Scratch prevention

I bought my dog some boots to help prevent scratching and he seems to hate them. Are there any easier tricks to prevent the scratches that don't include cut out jeans or anything my partner or I would have to wear? I managed to get some socks on his paws without too much trouble, but they weren't thick enough and wouldn't stay on his paws.

Boots can be handy, even outside of the bedroom, so if you want to continue with that you'll probably want to pursue desensitization.
In a nutshell, you present the new thing at the same time as a positive reward; for example you bring the boot up to just touch their foot, all the while using a bit of food so that the boot becomes paired with a positive. Go slowly aand when the dog seems to not at all care about the boot touching their foot, take it one small step further and try lightly slipping it just a bit onto their foot, again, all the while the boot is touching their foot there should be a food reward. When the boot comes off, remove the food. Progress slowly and in small steps. If the dog is paying attention to the boot and not the food, you are going too fast and should back off to a more comfortable point to them.

Find some videos and descriptions of desensitization for better clarification, it's a handy skill to have and can be used to make a lot of difficult procedures easier, such as nail trimming.

Amazon, nail grinder, like $40 CAD. The single greatest thing I have ever bought for my mates.

Not sure about links so here's a product number, just slap that in amazon search B08RDKYZ8N

Amazon, nail grinder, like $40 CAD. The single greatest thing I have ever bought for my mates.

Not sure about links so here's a product number, just slap that in amazon search B08RDKYZ8N

I use a dremel with sanding drums, but same general concept. Gotta use the tool right though and have to keep alert for heating and move from nail to nail, then return for another pass for final smoothing.

I use a dremel with sanding drums, but same general concept. Gotta use the tool right though and have to keep alert for heating and move from nail to nail, then return for another pass for final smoothing.

At first i used a lower powered rotary tool with a sanding wheel too! I had it and I wanted to test if they would "accept" something like that, and it led to me buying that. The light helps with quick detection, and having a guard was a better longterm solution for me.

But you're absolutely right, you need to use it correctly, it typically takes me 2-3 total passes to completely finish their nails

That's so much better than what I use. I just use a nail clipper and a nail file.
If you get it take your time.

1. Don't stay on a nail long, it'll get hot and burn them
2. You will have to do multiple passes, leave sufficient time for a nail to fully cool down before coming back to it.
3. The top opening is good for fine tuning the shape of the tips

I appreciate all the advice. Trimming his nails spooks the shit out of me due to all the horror stories of people trimming too low and them bleeding everywhere. I'm going to order the trimmer and give it a shot while getting him used to the boots. Thanks again pals!
Edit: the trimmer is currently 57% off, $19.99. Great call and timing on that one.

If not trimmed regularly, the dog's nails will get longer, but it's important to keep in mind that the quick will get longer too, so if a dog's nails have been allowed to get long you can't just cut them short without causing pain. You'll need to trim them to near the end of the quick and keep at it, trimming on a more frequent scedule (perhaps weekly for a while) and the quick will recede slowly back to it's usual position. I prefer nails trimmed so that I do not hear the nails clacking on flooring and the clickity-clack is my signal that it's time to trim.

I find it handy to stop periodically and feel the end of the nail with a finger nail. If I can press on the end of the dog's nail with my fingernail and not feel any give, I will sand more, but as you approach the quick the end of the nail will begin to soften and you will feel some give to it, you don't want to go much farther than that or you'll get into the quick and cause pain.

As stated I use a rotary tool, a nice benefit is that you don't end up with the rough edges most guillotine type cutters will leave.
People with long haired dogs should be aware that you may need to trim the hair around the toes and be careful to ensure no hair is allowed to get entangled in the tool, it will quicly wrap around the drum and be unpleasant for the dog. Trim the hair, use care and planning to work around it keeping *all* loose hair secured and away, or use a manual cutter and a nail file.

nail_quick.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If not trimmed regularly, the dog's nails will get longer, but it's important to keep in mind that the quick will get longer too, so if a dog's nails have been allowed to get long you can't just cut them short without causing pain. You'll need to trim them to near the end of the quick and keep at it, trimming on a more frequent scedule (perhaps weekly for a while) and the quick will recede slowly back to it's usual position. I prefer nails trimmed so that I do not hear the nails clacking on flooring and the clickity-clack is my signal that it's time to trim.

I find it handy to stop periodically and feel the end of the nail with a finger nail. If I can press on the end of the dog's nail with my fingernail and not feel any give, I will sand more, but as you approach the quick the end of the nail will begin to soften and you will feel some give to it, you don't want to go much farther than that or you'll get into the quick and cause pain.

As stated I use a rotary tool, a nice benefit is that you don't end up with the rough edges most guillotine type cutters will leave.
People with long haired dogs should be aware that you may need to trim the hair around the toes and be careful to ensure no hair is allowed to get entangled in the tool, it will quicly wrap around the drum and be unpleasant for the dog. Trim the hair, use care and planning to work around it keeping *all* loose hair secured and away, or use a manual cutter and a nail file.

View attachment 323804
Excellent info. I have a Pyrenees so very useful stuff. Thanks!

I've been using old cut up pants and sweaters to avoid scruffs and scratches for some time.
Best solution as a regular i found are special "dog socks/liners". They are usually worn under these "dog shoes" and are pretty soft and pleasant
on bare skin. But i know that some dogs just don't like them. But it's also something they can get used to.

I use this brand:

Back