and clean-up easier.
In this case I’ll also trim her lower belly fur, and upper-inner hind legs. I use blade attachments of different sizes/lengths, so that I can fade the trimming, making it appear natural, and not look as if it’s been trimmed. 😎

i shave my girl regular, her hair grows inwards and give her big pimples if to much pee/dirt collects there

even some hairs grow in her cookie, which i never seen on other dogs, they become often pimples because they are constant moist, i try to get them out then so she dont end up licking them all the time and make it worse

would be interested if others have ideas/suggestion how i can prevent that besides removing the hair/cleaning it with baby wipes regular

i shave my girl regular, her hair grows inwards and give her big pimples if to much pee/dirt collects there

even some hairs grow in her cookie, which i never seen on other dogs, they become often pimples because they are constant moist, i try to get them out then so she dont end up licking them all the time and make it worse

would be interested if others have ideas/suggestion how i can prevent that besides removing the hair/cleaning it with baby wipes regular
I’d say keep doing what you’re doing. Trim the hair short without cutting it so short that it in-grows. Then keep the area clean.
**The baby wipes may be irritating. I’d just use warm water and very diluted plain unscented goats milk soap.

I would recommend shaving so there is no risk of infection and making it easier to clean. Just be careful not to clip super close to the skin.

I've never cut one. It would look ugly and poke my face. It should be left in its natural state. When combing the fur, I also clean around the cookie if it is dirty.
I have extremely furry dogs, never had a hygiene problem, no pee, no poo in fur.

I have a friend who does it for his dog's comfort and mostly out of obligation. She has very long hair and as a result of an operation she often gets infections in her vulva. SO it makes things easier for my friend to take care.

Back