Rescue vrs pup raised

If trainability is crucial to you, a puppy from a good breeder that produces stable temperaments is your best bet. Even with a craigslist puppy you are at the mercy of genetics, which can be wildly unpredictable.

To get a dog sharp is better to go to a puppy, from a well chosen breeder, (likely meaning driving hours if not days)
I only had rescued dogs, I'm very picky when choosing them and all have deep issues from their previous lives, that could be easily avoided.
I would say the best option is adopting well risen dog, before being dumped by their families.

I would say the best option is adopting well risen dog, before being dumped by their families.
Totally, either puppy or adult.

Honestly, rescue centers here are quite abusive in conditions and usually you end up paying more for a "half life" dog than for an average pup.

As said before, adopts will have learned behaviours, fears and past stories. They can be retrained easily, but if there are traumas or phobias you will have big trouble with that.

Pups have no past history, so you can teach them. Count it will all be armaggedon and desperation (and also lots of fun) for the first year.
The important thing there is you know what you do and how to do it, or get some timely help so you do not fail in educating them in the right direction with all the common mistakes 🙃

My concern is that I'm not sure I have the time and energy necessary to devote to raising pups. This is why I have tended more towards adopting grown dogs.

When you rescue/adopt a dog you don't know, you may have to be prepared for some behavioral issues. Not necessarily of course, but many dogs are "thrown" away exactly because of that. So it's good if you have some understanding of dog behavior and are willing to work with your new mate. But adopting an older dog that you know well is a different thing. I once did that, I had the chance to adopt a female dog that I have known for a few years. I loved her, and she loved me, and even though she was 8 years old at that time, we did get some beautiful years together.
Raising a puppy is in my opinion the best way to get exactly the kind of relationship you want with your dog, and shape her just as you want her te be.

As I did, I got a German Shepherd pup and teach him basic disciplines until he is matured and 18 months older. A rescued dog, you don't know what he/she went through like trauma or different discipline taught by someone else, unless you rescue a dog younger and raise him/her at an early stage, yes, of course you can, but depends on the environment as well. Take your time and do research so when you decide on type of breed of dog, temperament etc is vital too it will have good benefits on you and the dog as well in the future 😉

Rescue, they have a more distinct personality, or rather your perspective will be that as you did not raise them, to me that makes it more romantic as they're their own individual in the sense you'll be partners on a more equal footing, but there will be more effort to get them adapted to your house rules and life style, thankfuly I have a pack and they teach each other the rules so taking some the load off of me.

A puppy will be a perfect fit in the sense that they grew up in the regime of things, but they will be more like a family member than a lover imo, so potential to make things ackward in the future

I have had rescues from 2yrls old to 7

My last woofy wife came to me at 7 and we hit it off instantly, and we where by each others side till she passed at 11

So each has their benefits and detractors, depends on your experience with dogs and life style and so on

Then you have people like me who *rescued* a puppy. Guess I get the best of both worlds? She was outside on the front porch before a hard freeze was about to set in and I watched as her mom abandoned her. She was completely feral when I rescued her (which lasted all of 3 days when she decided she wanted to be my best friend lol).

Then you have people like me who *rescued* a puppy. Guess I get the best of both worlds? She was outside on the front porch before a hard freeze was about to set in and I watched as her mom abandoned her. She was completely feral when I rescued her (which lasted all of 3 days when she decided she wanted to be my best friend lol).
Wow, that's an unfortunate and then amazing thing to have happen! I'm glad you were there for her.

Wow, that's an unfortunate and then amazing thing to have happen! I'm glad you were there for her.
Oh yeah I'm so glad I found her. She's been such a well-behaved pup! She even got compliments from the vet today for her first visit! When she's not playing, she sleeps at my feet or on the bed with me. But she's definitely not going to ever worry about anything ever again. Unfortunately the mom is feral but friendly in a weird way, so no chance of giving her a home. I got her a DNA test from Embark to see just what kind of pup she is, as there are 2 candidates for her father.

Back