Safest lubrication for intercourse?

Wow, that was comprehensive. Thank you very much.
I take the conclusions that lubes should be pH neutral (in absense of some sort of professional vet-specific lube), and that her licking the residues are not really a problem (though there seemed to be some doubt as to the seriousness of stomach trouble).
If she is a female dog yes as the pH of a neutral lube and the pH of the k9 are the most compatible. I might try and create a lube pH database to help people find the best lube but busy with other projects right now.

Your saliva
Can cause infection and it doesn't act as a good lubricant. However, even if the mere consistency of saliva is considered, it is not a good lube. It is more watery than slippery and dries pretty quickly. Secondly, because saliva isn't slick, there is a lot of friction between it and the skin/ vaginal lining. This can lead to infection and micro-tearing of the walls.

Last edited:
Thanks ^_^ I will update accordingly
Not sure how big a deal it might be for the dog, be it male or female, but what about osmolality? I don't know the osmotic balance for a dog, but I imagine inflammation or irritation of genital tissue would suck just as much for a dog as it does for a person.

What about the J-Jelly ?

View attachment 177162
https://www.amazon.com/J-Lubes-J109F-J-Jelly-Flask-Lubrifiant/dp/B00ELFB72A

It would appear to be the same manufacturer as the J-lube, but no reference on the wiki.
Anything that has Parahydroxy benzoate can be considered a slight concern. It's also known as Parabens, which may sound more familiar. Parabens have been found to have a estrogenic effect, among other signs that they could be linked to health concerns of varying natures. However there's (As always) a lot more research that needs doing, both for the health effects of parabens generally, as well as the variations.
The health risks are generally recognised by most regulatory authorities, hence there is a limit on the concentration and whatnot that can be in various products. This doesn't mean that the concentration makes it safe for you, it just means that's the concentration they decided would be best to avoid people making a fuss about it at the time. Whats more, that concentration is for people, not animals, body mass plays a large role in how damaging a chemical is in a given concentration, so at least keep that in mind.

In an ideal world, you'd want something that is either considered biologically inert. However given the purpose of perservatives, that is unlikely to ever exist, so you'd either have to forego commercial products and make your own stuff that doesn't have preservatives and is for immediate use, or make up some other solution yourself, that foregoes those kinds of reagents. Not to mention, this is just one component. American products usually have far more concise disclosures than European ones, so who knows what else is in there. Maybe there's some lead in there, like the baby food.

Anything that has Parahydroxy benzoate can be considered a slight concern. It's also known as Parabens, which may sound more familiar. Parabens have been found to have a estrogenic effect, among other signs that they could be linked to health concerns of varying natures. However there's (As always) a lot more research that needs doing, both for the health effects of parabens generally, as well as the variations.
The health risks are generally recognised by most regulatory authorities, hence there is a limit on the concentration and whatnot that can be in various products. This doesn't mean that the concentration makes it safe for you, it just means that's the concentration they decided would be best to avoid people making a fuss about it at the time. Whats more, that concentration is for people, not animals, body mass plays a large role in how damaging a chemical is in a given concentration, so at least keep that in mind.

In an ideal world, you'd want something that is either considered biologically inert. However given the purpose of perservatives, that is unlikely to ever exist, so you'd either have to forego commercial products and make your own stuff that doesn't have preservatives and is for immediate use, or make up some other solution yourself, that foregoes those kinds of reagents. Not to mention, this is just one component. American products usually have far more concise disclosures than European ones, so who knows what else is in there. Maybe there's some lead in there, like the baby food.
Many thanks for your complete answer, however English is not my native language and I don't think I understand correctly all the information you are giving us.

I just can't tell if it's safe to use it or not.

For me, it's possibly yes because it's a veterinarian water based lubricant, like the J-lube.
I think, but I'm not sure, the J-jelly is the diluted version of J-lube.
And we can safely use the j-lube for intercourse.

Many thanks again for your answer !

Many thanks for your complete answer, however English is not my native language and I don't think I understand correctly all the information you are giving us.

I just can't tell if it's safe to use it or not.

For me, it's possibly yes because it's a veterinarian water based lubricant, like the J-lube.
I think, but I'm not sure, the J-jelly is the diluted version of J-lube.
And we can safely use the j-lube for intercourse.

Many thanks again for your answer !
Well, I can't tell you either. As I tried to say, it's a call on what you feel comfortable with, based on what information I could give you, as well as what you may try and go find yourself. I just hope whatever you choose, that things work out. And you're welcome!

Back