Other than a breeder, where can I get a dog not neutered

Strays on country roads. There are tons of dogs in the country that people drop off because they no longer want them or can afford them. It is messed up, but that is the mentality of people these days.

Breeders. friends of friends. Probably them puppy stores.
I rescued my last pup from being euthanized by one of those stores at 2 months old. Him, his brother and sister, were not adopted, so they felt they had grown too large. Our local humane society drove down and rescued a group of them. With so many beautiful dogs (and cats) available, it's difficult for me to buy from a breeder.

Craigslist. There's a lot of scams, so be mindful. Many of the dogs have behavioral issues as well from what I've found. Honestly that's where I'll get my next doggo. There are dog fighting predators who look for fighting or bait dogs on Craigslist. I'd must rather take one in and provide a good home rather than the worst alternative.

Also, many breeders will have a contract stipulating breeding rights, microchip in the breeders name, and mandatory neuter/spay if not for breeding purposes. Breeders can be crazy fuckers and will come after someone who breaks a contract (most of which are well written and legally binding). I understand, but it still pisses me off.

Craigslist. There's a lot of scams, so be mindful. Many of the dogs have behavioral issues as well from what I've found. Honestly that's where I'll get my next doggo. There are dog fighting predators who look for fighting or bait dogs on Craigslist. I'd must rather take one in and provide a good home rather than the worst alternative.
Craigslist really is a gamble. I have two dogs, a pure breed Newfoundland, and an unknown mutt mix. The mutt mix I got from craigslist myself and the newfie was purchased by a zoo buddy of mine off of craigslist and eventually given to me. Both of them had their own set of problems but the mutt mix was the worst out of the two.

For the first 5 months that I had the mutt mix she was super destructive. She especially loved chewing wires, but would chew anything she could get her mouth on. Besides potty training she had pretty much absolutely no training at all. I know for a while she was an absolute headache to deal with. She was also heavily neglected by her previous owners which didn't help things one bit, obviously. She had absolutely no manners and would jump on people and lick their face as well as just generally being a pest. She also couldn't walk correctly on a leash.

While my newfie used to have separation anxiety issues and would shit on the floor, even though she knew better. She also liked to pull on her leash as well. She's a freaking smart dog and otherwise perfect.

It took a lot of time, dedication, and training but within a year of owning them most of their prior issues have been resolved. You should never go in expecting to get "the perfect dog" as properly owning canines is a lot of work. But that's true for any dog, craigslist purchase or other. If you're not willing to put in the work then it is best to avoid getting a dog altogether. Some dogs will be too much work for said individual, especially if you've never owned a dog before. But google/YouTube will definitely be your friend when it comes to training.

Last edited:
Craigslist really is a gamble. I have two dogs, a pure breed Newfoundland, and an unknown mutt mix. The mutt mix I got from craigslist myself and the newfie was purchased by a zoo buddy of mine off of craigslist and eventually given to me. Both of them had their own set of problems but the mutt mix was the worst out of the two.

For the first 5 months that I had the mutt mix she was super destructive. She especially loved chewing wires, but would chew anything she could get her mouth on. Besides potty training she had pretty much absolutely no training at all. I know for a while she was an absolute headache to deal with. She was also heavily neglected by her previous owners which didn't help things one bit, obviously. She had absolutely no manners and would jump on people and lick their face as well as just generally being a pest. She also couldn't walk correctly on a leash.

While my newfie used to have separation anxiety issues and would shit on the floor, even though she knew better. She's a freaking smart dog and otherwise perfect.

It took a lot of time, dedication, and training but within a year of owning them most of their prior issues have been resolved. You should never go in expecting to get "the perfect dog" as properly owning canines is a lot of work. But that's true for any dog, craigslist purchase or other. If you're not willing to put in the work then it is best to avoid getting a dog altogether. Some dogs will be too much work for said individual, especially if you've never owned a dog before. But google/YouTube will definitely be your friend when it comes to training.
Yep! Very well said!

While my newfie used to have separation anxiety issues and would shit on the floor, even though she knew better. She's a freaking smart dog and otherwise perfect.

u sure about training advice is best used on google? i mean im worried about them dominance training and stuff.

u sure about training advice is best used on google? i mean im worried about them dominance training and stuff.
Well, you do have to take things with a grain of salt. There are of course several different ways to peel a potato, what training method works with one dog, may not work for another. It's all a bit of trial and error by nature.

However, if you find someone advising you to over-dominate your dog or beat them into submission, you can safely assume their advice is trash.

Strays on country roads. There are tons of dogs in the country that people drop off because they no longer want them or can afford them. It is messed up, but that is the mentality of people these days.
Id be real careful doing that....strays are nowhere as common as they used to be. A dog wandering on its own is not necessarily a stray. You could find youself in the jug for theft. You dont know the dog's history, and what would you do with the "stray" if he turns out to be destructive, a random biter, or incorrectable....? Take him back where you found him and turn him loose?

Most grocery stores have a bulletin board....people list all sorts of stuff, including unwanted litters.

Id be real careful doing that....strays are nowhere as common as they used to be. A dog wandering on its own is not necessarily a stray. You could find youself in the jug for theft. You dont know the dog's history, and what would you do with the "stray" if he turns out to be destructive, a random biter, or incorrectable....? Take him back where you found him and turn him loose?

Most grocery stores have a bulletin board....people list all sorts of stuff, including unwanted litters.

We have regular dump spots rescue organizations go to help where you'll find dogs just sitting and waiting for their human return. It's sad for both the dog and some of the humans, because you know some of the humans didn't do it lightly. They knew rescue organizations frequent the spot, so they dumped them there, rather than take them some place they may face euthanasia. Especially those with "undesirable" breeds.

We have regular dump spots rescue organizations go to help where you'll find dogs just sitting and waiting for their human return. It's sad for both the dog and some of the humans, because you know some of the humans didn't do it lightly. They knew rescue organizations frequent the spot, so they dumped them there, rather than take them some place they may face euthanasia. Especially those with "undesirable" breeds.
I dont doubt it happens. I doubt that its likely to happen when someone driving down a two-lane is looking for a stray. The "dump spot" isnt being watched? Thats a crime, in almost all places In the Country....they will arrest people for dumping trash and tires, and they AREN'T going to jail someone who dumps a dog? The police have so many better things to do, they cant be bothered with a little surveillance? The Rescue people will sign the complaint....so whats really wrong with that picture?

I still think a breeder is the best way to go.
Not that I have a problem with adopting.
However i do not like not knowing what a dog has been through in it’s life. I already paid for that once.

I still think a breeder is the best way to go.
Not that I have a problem with adopting.
However i do not like not knowing what a dog has been through in it’s life. I already paid for that once.
Yep....adopting a mutt is a good thing....but it IS a serious roll of the dice

Friend tried to adopt a beautiful Shep a year or so ago...she had a friend with her...she never met the owner....her " boyfriend" was showing the dog...my friend and her friend got bitten in the first five minutes, her own friend bad enough to need stitches. The owner paid the tab, but still never showed her face. It was only obvious after the fact why she had someone else handling that bastard. Personally, Id have shot that mutt dead on the spot.

I think once I'm in a place where I can own and provide for a dog or two, I'll buy from a private breeder so I can ensure that she isn't spayed. Gotta have an intact girl after all.

That is true. They could belong to someone, and in that case, it would be wrong to take them from their proper home.

Back