Questions/tips for getting a new dog.

Maelstrom39

Lurker
Been thinking about it for a while now and finally decided to make the jump and get a dog!
I do intent to make... advances on my new companion should it be willing to let me...
My question is as following though:
What would be better for me (a guy) to get?
A female or a male?

It really depends on what you're attracted to. I'm only attracted to females animals, so I would of course advise getting a female animal. But the issue is that I'm biased. There are advantages to getting a male dog and there are advantages to getting a female dog. There are also disadvantages for both as well.

You know yourself better than any of us do on here. Those that like female animals more than males will recommend you female animals. Those that like male animals more than females will recommend you male animals. I can recommend that you get a dog over 55 lbs for a female, and over 50 lbs for a male. If you're bisexual and your orientation is split 50/50, then the way I see it, you cannot go wrong either way. Both options would probably make you happy, and both genders can be loving loyal companions that enrich your life.

It depends on what you want from the companionship of a dog. I have both a male Lab and female Lab-mix, for us I find my girl is more affectionate and clingy whereas my boy tends to be a little more independent and likes his space, but that's just them.

My girl was already spayed, but one thing that put me off getting an intact female (apart from possible puppies) was the chance of Pyometra, you should read into it if considering a female. Also, having an intact male here is fairly common whereas having an intact female is harder to talk away unless you intend to breed.

Personally I find female animals are way to bitchy much like human women. We just never get along. Males though much like woth humans are way better in my opinion. So really just look for who you get along with and whom your attracted to

Personally I find female animals are way to bitchy much like human women. We just never get along. Males though much like woth humans are way better in my opinion. So really just look for who you get along with and whom your attracted to
Maybe you've just gotten female dogs that were untrained. I have two female dogs myself. My mutt mix is spazy and a bit wild. But she's still a very affectionate and loyal dog. She came from an abusive and neglectful background but with love and dedication she's proven herself to be a funny, but also lovable dog. It took a lot of training, but the effort was well worth it.

Then you have dogs like my newfoundland girl. She is such a lovable sweet heart. She's very smart, very gentle, very loyal, very patient, and very affectionate. Although the technical term for a female dog is a bitch, she's the complete opposite of one. I really couldn't have asked for a better dog. I'm not saying this just because I'm attracted to females, my newfie girl is just an all around well balanced dog.

A few reputable dog behaviorists say that opposite genders work better. So there might be an advantage to getting a female if you are a male for example. But in the end if you really like the red rocket in your mouth, get a male. :D

Back