Possible solution to the consent issue with dogs

anonspot

Tourist
So i've recently spoken to someone who practices something called 'cooperative care' with their dog, which is simply put, giving the dog options to agree or disagree to, or continue/discontinue an activity. The dog chooses between two options via hand targeting (touching their noise to the owner's hand associated with their choice)

For example, if I want to know whether my dog wants to play with a toy, I will hold up two hands, one for "yes toy" and one for "no toy", if he chooses "yes toy", I will bring out a toy and play for awhile. After a few minutes, I might ask "more toy" or "all done toy" so he has the choice to choose between continuing the activity or ending it.

I've been starting to incorporate this into my dog's training, starting with basic yes/no questions with words he is already familiar with, and it occurred to me that this could easily be used as a way for us to ask our dogs whether they are interested in engaging in sexual activity at the time, and satisfying their need to make choices. It does include a lot of training, and you do have to take it rather slow otherwise you might end up with a dog that doesn't actually understand and chooses at random, but I think this would be a good way to communicate with our dogs, in all aspects of life, and prove that our dogs can indeed consent to sex.

Just thought this was something i'd like to share with the community, what do you guys think? Feel free to ask any questions or share your opinion on the matter!

So i've recently spoken to someone who practices something called 'cooperative care' with their dog, which is simply put, giving the dog options to agree or disagree to, or continue/discontinue an activity. The dog chooses between two options via hand targeting (touching their noise to the owner's hand associated with their choice)

For example, if I want to know whether my dog wants to play with a toy, I will hold up two hands, one for "yes toy" and one for "no toy", if he chooses "yes toy", I will bring out a toy and play for awhile. After a few minutes, I might ask "more toy" or "all done toy" so he has the choice to choose between continuing the activity or ending it.

I've been starting to incorporate this into my dog's training, starting with basic yes/no questions with words he is already familiar with, and it occurred to me that this could easily be used as a way for us to ask our dogs whether they are interested in engaging in sexual activity at the time, and satisfying their need to make choices. It does include a lot of training, and you do have to take it rather slow otherwise you might end up with a dog that doesn't actually understand and chooses at random, but I think this would be a good way to communicate with our dogs, in all aspects of life, and prove that our dogs can indeed consent to sex.

Just thought this was something i'd like to share with the community, what do you guys think? Feel free to ask any questions or share your opinion on the matter!
It's trained Behavior.
Consent in the legal context cannot stem from trained Behavior

It's trained Behavior.
Correct, I wasn't really talking about in the legal context. I know this wouldn't hold up in court or anything, that wasn't my intention. I mostly shared this as an idea for fellow zoos to communicate with their dogs a bit better and clear up the argument that dogs can't consent

Correct, I wasn't really talking about in the legal context. I know this wouldn't hold up in court or anything, that wasn't my intention. I mostly shared this as an idea for fellow zoos to communicate with their dogs a bit better and clear up the argument that dogs can't consent
Yep, Any real zoo will already know when an animal is being consensual, I've had dogs and mares and geldings and stallions that would literally turn around and back into me with their tail to the side or straight up

If that isn't consent I don't know what else is

I would be careful with training around anything that involves sex.
Besides I have never used any kind of training for sex and I can tell with certainty when my dog asks me for sex and when he wants me to let go of his knot. This evolved naturally without any training by simply observing his behavior and responding accordingly.

If you actually put enough effort into making the dog to actually understand what they're consenting about, you would definetly destroy the "consent" argument, and I would love to try using it with my girl

It's trained Behavior.
First of all > legal fiction, is fiction.

Secondly the consent here doesnt really stem from trained behavior, unless the legal context you are referring to is also claiming that people cannot consent because people were trained to communicate consent in better ways.
Training an animal to understand how to communicate better in the context of a situation that requires consent makes consent more convenient to practice. It doesnt make it less consensual.

Where exactly does that fictitious legal context expect the consent to come from? consent isnt like pulling rabbits out of a hat.

Even if you'd solve the issue of consent in a completely foolproof, unambiguous, fully replicable way, people including lawmakers would just find another reason to demonize zoophilia for. Consider the economical impact of lawfully establishing that animal lives are "equal" to human ones and that they can legally "consent" to their treatment by humans. How many factory farms would perish overnight? Temple Grandin's ideas didn't get adopted because the fat cats felt sorry for cows, but because they cut down on costs.

That's not how it works. And you should really get away from dogs.

Back