Off to find his beach

WhyAlwaysMe

Tourist
I begin welling up again as I think back to this day, 5th June 2022. Just back off holiday with my partner and on the train I made a split second decision to stop at my local station rather than carry on to my place further up north in wales and come see my parents for a few days before I headed back to my uni place.

I don’t know what made me stop here but I like to think it was fate.

Our German shepherd was ill. He’d been sick for a while but he showed recovery then suddenly he deteriorated on the 4th. He made it through the day until the 5th when he began collapsing and couldn’t walk all day. He just lay panting hard. I lay with him all day holding his paw even when he went outside and was sick and collapsed I lay in the rain next to him comforting him.

Then inevitably at 21:15 he let out his last ever howl before his body gave in and he lay motionless and at peace. I lay on the floor crying into his head for another 2 hours before we scooped him up and wrapped him up in his bed with his toys to take him to the vets the next day.

It isn’t getting any easier. I still miss him so much and my life truly hasn’t been the same since. I’ve been so down and lost without him by my side. 13 years with him felt like a week. Go find your beach Maxwell. I’ll see you again someday I hope.

You had 13 good years with him and he was lucky to have you there all the way till his last. It's hard to see them go like that and it's hard to let go of them even after they have been gone for months. I had the same feeling when I decided to go back for my girl on my camping trip somehow I knew I didn't have much time left I can't explain it either it's a connection to our mates maybe but who knows. I do believe that you will see him again if not in your dreams then when you pass on. My condolences for the loss of your mate.

Last edited:
It is so hard when they go, all I can suggest is to try and remember the happy times the special memories you shared with him. The pain will lessen in time, but it will never go completely, even years later thinking of my boy's last night is enough to bring me to tears. You will never be able to forget him. I'm sure even now he is sitting on a nice soft cloud watching over you from above.

Oh, honey my deepest sympathy and sincere condolences. Always remember the good times. Losing someone you love is never the easiest thing. xxxx

I’m so sorry. He’s where the beach has perfect sunsets, gentle waves and birds to chase for miles. You’ll see him again.

Back