Questions for Owners

RickRimes

Tourist
Hello. I have some questions that I was hoping an experienced owner might be able to answer for me, or at least enlighten my current knowledge. I am married, and I assist my wife with her pup during their intimate sessions nearly everyday. So I do have experience myself, with that. My wife and I have discussed finding a female k9 partner for myself. I have no experience with female animals, so I am excited although very nervous at the same time. I don't want her to be uncomfortable, or anything she wouldn't want, happen to her. What we are wondering is, how hard is it to have an intact male and an unfixed female k9 in the same household? When she is in heat, how do you protect her from male k9 harassment? Is there a birth control that would work for her, that is safe for k9 consumption?

I would not want her to ever get pregnant by mistake or ignorance on my part, so I am trying to find out everything to help make this as smooth as possible for a potential new lover to enjoy life with me. I am not claiming to know anything, and some of my questions might come across humorous to individuals that surely know more than me. I only ask to ensure that I can provide, care, and protect her to the best of my ability.

If someone has any answers or even just an opinion, please pm me. I would really appreciate any input!!!!! :)

It sounds like you'd be entering into a dream situation. Especially if you get a doggy girl that ends up even close to as horny is my newfie girl is. But not every dog will want to be bred all the time, you're limited to the luck of the drawl.

When she is in heat, how do you protect her from male k9 harassment? Is there a birth control that would work for her, that is safe for k9 consumption?
As far as I know... no. There is essentially 4 things you could do to prevent her from getting knocked up by the male animal, but still left able and willing to have sex...

1) Get her a tubal ligation. This is where the fallopian tubes are tied or ligated. This will leave her with a womb and all her baby making parts, but will leave her unable to actually make any babies if you male dog gets to her.

2) Get her an Ovary Sparing Spay, a.k.a an OSS, a.k.a a partial spay. If the surgery is done right, her womb will be removed but all the other sexual organs will remain intact including a nearly complete if not complete vaginal tract. This will leave her unable to produce babies, but this is a form of spay that *usually* leave her able to be bred. She will also still exhibit heat cycles.

3) Get your boy a vasectomy. A vasectomy blocks or cuts each vas deferens tube, keeping sperm out of your boy's semen. He will still have his balls and still still be able to orgasm just fine. But he will essentially be firing blanks.

4) During heat cycles, keep them separated at ALL times. Make sure there is absolutely no way they can get to one another. If your dogs are not VERY disciplined expect your boy to try and pull one over you as soon as you let your guard down. Trust me, dogs are way smarter at reading our body language than we give them credit for. You can also expect your girl to exhibit "roaming behavior" where she will essentially do the same thing. She'll try to escape your confinement to go have sex with your male dog. Or you can put forth a LOT of training. But not even that is guaranteed that they won't let their instincts do the talking.

As for the three procedures I've mentioned above. Don't expect to walk into your local vet clinic and get any of them done (especially if you are in the US.) Most vets will laugh at you and try to convince you to do a traditional spay and neuter. Your best bet is to find a "holistic veterinarian clinic" which usually means 1-5 hours of road travel unless you're lucky and live near one. If you are in the US expect those procedures to cost anywhere from $500-$2,000.

Last edited:
Floofy made some good points, buuuut
During heat cycles, keep them separated at ALL times
Is tricky, depending on the male. Sure it's possible, but some males get pretty nervous and start whining when there's a bitch in heat, even if she's quite a few feet away. This might become pretty annoying. Also they're in heat for a longer time than humans, this doesn't help with the whining :D

But it really depends on the male i think. I know a neighbor's dog was always pretty calm when my first dog was in heat and they spent time together. Or he was neutered 🤔

Ask yourself this:

What will you answer if/when the vet aks why you just don't want the standard s/n procedure?

What will become of her if she declines any sexual interactions with you? Such things happen.

Floofy made some good points, buuuut
Is tricky, depending on the male. Sure it's possible, but some males get pretty nervous and start whining when there's a bitch in heat, even if she's quite a few feet away. This might become pretty annoying. Also they're in heat for a longer time than humans, this doesn't help with the whining :D

But it really depends on the male i think. I know a neighbor's dog was always pretty calm when my first dog was in heat and they spent time together. Or he was neutered 🤔
It can definitely get hairy. I have two female dogs myself so I'm limited to just the possibility of outside male dogs getting to them. (I watch them like a hawk while they are in heat.) So really, the only male they have to worry about *trying* to get them pregnant is me! 😁

I have a friend with two GSDs, one male and one female. He's really good with dogs and also a really good dog trainer, and has been training dogs for years now. He managed to not let them mate for 9 years. However one day he let his guard down for less than a minute. He pretty much looked away, looked back, and the two were tied within that short period of time! I thought I remember him saying that he untied them, but I looked it up and apparently you can't really do that. So I'm more than likely mistaken on that. Luckily, the female GSD didn't actually wind up getting pregnant at her age. But accidents do happen, even if you try your best to be responsible with your intact dogs.

Ask yourself this:

What will you answer if/when the vet aks why you just don't want the standard s/n procedure?

What will become of her if she declines any sexual interactions with you? Such things happen.
I relayed my opinion on the topic in a conversation with Floofy. I do not want to have any procedure done on the genitalia of either gender. My number one main concern regarding my lifestyle is CONSENT. I feel as if I can not force either him nor her to have that operation. I have a wife and her loving pup already. My wife and I 100% agree on the fact that we don't want to have either sterilized... I know what it means to love someone with absolutely zero return of your effort. If she does not have a intimate attraction for me develop overtime of getting to know and trust me, then id say she'll become my best friend:)

I think its easy for us to make rash judgements on each other. People see a thread from a young guy, this guy is just horny and panning for anything lol. I know, cause I do it too like" oh geez this guy is talking about giving a dog birth control. Horny basturd is gonna hurt that poor critter."
I know it comes from a good place, a place that only wants to see the animals we love so much, prosper in life and health. I hope this explains my intent and shows the colors of my heart.

Keeping them away from each other would be the only real issue I see potentially, as far as male and female dog in same location both natural. As pointed out already, in can happen almost instantly. Not to mention while your asleep or away. And, you have no real idea beyond maybe a ballpark general time when it's going to arrive, so it would be almost impossible to time it to the degree needed, unless you have means of complete and total seclusion to each other.

Having an intact female in heat around the male might significantly boost the response the wife gets from male rover at those times too. The whining mentioned earlier is primarily anxiety and sexual frustration, and it might be less bothersome and prominent if male rover has sexual access to your wife, but it will still happen because that smell is essentially a huge god-like voice in his head shouting FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK NOW FUCK NOW the entire time he is receiving the smell.

Back