Post your toys!

Thanks buddy, the entire length is around 8 inches long and it's made from platinum grade silicone. I used Shore 00-30 firmness which is pretty soft, as the rod makes the centre hard and the toy rigid.
That's amazing. I love the idea! I have been thinking about making a toy myself, but the little bit I've looked into it seems like I'd need to get a lot of kit to make it. Did you need to use a vacuum chamber? What equipment did you use? Thanks!

That's amazing. I love the idea! I have been thinking about making a toy myself, but the little bit I've looked into it seems like I'd need to get a lot of kit to make it. Did you need to use a vacuum chamber? What equipment did you use? Thanks!
Thanks, it's a lot of work but end result is pretty satisfying (in more ways than one ;)).
My basic process is to design the toy and negative mould in CAD software, 3D print to mould halves, sand and epoxy the inside until they are perfect, then bolt them together and pour the silicone. The hardest part is sanding and epoxying the moulds, silicone is really good at picking up and imperfections or leaking out of gaps.

To degas the silicone, instead spending a fortune on a vacuum chamber I found a simple £10 vacuum sealed plastic food box works really well, then I just carefully pour the silicone after to not trap any air in. I posted a picture here of one of my moulds.

Thanks, it's a lot of work but end result is pretty satisfying (in more ways than one ;)).
My basic process is to design the toy and negative mould in CAD software, 3D print to mould halves, sand and epoxy the inside until they are perfect, then bolt them together and pour the silicone. The hardest part is sanding and epoxying the moulds, silicone is really good at picking up and imperfections or leaking out of gaps.

To degas the silicone, instead spending a fortune on a vacuum chamber I found a simple £10 vacuum sealed plastic food box works really well, then I just carefully pour the silicone after to not trap any air in. I posted a picture here of one of my moulds.
Interesting. The mould is nice ! I would be modeling the form with sculpey and casting a mould from that. I have a food vacuum sealer, but I don’t know how to then seal poured silicone in that. I will have to think about it!

Interesting. The mould is nice ! I would be modeling the form with sculpey and casting a mould from that. I have a food vacuum sealer, but I don’t know how to then seal poured silicone in that. I will have to think about it!
I use something similar to these but the round bowl type ones. I use them as a mixing bowl for the silicone and then to de-gas it before pouring, not after. I pour it very slowly with the mould tilted so runs down the mould and doesn't trap any air. Works perfect every time, just takes some patience.
One tip, if you use these vacuum boxes, hot glue some foam under the green valve on the lid, it will stop a jet of air blowing back into the silicone when you release the pressure.
1611172292056.png

I use something similar to these but the round bowl type ones. I use them as a mixing bowl for the silicone and then to de-gas it before pouring, not after. I pour it very slowly with the mould tilted so runs down the mould and doesn't trap any air. Works perfect every time, just takes some patience.
One tip, if you use these vacuum boxes, hot glue some foam under the green valve on the lid, it will stop a jet of air blowing back into the silicone when you release the pressure.
View attachment 140364
Thanks! I’ll have a look out for one like this. The round one. What silicone do you recommend ? I like the idea of putting a rod in it like a baculum and having the silicone be really soft around it

Thanks! I’ll have a look out for one like this. The round one. What silicone do you recommend ? I like the idea of putting a rod in it like a baculum and having the silicone be really soft around it
I use Smooth-on Ecoflex 00-30, its pretty soft and squidgy but down side is it's a little tacky but nothing lube can't overcome. As a general rule the softer the silicone, the more sticky/tacky it becomes. You can use any silicone, just make sure it's platinum grade or food safe so non toxic. I've not tried the firmer silicone yet but it's on my to do list.

Back